Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: DBEditor 1.8

Default Re: DBEditor 1.3

why can I no longer use the pack file manager ? it says it's been superseced and will not work any more.

I have recently finished overhauling all the unit sizes morales and melee defences which took forever and everything was running great. But then today I go to open my units_stats_land_table to adjust a few things after playing for a while and recieved this error.

I see that several people have asked about this, can you help me please. Why can I no longer use packfile manager which was working fine?

I then said ok maybe I just need the new software so i downloaded dbeditor only to get the same message when I try to open my units_stats_land_table

If not I have just wasted a lot of my time this week. I don't want to sound ungrateful! I wouldn't have been able to do any of that modding if it wasn't for you so don't take this the wrong way, I thank you for your time and work but again why did you make it so we can no longer use packfile manager to open and edit the unit_stats_land_tables ?

Like I said my installation was working fine until I went to open my unit_stats_land_tables with packfile manager and recieved this

my game has been crashing as soon as I start it since then.
    Last edited by jasonlbc23; August 31, 2009 at 07:17 AM.

What pack file did you edit? What's the real timeline of your actions? I find it hard to believe that the game would be working after your modifications, and then when you merely quit the game the modded pack has been corrupted. Anyway, you should be aware that DBEditor makes copious numbers of backups of your packs as you save. It never overwrites a previous pack when the backup option is on. PFM doesn't do that. This feature alone makes the switch worthwhile, but there are many other reasons.

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

Is there a way to edit the editor so we can gain access to other databases that are currently not supported by it?

Quote Originally Posted by Archimonday View Post
    Is there a way to edit the editor so we can gain access to other databases that are currently not supported by it?
    DB.xsd

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

I tried that, Still can't get it to work

Just a very small point i found when you create new tables in DB ed.

the default option adds New (table name) tables.

IE campaign variables
    becomes new campaign variables tables.

Im just wondering about the suffix Tables that is added, is it an essential part of the renaming or could the prefix new be sufficient?

Renaming of tables is doing my head in abit as some tables like it but others seem to need to be overwritten by using the same table name.....

Quote Originally Posted by LtChambers View Post
    What pack file did you edit? What's the real timeline of your actions? I find it hard to believe that the game would be working after your modifications, and then when you merely quit the game the modded pack has been corrupted. Anyway, you should be aware that DBEditor makes copious numbers of backups of your packs as you save. It never overwrites a previous pack when the backup option is on. PFM doesn't do that. This feature alone makes the switch worthwhile, but there are many other reasons.

I had edited the units_stats_land_tables and the unit_tables files inside of the patch pack file.

ETW was running for me all day yesterday then I stopped playing to edit a few things inside the unit_stats_land_table.

1. I opened packfile manager to open up my unit_stats_land_table but when I clicked on the unit stats_land_table I recieved this message

2. I thought to myself hmmm I haven't seen that error message before and why is it giving me an error message when I had just been playing ETW with no problems.
    3. Since then ETW crashes on start up but it had just been working fine 5 minutes before I went to open my unit_stats_land_table.
    4. I was very confused why my installation just started crashing so I kept trying to open my unit_stats_land table via packfile manager since that error message was what lead to my game crashing.
    5 After multiple attempts of opening my unit_stats_land tables it gave me a different error message which read DB editing disabled: the db table editor has been supersuced by dbeditor. So I thought that was probly why i was now getting the error message and also why my installation that was just working fine was now crashing.
    6. So I downloaded dbeditor only to get the same error message when I try to open my unit_stats_land_table or units_table.

Do you know why I'm getting that error message ? or why my installation stopped working?

again I wouldn't have been able to do any of that modding in the first place if it wasn't for you dude so thank you and I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, but I hope you can understand my frustration. thanks again for you time
    Last edited by jasonlbc23; September 01, 2009 at 02:18 AM.

You say you ran PFM but you show me a DBEditor error message. What gives?

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    Just a very small point i found when you create new tables in DB ed.

the default option adds New (table name) tables.

IE campaign variables
    becomes new campaign variables tables.

Im just wondering about the suffix Tables that is added, is it an essential part of the renaming or could the prefix new be sufficient?

Renaming of tables is doing my head in abit as some tables like it but others seem to need to be overwritten by using the same table name.....
    Table chunks can be arbitrarily named iirc. A general rule is that if you only want to add things, you don't need to overwrite tables. If you want to change or remove things, you do.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Roger that alpaca thanks that was along the lines of my suspicions,

it seems some unique values are over-witten in a new table but others need as you say an identical named table to overwrite and delete the old values. Technolgy unit junctions for instance if u wish to remove some techs, or u get original unit techs stills

Ai personality junctions are some table like this that im not sure if they need to be renamed or overwritten by an identical tables, to remove all vanilla ai settings. Experiments should show when i get the time.

DB 1.3 doesn't seem to like re-nmaing files as the same so i use pfm for that usually.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    Roger that alpaca thanks that was along the lines of my suspicions,

it seems some unique values are over-witten in a new table but others need as you say an identical named table to overwrite and delete the old values. Technolgy unit junctions for instance if u wish to remove some techs, or u get original unit techs stills

Ai personality junctions are some table like this that im not sure if they need to be renamed or overwritten by an identical tables, to remove all vanilla ai settings. Experiments should show when i get the time.

DB 1.3 doesn't seem to like re-nmaing files as the same so i use pfm for that usually.
    Yeah, to be a bit more precise any table that has a unique primary key column instead of many-to-many relations doesn't have to be overwritten. So building levels for example will use overwritten lines because the building level ID is a primary key. Similarly for units, unit_stats_land and the like.

Most junctions on the other hand allow many-to-many relations, so you will not be able to overwrite anything there except the whole table chunk.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

You say you ran PFM but you show me a DBEditor error message. What gives?

That is the error pack file manager gave me until I downloaded DBeditor, then it started to give me the pack file manager has been superseced message. At that time I downloaded DBeditor only to recieve this again

Would it be possible to keep packfile manager working even though DBeditor is out ? I'm telling you exactly what happened, I'm sorry if it's confusing... I'm very confused myself.
    Last edited by jasonlbc23; September 01, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlbc23 View Post
    That is the error pack file manager gave me until I downloaded DBeditor,
    Bollocks! There's no way that PFM gave you an error message titled "DBEditor" that includes a stack trace that includes functions that aren't even in PFM. You must have been running DBEditor when you got that error, or maybe you overwrote your PFM error screenshot with your DBEditor screenshot? I don't know what you did, but it can't be what you've described.

Bollocks! There's no way that PFM gave you an error message titled "DBEditor" that includes a stack trace that includes functions that aren't even in PFM. You must have been running DBEditor when you got that error, or maybe you overwrote your PFM error screenshot with your DBEditor screenshot? I don't know what you did, but it can't be what you've described.

Ok sir if you say that I couldn't have recieved that error message from pack file then let's pretend that I never got it although I could have swore I did, although I have no way of reproducing the exact error I seen when packfile first stopped working for me because it now only gives the DB editor for packfile has been supercede error, so you could be right in the fact that I never got that error from packfile but I did get an error that looked almost identical if not the same.

Anyway like I said let's pretend I never got this error from packfile

The real problem is that yesterday etw was running then I went to open my unit_stats_land_table with pack file, recieved an error, tried to start ETW after the error and it has crashed since. Another part of the problem being I can't open my unit_stats_land_table with either packfile which says it has been superceded or DBeditor which gives me the previously posted error message.

I was asking for your help and all you have been is rude as if I'm making up these issues... idk sir..

I'm not the only one having problems since the switch in programs...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlbc23 View Post
    Ok sir if you say that I couldn't have recieved that error message from pack file then let's pretend that I never got it although I could have swore I did, although I have no way of reproducing the exact error I seen when packfile first stopped working for me because it now only gives the DB editor for packfile has been supercede error, so you could be right in the fact that I never got that error from packfile but I did get an error that looked almost identical if not the same.

Anyway like I said let's pretend I never got this error from packfile

The real problem is that yesterday etw was running then I went to open my unit_stats_land_table with pack file, recieved an error, tried to start ETW after the error and it has crashed since. Another part of the problem being I can't open my unit_stats_land_table with either packfile which says it has been superceded or DBeditor which gives me the previously posted error message.

I was asking for your help and all you have been is rude as if I'm making up these issues... idk sir..

I'm not the only one having problems since the switch in programs...

Most likely your patch.pack has become corrupted, you can attempt to have Steam repair the game for you by Right-Clicking on Empire - Total War --> Properties --> Local Files Tab --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache..., which should re-download patch.pack, or you could just reinstall the game. These seem to be your only options at this point.

And for future reference, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER edit patch.pack, it's a bad idea mmmkay? The best way is to create your own mod pack, a tutorial to do so can be found here at this shameless plug.

If you use Mod Manager to figure out which pack file has the last unit_stats_land table that overrides all the previous ones (i.e. patch.pack overrides main.pack, and you might have a mod(s) that overrides it too). If it turns out to be a mod, I'd like to see the pack file. If it turns out to be patch.pack, then like Jinarik said, don't edit that.

LtChambers:

About my earlier problem; I've verified the integrity of my games files via steam and I still get my first DB Editor error - the "Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types". What does that mean exactly and why do I get it for just the unit_tables (also get a different error in PFM1.1b when trying to edit the same file? My game data isn't corrupted so what is the problem?

You're trying to save a unit_tables table to a mod pack right? The mod pack might be corrupt. Try creating and saving to a new pack.

So when are we going to see some of the other db files even partly decoded, seasons would be a great one to get going as well as others. I would do it if I knew how
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260572

Game Scripter @ Reverie World Studios

You're trying to save a unit_tables table to a mod pack right? The mod pack might be corrupt. Try creating and saving to a new pack.
    I'll try that....