Thread: Why Roman Rebels?

Default Why Roman Rebels?

Hello! I had my first experience with XGM XC yesterday, found it quite hard in the beggining. The first battle against Epirus is interesting for sure, but then even if we win another full stack comes at you.. And the Gauls become hostile in the North, with only 2 Hastati to start with there capable of fighting back. But then completely unexpected was an attack on one of my cities by a full stack of Roman rebels, meaning I had to deal with not one, not two, but three fronts, completely outnumbered even if I spent the starting treasury in units only.

Are those Roman Rebels historical at all? I would much prefer the family system vanilla uses.

In my opinion the Roman rebels should be removed to give room for another faction, or even split the roman empire in two instead of the vanilla 3 (or 4 if you count the senate) and have two roman families, one to handle the barbarians to the north, another the greeks and carthaginians to the south.

I'll try again later today anyway with the new beta!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Why Roman Rebels?

If you don't like the roman rebels you can try the carthaginian senate version.
    It will remove the roman rebels and give you senate missions instead.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Give you senate missions if you play as carthaginians right?

Gauls and Pontus as well, although it's gonna be changed in later versions.
    If you're into modding I can explain to you how to swap factions for the missions as well.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Well I dont have much experience in modding RTW, more into Civ3
    I'll try the new beta with Carthaginian senate now

Well I just started a game after activating the Carthaginian senate, but playing as the Romans im allied with the Independent Greeks?
    Also, is there a way to have a Roman senate faction instead of Carthaginian?

The starting alliance with IGCS is probably a leftover from testing, they should attack you soon in any case.
    You cannot easily revert to a roman senate, however if you change the faction order in descr_sm_factions.txt (remember to back up!) you can give the romans senate missions.
    Just make sure romans_julii are one of the first three factions in the file.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I find the trick against Epirus is to park your full stack in the mountains and let them come to you. Much easier to defend, especially if you have fatigue on. Otherwise it's quite a difficult starting situation - I haven't been able to survive any other way.

well to best honest Ive played quite few of the mods here if you think this one was hard try SPQRs version of the punic war with hannibal its 2 full stack armies.. with even more elephants... granted you have 2 full stacks too which is historically accurate since the senate employed two consuls during the 2nd punic war to deal with hannibals raids but you basically need one up north for the 4 full stack gauls attacking.

anyway getting back to this mod which is much better put together the battle against epirus should be done with fatique on just adjust movement speed back to default...to be honest slowling movement speed never added tactical edge anyway its just made the battles annoyingly longer and drove me to hit the 3xs speed every fight. Whether they come fast or slow doesnt change the tactical factor of it...moving slow just makes it boringly unbearable to play and makes it too easy to counter things. Default rates allowed quick cavalry attacks and other things and you had to react or die. But anyway if you have fatique off you will always lose just because epiruses units are generally better and without their stamina factors being added in Rome looses its edge because thats what made roman units generally good because they could outlast most other troops. I shouldnt say always loose its more of a matter of whether you kill his elephants fast or not and if you get them to run amuck on his forces. Also getting hill advantages and etc you could win with fatique off but thats too tediouc and annoying because doing that I wasted time and had gauls come in from outa nowhere so.

The only thing this mod needs is serious AI improvements. I know you dont want to work on AI but we need to either A. Set a limited amount of troops to be deployed at one time depending on population level? say like you have 50k pop all together you can only deploy a maximum of 30% of that number in military strength. B. Just limit the number of full stacks the AI can have=P becauce i was playing macedon campaign conquered greek cities easily because they start with crap and then getting ready to invade asia minor here comes the bloody romans with 4 full stacks of hastati spam and the faction leader and tons of random squads of liek 4 units. My top city got sieged by like 5 AIs. at once. in the end i finally killed the faction leader and the stacks after annoying 20 turns of back and forth but as soon as i did 2 more full stacks came=P

Take into account that this mod is still in development for the balance side.
    You may also want to try the seleucids if you want a challenge, I assure you that it's difficult even on lower levels.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Thank you for your feedback. We don't claim to be the hardest mod there is, I know we aren't, instead we try for a unique, enjoyable experience.
    However, the requests you make are unfortunately not possible with RTW. Capping troop numbers and stack limits is impossible without scripts, and too hard to balance with them.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Ya i know the game has built it limitations so. Just capture the capital and usually its easy to stop them from making full stacks over and over.

and I wasnt trying to say its hard I was just saying the AI were annoying=P But then again some mods give 0 turn recruitment and the AI really turns overkill in those mods=P overall this is best mod ive played yet its not completely different and whacky like some of the others and keeps some vanilla values and adds some historical accuracy...also quick quest did you end up adding the hoplite general unit? I havnt played Extended cultures too long since im in middle of a XGM campaign with macedon.

Yep, GCS now has hoplites pre-marius and they quite do the job.
    The Best Is Yet To Come: