Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Raimi to make Warcraft movie

nopasties's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Sam Raimi to make Warcraft movie

I have not actually played the game TBH but sounds like it might be cool.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...sHXj_exvUu4Tqg
    Spider-Man's Sam Raimi set to direct movie based on hit 'Warcraft' game
    (CP) – 8 hours ago
    LOS ANGELES — Sam Raimi, who directed the Spider-Man film trilogy, is now planning to take the "Warcraft" universe to the big screen.
    The "Warcraft" world is a fantasy setting that revolves around the conflict between the rival forces of the Horde and the Alliance.
    Since its debut in 1994, the computer game has spawned novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, and board games. "Wrath of the Lich King," the latest expansion to the multiplayer online role-playing game, sold more than 2.8 million copies in 24 hours of availability and more than 4 million in its first month.
    "At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," Raimi said in a release Wednesday.
    Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic "The Evil Dead" and most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller "Drag Me To Hell."
    Blizzard Entertainment, which produces the Warcraft games, is teaming up with Legendary Pictures on the movie venture.
    "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise," said Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull.
    "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice,"" added Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time."
    There were no immediate details on cast or release date.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Sam Raimi to make Warcraft movie

it better not suck or his career is done

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Dang I was just about to break this news on TWC

I dunno just cause he's a big name doesn't mean anything, I think WC is to deep to get a story out of it.

Maybe the Thrall storyline?
    Anyone remember that one?

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

This could be really really bad, I can't see this movie doing any good

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

gambit's Avatar Gorak

This could be excellent, plus I love and trust Sam Raimi so thats hopeful.

Long as it's a "Warcraft" movie and not a "World of Warcraft" movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Aspects of the evil dead movies will hopefully make it in.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Video Games made into movies are always horrible. Resident Evil at first was alright, but then the third one sucked. Horribly.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Chances are, it'll be horrible.

... please don't be horrible.

"mainstream audience" doesnt sound promising considering most directors like michael bay assume its the 12year /subteen audience.
    if its anything like spiderman three where they turned spiderman into an Emo and made every bloody character in the film cry at some point then ill be sorely disapointed.
    now something epic like a mix of troy and lord of the rings (no overdone, overthetop CGI bs , just awesome authentic costumes . had they done that for I Am Legend i wouldve absolutely loved the movie) but obviously with warcrafts story line, would absolutely rock my socks off

How is this not going to be like LOTR. It's just going to feel like an LOTR rip off whether it is or not. Elves, orcs, dwarfs and humans all at war with each other. Thats LOTR no way to slice it otherwise.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    This could be excellent, plus I love and trust Sam Raimi so thats hopeful.

Long as it's a "Warcraft" movie and not a "World of Warcraft" movie.
    This. The Warcraft setting is gigantic with many stories to tell.

How is this not going to be like LOTR. It's just going to feel like an LOTR rip off whether it is or not. Elves, orcs, dwarfs and humans all at war with each other. Thats LOTR no way to slice it otherwise.
    Not so, man. Not at all. LotR laid down the groundwork for fantasy that most succesful fantasy settings today still use. Warcraft included. But that in no ways means that Warcraft is like LotR. The difference between WoW's Orcs and LotR's Orcs is immense. WoW's Elves vs LotR's Elves, again, the difference is immense. If Sam Raimi has a good feeling for the characteristics that define each WoW race, then we will see a setting that is -vastly- different from LotR.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    Video Games made into movies are always horrible. Resident Evil at first was alright, but then the third one sucked. Horribly.
    That's not the fault of the games or anything though.

It's just they thought having a horror movie in daylight would be quite avant garde... and suprise suprise it wasn't terribly scary.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; July 23, 2009 at 04:27 AM.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post

Because warcraft has shades of gray.Orcs are not all bad.Or elves are all good.All the races just try to expand their influence and raise their children.There is this thing called perspective in the warcraft story.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Not so, man. Not at all. LotR laid down the groundwork for fantasy that most succesful fantasy settings today still use. Warcraft included. But that in no ways means that Warcraft is like LotR. The difference between WoW's Orcs and LotR's Orcs is immense. WoW's Elves vs LotR's Elves, again, the difference is immense. If Sam Raimi has a good feeling for the characteristics that define each WoW race, then we will see a setting that is -vastly- different from LotR.
    Please explain how. I've played the warcraft games and it just seems like minor differences. Dwarves live under ground and mine junk in both, Elves are highly educated mythical I'm better then you creatures that live in woods in both, Orcs are dumb, evil green pointy ear bastards in both (cept WC4), and humans are Kingly heroes enjoying medieval type civilization.

Because elves,orcs,and overall fantasy was not created by tolkienAnd it does not have to be like lotr.Or he was not the first man to create fantasy.And there are differences if you can see.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I could have sworn I posted in this thread...maybe it was another one...

Anyway. Should have stuck with horror films.

His new one, Drag Me to Hell was awesome. And a lot of Evil Dead Trilogy camera work and hijinks. I love Raimi. Could care less about Warcraft movie. I barely played the story mode for WC3. The story never interested me. Not in 1 or 2. Certainly not in 3 or that MMO...

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    Because elves,orcs,and overall fantasy was not created by tolkienAnd it does not have to be like lotr.Or he was not the first man to create fantasy.And there are differences if you can see.
    Yeah but you're a fantasy fan. From the perspective of your average everyday movie goer it's just going to be a rip off. The differences are incredibly slight. You have to pull some sort of magic to make it seem different. In the end it's Elves, Dwarves, humans Vs. Orcs fighting what is it called Azaroth instead of Middle Earth? Big differences man. No Hobbits no ONE RING, etc. All tiny differences.

Well in your logic all movies are ripoff from each other because they have humans playing in it.They tell the stories of humans.

I am not an avarage movie goer,i don't even know much about fantasy in general.But i am saying warcraft story,characters are different from lotr.Warcarft will be telling a much different story.
    Last edited by cenkiss; July 23, 2009 at 05:36 AM.

People will always watch the same things with slight differences based on their own preferences. This isn't a "problem" specific to the fantasy genre. You just need to think about how many buddy cop movies are out there, how many rom coms, how many martial arts movies. People still watch it, even though they're watching the same thing over and over, only with slight differences. Basically.

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    Well in your logic all movies are ripoff from each other because they have humans playing in it.They tell the stories of humans.
    No. Not at all. But I'll take Rapax's explanation, I suppose.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast