Thread: High Defintion TV's, a Human Right?

Default High Defintion TV's, a Human Right?

Article 27.

• (1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
    -From the UN Delcaration of Human Rights

Seeing as how my family did not always have a TV (we couldn't afford to have a broken tv repaired for almost a year) when I was growing up, I now realize that, according to the UN, I was being denied my human right to enjoy art.

Now in the present day culture can only be fully appreciated in high resolution 1080p with 120hz (and for 1080p to worthwhile one needs a screen of at least 50 inches) But seeing as I cannot afford even a budget model that meets those specifications (as I have spent my earning on things like things food and shelter and whackoff magizines) I demand the government fulfill it obligation and provide me with this meagre request. Afterall why should have to have to be concerned with buying my own television (we will leave aside things like a blue ray DVD player and 7.1 surround sound.)

Afterall the UN has declared culture a human right (only 2 below health care!)
    Last edited by The Devil's Sergeant; July 20, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Default Re: High Defintion TV's, a Human Right?

Well, I don't know what to think of the UN human rights thing, they seem so...Western. Don't one of them say that people have to right to choose their government officials? That is not the case with a lot of UN members (including China, which is one of the top members. Ironic).

As for the TV, is there really that much art on TV nowadays?
    Member of S.I.N|Patronized by Boeing
    "You cannot convince a man who cannot convince himself that he might be wrong"-Finsternis
    “The great mass of people will more easily fall victim
    to a big lie than to a small one.”
    -Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf(1925)
    "
    There are two kinds of people who don't care about politics: the ones too dumb to care and the ones too smart to care" - Finsternis

Surely this article must mean something. If we take this as seriously as article 25 then shouldn't, say, all concerts be free admission?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Sure, and space trip too.

I demand the gov't to give free HDTV's!!

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

It's a typo. They missed the "F".

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

You have a right to whatever you can get, by any means...

So yeah!

Were is my T.V.!!!

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

Everyone should have the right buy a TV.
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

I think the correct response to this question is that the UN Declaration of Human rights would be better off printed on two-ply.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Poor Eleanor, communist, a threat to the status quo.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

And so you do have the right to enjoy art and share in scientific advancement, as long as you have a high paying job and rich parents to facilitate it.

The DHR is an idealistic list, and no country either does or claims to implement it in its entirety. Feel free to complain to Amnesty International, but don't expect your country to do anything about it. Besides, how can such a thing be implemented in a Capitalist society?

Ironic really, that countries like the US are in UN at all when their constitution itself is so much against what it stand for. Not that the US cares about human rights of course.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
    Tv is not cultural life of the community ~ lack of TV would be.

…but I do think we should all have a trip on the space shuttle and in the future I demand a robot that I can have sex with.

UN is so laim, how about the right to land?

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

Go to a pub with a sweet ass T.V. Or befriend someone with one.
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Daeger's Avatar Semisalis

yea! Free 50" plasma TV for everyone! I am totally pissed that I had to pay for mine when it's part of my human rights to have one.

I am a student and I can afford a 50" full-hd plasma TV. I think anyone who has even a little income, can do that if they really want it and bother to plan their spending. The article propably means that no-one should deny your right to own a TV, which you can buy yourself, or not let you watch it freely as much as you want..
    Last edited by Daeger; July 31, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

That the UN has so many countries like Saudi arabia and jordan in it is very telling.
    That theyre on the united nations human rights council is even more so.