Thread: Recommend me a paradox please

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Default Recommend me a paradox please

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this one way or the other but here goes.

I briefly tried EU:ROME. Did not like it but in all honesty I did not spend enough time to get a grip around the game mechanics so... Anyway, I immensely enjoy strategy games and seeing that there's nothing new on the horizon that interests me I've decided to give Paradox another shot. However there are some specific things I'm looking for:

* Ability to play, if not the whole, then at least large parts of the world. I'd like to see all continents included.
    * In-depth diplomatic, economic and trading options. Trade routes, different goods, actual diplomacy etc.
    * Playtime somewhere between 1600 to the beginning of the 1900's. I'd like to see the colonialism, imperialism etc. Maybe re-enact the opium wars, those kind of things.

Now, I've been looking around at the official forums but it's hard to get a good overview about the different games. Since I've seen so many replies in the Empires section about how CA should have added diplomatic depth like the Paradox games, I thought to myself that you guys could shed some light.

I've been looking at EU3 and The whole world mod. Is it any good? Does it add distinct features to the different nations or are they all just clones?
    I've also been looking at Victoria, it's expansion and mod. Looks like this could be the one I'm looking for but seeing that it's somewhat old maybe EU3 has already covered all that made Victoria good from the beginning? I'd rather suffer through a steep learning curve if the reward is greater, than playing an easier game with inferior game mechanics.

I just wan't to be able to force my way upon smaller nations across the globe with a mighty trading empire and for the next campaign maybe switch roles and play as an Asian nation just struggling to survive when the Europeans starts to colonize my home turf.

Please recommend me something, or I'm forever doomed to just browse through thread after thread in the official forum while getting no wiser on the subject at all.

Edit: Also feel free to recommend me mods.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Default Re: Recommend me a paradox please

I think you want Victoria, though I'd reccomend you EUIII as well.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

victoria if you can withstand the learning curved
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

So what are the key differences between Victoria and EUIII? Both games seem to fit the time frame. I'm not sure about the nations, I can't seem to find a list of playable factions. Diplomacy, trading, economics? Does these mechanics have any significant differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevasti View Post
    So what are the key differences between Victoria and EUIII? Both games seem to fit the time frame. I'm not sure about the nations, I can't seem to find a list of playable factions. Diplomacy, trading, economics? Does these mechanics have any significant differences?
    EUIII=colonization
    Vicky=Economy
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Thanks for your answers. It seems that I'll delve into Victoria then. It's just €7.49 at Gamersgate btw.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

If you're going to for Victoria, it's a very good game but the learning curve is freakishly hard.

Make sure you get the expansion, otherwise you shouldn't bother.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Got the expansion as well and you're right, it's freakishly hard trying to acquaint oneself with the game. At least I've figured out how to keep the budget on plus but I have no real clue what to invest it in since I don't have the resources to build any factories. I'm a bit confused with the trading system, actually I can't really buy anything, only sell it seems.

But something that maybe one of you could answer me is:
    Why does the diplomatic options only seem to work sporadic? Sometimes it's all fine and dandy, other times it just says I lack the required actions to do it?

I asked for it, I know. But I refuse to buckle under just yet.

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

Heres a Paradox:

If you go back in time and kill your grandfather, does that mean that you no longer exsist?

Which means that you could have never killed him, which means your alive, which means you could kill him, which means your not alive etc.

Paradox!

On Topic:

EU III Is good i don;t know many Paradox games, but i think that one has already been suggested... Oh well i vouch for EUIII

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Going back in time, itself, is a paradox

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Personally I enjoy EUIII(with both expansions, without it's kinda bad) with the MMP or WWM mods. I haven't played Vicky but it seems to be more complex yet have less versatility of options. I like EUIII because you can forge a land empire, pursue naval supremacy, create a trade dominion, or just set some RP goals like a migration around the world or the freeing of nations that generally do bad and giving them a bunch of territory. There's not so many game mechanics that you can't do fun and wacky things, but there's enough that you have to consider each decision and every empire you craft(if not intended for world domination) should turn out different.

I wouldn't recommend HOI2, it's mainly about production and military, and can be quite boring as a non-major nation, especially in Europe. Never played Crusader Kings but it's not the era you're looking for.

Arn's Avatar Sponge worthy

Eu III with both expansions is really great actually. So many different countries to play and so many different things to try to accomplish.
    I made a lot of music for RS II, and that is very awesome because RS II is a very awesome mod!

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

judgeing by your comments in the op i'd say that victoria is the one for you. It involves a lot of learning, so i'd recommending having a look on the paradox forum for the tutorial mod. But it is well worth it after you've gotten used to it

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaglan View Post
    judgeing by your comments in the op i'd say that victoria is the one for you. It involves a lot of learning, so i'd recommending having a look on the paradox forum for the tutorial mod. But it is well worth it after you've gotten used to it
    By recommending Victoria to an initiate to Paradox game I think you are going to crumble his sanity and jest into dust.
    Amongst all the Paradox game I'd recommend EU3 & its 2 expansion, followed by Crusader King, the former has depth w/o being overtly complex, while the latter is simply fun to play, if you dont mind keeping track of your dynasty.

Well, to be honest, trying to learn Victoria has been an experience similar to banging my head against a brick wall.

For every mechanic I get some vague grasp on there's always another new one that I'm unaware of and that's just waiting to plunge my nation into disaster. I won't give in just yet, at least I'm learning something new for every new session.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I want to go into Victoria sometime also, abut I tried EU3 complete 1st and I love it.
    So many options and things that can happen every game....... very fun, the learning curve wasn't to bad, i am not a pro by any means but I give the AI some beatings once in a while.

Crusader Kings looks and sounds fun also.

Is Rome good? I played the demo when it 1st came out and I was underwhelmed,seemed like an EU3 knockoff. Only a demo though.
    Last edited by Scipio Afracanis; July 28, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Personally I think it depends on what you want.

Military - Heart of Iron series.

Colonization - EUIII.

Economy - Victoria.

Dynasty role-play - Crusaders King.

Want a mixture of all but not unique - Rome.

Basically that is the area each game focuses; other than that each game generally is not good for other type of experience, such as play military route in EU, which you may soon discover there are not much logic behind compare with Heart of Iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..