Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The thing from another world [1951] VS The thing [1982]

Default Re: The thing from another world [1951] VS The thing [1982]

What was the last good movie john carpenter made?
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

In my opinion In the mouth of madness.

Vampires was borderline bareable, Village of the damned was okay but a pale shadow of the original. Escape from LA wasn't that great.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Carpenter's most recent good contributions were his Masters of Horror episodes "Cigarette Burns" and "Pro-Life".

Carpenters version, to me, is definitely superior to the original film, and it is much closer to the short story it was based on - "Who Goes There?" The whole film the first couple of times I watched it scared the out of me. It's so rare that a film actually does that. Although, I still enjoyed the first one and its use of lighting. It made it incredibly creepy.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I never saw the old one, but The Thing was scary as hell. It's amazing what you can do with stop-motion effects. Now you'd just get a CGI acid trip. A lot of the horror came from the unknown factor as well as the paranoia. You know what a modern remake/prequel/sequel will be like? I can guarantee they'll throw in the latest teen heartthrob or some hot chick like Megan Fox. The soundtrack will be nothing but forgettable heavy metal or Top 40 hits. As for the script, it'll be modified in order to "make it more palatable for mainstream audiences." In other words, it'll be dumbed down so Michael Bay fans won't have to turn on their brains. Ignorant savages. The sad thing is it'll still make millions at the box office because summer movie crowds are RETARDED.

This scene scared the crap out of me when I saw it the first time. Not the "oh wow, something jumped out and I'm surprised" kind of scary either. It still gives me chills when the head starts crawling around. There is not one modern horror movie that can do the same.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    2:06 is one of the best lines in movie history.
    It's probably one of the most suited lines as well.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I never saw the old one, but The Thing was scary as hell. It's amazing what you can do with stop-motion effects. Now you'd just get a CGI acid trip
    Hate to necro, but this guy was right.

The Thing Prequel, 2011:

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12