Thread: Archers own Generals bodyguard?

Default Archers own Generals bodyguard?

I was just playin XGM, as Rome, and i was fighting off the Independent Greeks (still early in the game), and i Took my faction leader Flavius Julius (49 Units) and a Group of upgraded Equites to whipe out the enemey archers/slingers..and they whiped my horses out...I watched my generals bodyguard drop from 49 to 20 in a matter of seconds and my Equites routed... and it was just a group of 80 archers!
    And I noticed that The general plays more of a important role then the oringal RTW, before you could loose him and your army would fight on still, now you loose him, and its a matter of seconds before your army routs.

Anyways great MoD! Just them dastardly archers seema bit to overpowerd

Default Re: Archers own Generals bodyguard?

The enemy is hugely overpowered if you play VH in battles (+7).
    If you want realistic battle outcomes, you might want to switch to M/M.

I'm immortal! Unfortunately it wears off after 80 years..

it wasnt VH, it was H/H

Primicerius

Same deal, you probably didn't get off a proper charge, may have been fatigued, and may have been fighting in scrub/brush giving you a penalty (you can't really tell when your fighting in this). H also gives +4 morale and +4 attack and if you play on 2 HP, yes, since a generals bodyguard is half size cavalry, it could very well lose to an archer unit.

It was a charge down a hill, and they were Fresh and i flanked behind them, and i always thought the generals body guard was l33t, and not pushovers =p

The general's unit don't have extra HP like they do in vanilla, so in effect it's just a half-strength unit of decent cavalry (with a general). This means it has a lot less staying power than it had in vanilla, so you do need to use, hell, abuse the charge bonus. Line your unit up properly, charge them, pull them out in a couple of seconds, rinse and repeat. To compensate, though, cavalry in XGM have higher charge bonuses.

ah, i see. now when you say line your unit up right, whats the best line up? a straight line like or a block? and im going to post my empire on "post your empires" before night

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

For an ideal charge put your men in a line three ranks deep, and make sure they are facing directly towards the target unit.

will do!

Whats V/H and M/M
    and H and stuff
    To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.
    -Isaac Newton

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
    -Isaac Newton

Kimster2: Difficulty levels; VH = Very Hard, H = Hard, M = Medium, E = Easy. So H/H means the campaign difficulty and the battle difficulty are both set to hard.

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

didn't someone already mentioned this or am I dreaming?

attacking with cavalry must be with alt+click so that they use their swords

Civis

..............when it is skirmisher cavalry

Using alt+attack works quite will with spear/sword cavalry as well. They will use their spears in the charge and then switch to swords (which are typically a little bit better in melee).