Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEWS

Default Re: NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by thoscme View Post
    wow, this looks.. amazing! can you give some info about the use of the trojan horse? will it be used like a ram?
    No it will just be like a spy, and won't have a battlefield model.

The Agamemnon biography has been completed, it will be posted up shortly. You can read it at our forums for now.

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Troy_Tota...p?showforum=63
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

We are looking for 2D artists and anybody who can help add the traits and ancillaries to the game. Please contact myself or Zenith if you are interested.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Any closer to a release date?

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

If we had a release date, we would give it, wouldn't we? If only to stop people asking for one! Of course we are 'closer' - we're always getting closer. However, unless you or someone else can step forward to help with 2D art and/or traits and ancillaries like Zhuge asked for above, then we can't release yet.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

what is involved with adding traits and ancillaries?

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

A lot of complex text editing, basically. You can get most of the necessary info on it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131861

If you or anyone else wants to help out with that, you can PM me or Zhuge. All help is appreciated!

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

ah, so will aristiea have the new script? because it gets kinda sad playing as troy and beating Lydia to a pulp...
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

excellent
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

25-10-09

I think I owe everybody a progress report as it has been two months since the last major update!

Unfortunately I work alone on the mod at the moment and have considered whether I should even continue with it.

We have what could be described as a working 'alpha' except with over half the units missing.

I still need to complete the units, a huge task, and also we need to balance them, add the traits and ancillaries, debug the script and descr_strat. Complete the ui and various cosmetic things and sort some bugs. Working by myself as I am this could take 6 months... could anybody be bothered waiting that long? - and I include myself in that. I am hoping to find some help but am doubtful at the moment. I want to try to get more standard units completed before doing any more heroes, hence the lack of updates.

This is quite frustrating because playing the mod even at this early 'alpha' stage it shows great promise. The units, the lighting, the music, the hero dynamic, the trojan war itself. I would like to ask anybody who is willing to either help out, or if you aren't skilled in modding then you could always act as a recruiter and try to find skilled modders who can offer their services - I don't have a lot of time for this.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Defiantly worth completing! I am looking up modding tutorials as we speak. if anything you said in the second parigraph begins to make sense I will pm you

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

I would help if I knew what I was doing.

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can go to start to learn how to mod?
    Last edited by ROFL Copter; October 26, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    I would help if I knew what I was doing.

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can go to start to learn how to mod?

Heres a link Zenith posted for traits: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131861

Big announcement coming soon!

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Finally.

LOL, the mod was virtually dead, at least there is going to be an update.

That's heartening. I hope the big announcement is positive.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos VII Sidetes View Post
    That's heartening. I hope the big announcement is positive.
    even an 0.000....001 is positive

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Firstly, apologies for the very long gap since the last update, I feared the mod was dead and that I would never have the time or patience to see it finished. With Zenith going off to Canada and Nero being incredibly busy with real life work I was left to work on the mod pretty much by myself. With the huge number of units required and generally the sheer amount of work needed to complete the mod with little time or enthusiasm I stopped work on the mod for perhaps a month and resigned myself to the fact that it would probably fizzle out and die in time. As things would have it the other week I got a spurt of enthusiasm for the mod once more but decided that it would take too long in it's pure form to complete... as long perhaps as Napoleon total war... or its expansion/sequel! So I came up with a plan to cut the mod in size slightly so as to get a product of the vision myself and Zenith set out with rather than nothing at all.

The Cuts....
    1) I cut 4 factions of little relevance to the story or era, these include:-
    The house of Thyestes - never announced to the public it was to be an emerging faction in Mycenae to threaten agamemnons family based on the events detailed in the odyssey where agamemnon is killed by his wife and her lover after returning home. I still aim to perhaps include this in a form but not as a faction in its own right.
    2) The Paphlagones - a largely unknown faction occupying the far east of the map, even I was bored by them and so they have been removed
    3) The Paiones - Another barbarian faction or the illyrian type. It added little to the game as in my experience people don't often play as the barbarians or enjoy fighting them as much. Some of their southern territories have been given to the Thessilian faction.
    4) The Heraklidai - Not sure if this was announced before but it was certainly alluded to. The Aristeia equivolent of the dorians has been cut as their impact is never referenced in the epics, and the invasions included the sea people, dorians and other tribes and could be done in more detail. As a result I am stopping the mod short of their arrival so that only the era of the trojan war heroes and their offspring who had their own adventures need be considered.

I have also merged the Carians and Lydians (Kares + Maiones) into one faction. Both of the royal lines remain as do the carian axemen. The merging isn't too inaccurate as the carian people were mostly subjects of other kingdoms throughout their history. Their heroes will still take part in the trojan war.

With the removal of these factions there were some gaping holes in the map, so I removed a chunk from the north and from the east of the map while maintaining all of the important settlements. The thracian territories now occupy a small strip along the top adding strategic value. Now the emphasis is on the coast, creating three obsticles for east versus west.... in the south the islander nations, in the middle large areas of open sea with pirate fleets and storms, to the north the more concentrated thracians.

I also (bizarrely) increased the unit roster by adding 'guards' and 'elite guards' for each faction. These are units which will be specific to those factions only. This gives me the opportunity to bring back some of the favourite units from TTW with refitted faces, arms, legs and (mostly) improved textures.

I have also removed the trojan war script. Although this choice at the start of the game was successful (and took me at least a week to code!) it made the game very unbalanced at home if you decided not to go. i may add it back in, but this is very unlikely at this stage. Now the factions start with their armies at troy.

After all of these changes the mod is now making good progress and it gives me great pleasure to announce a release date of 01/01/10 - subject to testing.

The unique heroes are the last thing that I will be completing and hero updates should be frequent in the run up to the release day. I also intend to do a trailer/intro movie at some stage over the next three weeks and to post some screen shots/banners. This will depend on progress, everything takes ages to do when modding. Nikolos is now working on the traits and ancillaries and Tony83 is doing the unit cards.

Sorry for all the text, but I thought I owed everybody an update as to what all has been going on. The next update ought to have some graphics!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast