Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates

Misery's Avatar Tiro

Default Pirates

Is there any way to slow down pirates, in my game they are running around with full fleets in every theater except Europe. No other nation has any ships in trade theater.

I finally build up full stack of navy (4's mainly) sailed to Brazil and defeated full stack of pirates with half of my fleet sunk. Press end turn and guess what 2nd fleet of pirates hit me and took down all my ships.

Their fleets are mainly Galleons which are not really a pushover

Ducenarius

Default Re: Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    Is there any way to slow down pirates, in my game they are running around with full fleets in every theater except Europe. No other nation has any ships in trade theater.

I finally build up full stack of navy (4's mainly) sailed to Brazil and defeated full stack of pirates with half of my fleet sunk. Press end turn and guess what 2nd fleet of pirates hit me and took down all my ships.

Their fleets are mainly Galleons which are not really a pushover

Bypass their fleets and just invade their two dinky little islands. Even if you go for just one of them real early this leaves them with a single shipyard with which to build up their fleets even more. The problem with this, is it still leaves their starting fleets (which are the best in the game next to Britain) floating around. Take out both islands and they all disappear without having to fight them, this can bite you later on though if you enjoy a pirate presence throughout your campaign.

The other benefit to Pirates is it keeps the AI out of the trade nodes. As soon as you beat pirates AI factions will finally start to take more, though I am in 1770s in a Genoa Campaign, pirates long been dead, and the only trade fleets I see are Marathas, Denmark, 13 and UPs and theres still ALOT of nodes open. Then again, I'm seiging pretty much every other nation in the game on and off.
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

You have a chance to annihilate the first pirate fleet off Hispaniola on turn one. After that either invade Antigua or if that's not possible, send a sloop or brig to destroy their ports. The AI won't continually garrison them. When you destroy the port, they lose income. And if they were constructing a ship it's lost as well.

As the British I like taking Antigua because it's a naval as opposed to commercial yard. This will hold them down until you can take Antigua and Trinidad.
    Last edited by Siculus; July 22, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espańa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

thsi version of APE TI removes the pirates ability to build galleons, flyuts and race built galleons or so i understand

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by boche View Post
    thsi version of APE TI removes the pirates ability to build galleons, flyuts and race built galleons or so i understand
    This is true!

Also, the pirates only start with a few fleets and only two of them (that I recall) have galleons/fluyts; so once you take those fleets down you won't be seeing any more of them!

EDIT: Sorry for quoting race-built galleons -- in my post to respond though I only listed galleons and fluyts, sorry for the confusion!
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; July 22, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I captured a race-built galleon from the pirates.

I just ran into a squadron of four Pirate fast galleons near Antigua. They are still building them.

Okay by me.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; July 22, 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Merged

Quote Originally Posted by Siculus View Post
    I captured a race-built galleon from the pirates.

I just ran into a squadron of four Pirate fast galleons near Antigua. They are still building them.

Okay by me.
    Well, that would make sense considering no one said they don't build Race-Built Galleons anymore.

Pirates no longer build Galleons and Fluyts.

A Race-Built Galleon is a 27-gun, 1800 hull vessel.

A Galleon is a 58-gun, 4600 hull vessel.

Race-Built Galleons shouldn't be giving the player or the AI any trouble so they were NOT removed.

Here is a list of the ships pirates can recruit;
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

ALSO: The pirates DO still start with 2 5th rates, 1 Galleon, and 1 Fluyt -- as noted in the changelog!

Misery's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    Well, that would make sense considering no one said they don't build Race-Built Galleons anymore.

Pirates no longer build Galleons and Fluyts.

A Race-Built Galleon is a 27-gun, 1800 hull vessel.

A Galleon is a 58-gun, 4600 hull vessel.

Race-Built Galleons shouldn't be giving the player or the AI any trouble so they were NOT removed.

Here is a list of the ships pirates can recruit;

ALSO: The pirates DO still start with 2 5th rates, 1 Galleon, and 1 Fluyt -- as noted in the changelog!
    I got latest version and pirates fleets definitely have "Galleon a 58-gun, 4600 hull vessel" majority of their fleets have 50% these ships.

I started as Portugal it was not easy to assemble navy early on and take down those islands as Spain was blockading my ports

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Screen shot?

Misery's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Screen shot?
    I will get one when I get back, heheh sitting at work atm can not load games up

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    I will get one when I get back, heheh sitting at work atm can not load games up
    If you have pirates with 50% galleon fleets (and not race-built galleons) then you are using another mod that changes what the pirates can recruit.

We replace the entire recruitment tables.

One of the easiest ways to confirm this? Simply play a campaign as the pirates and check their ports; it is very easy to see.

Here, some screenshots of their highest level docks -- 4 ships are recruitable: xebecs, brigs, sloops, and 5th rate admirals;

I have been destroing full stacks of pirates with 5 5th rates (with experience of course). A bunch of little ships do not a fleet make.

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

Under 13 (COPPA)

I`ll need a large group of 5th rates to take down heaps of pirate fleets even without exp!!

Yes, I am only seeing the race-built galleons. Perfectly manageable.

Misery's Avatar Tiro

I don't know mate, but its happening to me all the time. I only have this mod installed nothing extra.

Here is pick from my bro's campaign... Pirates have one island franch took over 2nd one but he is heaving similar issues. every trade theater has fleets like this.

4 Galleon and 4 Fluyt + bunch of others

Misery's Avatar Tiro

Could they capture ships from other races then maybe repair them?

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Just a thought: maybe they captured them?

[edit:]Great minds think alike etc
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

There has to be something with the way your mods are loading. I am not seeing anything like that in my game. I'm up to 1726 and I've been to every corner of the globe.

The fleet in the screenshot above is the UP's starting fleet isn't it?

Yes, they CAN still capture ships.

Bunch of fluyts in the West Indies -- it looks like the ENTIRE UP fleet is pirate though.

I wonder what is going on.

I'll look into that, you guys keep me updated!

Why bother taking the islands (they produce sugar which is the worst selling resource in the game) when you can park a sloop in the port and keep em locked down for good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast