Thread: It is time for an other tale. - Tale of The Week 50

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default It is time for an other tale. - Tale of The Week 50

IMPORTANT FOR ALL CONTESTANTS
    It has come to my attention that some of you still have problems with the word limits that where set up for this competition. I will check all entries personally to see that no one violates this rule. Contestants who violate this simple rule will be disqualified.

1. Post a short text about this picture, with min. 200 max. 500 words, in a spoiler.
    Learn rule one by heart guys. No more violation will be tolerated.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

- Aristotle -

Molls made an other excellent PoTW winner, his picture ensured his victory in PoTW 156.

RULES :

1. Post a short text about this picture, with min. 200 max. 500 words, in a spoiler.
    2. If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.

3. The winner gets 1 point on the Leaderboard, if there are at least 4 contestants.

4. Deadline: last day of each week (Sunday).
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: It is time for an other tale. - Tale of The Week 50

gotta say I'm very satisfied with this one
    cutting out the bowmen and elephants was a pain in the "=)%(

Not bad molls!

EDIT: Ah yes, reserved or what not old chap.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

resereved, I think this is a epic pic, strong stories will appear.

401 words, I have word Hesus! Nice and good.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The tale of the Mountain

In front of us, far away almost unclear to see. Where elephants with soldiers on them, with one archer. The where passing trough.
    But our general saw that different. Alexander: Never let a Persian go. He told us. so we went to intercept them. We tough it would not be so hard with our spears. I was in a unit that had only swords not spears, so for us it would be dead that will hunt us.

We had to attack form the left, while the main army of spear men attacks from the right. A horn sound, attack! I first didn't know what was happening. My brothers where scaring a elephant, and trying to attack it without being hit by the elephant. I stood still terrified by the elephants passing trough and the archers on them firing there arrows on my brothers. Next to me stood an other soldiers of our unit, he was pissing on the ground because he didn't had the nerves to attack the large animal. A few second latter, I look back to the guy next to me. He is pierced by one of the many arrows of the archer's on the elephants. I was so angry, he was my brother mate, a friend in harsh times.

I scream at the beast, and throw my sword to the archer that hit him. The guy falls down on the ground, I take the sword of my fallen brother covert with blood.
    And run to him, before he has the chance to stand up and fire at me. I swing my sword, and cut his throat open. I look in his eyes, until I don't see them blink. I had taken revenge, but the fight was not over. I went to my brothers who where trying to kill the elephant. I took a torch and set it on fire, I move it around in front of the eyes of the beast. I saw the beast, being afraid of the big fire. I told my brother, take a torch, and spear kill it! They listened to me and did it, the animal got pierced by Macedonian spears.
    Alexander came to me on his horse, and looked at me for 5 seconds. That was the best day of my life.
    Victory was ours!
    The Persian soldiers that remained where running in shame for their life.

Last edited by webMaster412160; July 25, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Reserved.
    Last edited by Nazgūl Killer; July 26, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Title: Slaying the Beast
    Author: Benz282
    Cnaeus took a moment to breathe. The sun was high, dirt filled the air, and the sound of men being gored was deafening; not exactly the best way to enjoy the mid afternoon on a Sunday. Determined to put a stop to the chaos, clever Cnaeus came up with a plan so that the rest of the day might be saved from this dismal fate.

Raising his arms and waving them back and forth in the direction of the nearest beast, Cnaeus shouted, "Hail mighty elephant!"

The monstrosity turned ever so slightly to face him, sending tremors ripping through the earth.

"It is I, Cnaeus of Aretua, member of this humble platoon. As everyone else is busy cowering under your awesome presence, I have elected myself spokesperson."

At this, the elephant seemed to laugh and gored a man that had been standing too close.

"We mean you no harm, great one. Our quarrel is with the men riding on your back."

The creature's eyes filled with rage.

"No, no. You see, they have the pointy-sharp sticks and we find they are liable to throw them at us. Now, my men and I do not like having the pointy-sharp sticks thrown at us, and so we would appreciate it if they would stop."

The behemoth seemed to understand this desire, but remained determined to protect its riders.

"Besides, we do not think it fair that they steer you into harm's way. Those others like you here, they were stolen from their mothers, just as you were."

The fires in the beast's eyes were replaced with the cool waters of sadness.

"Your destiny is greater than all this; you may be a ferocious creature, but you were not made for war. Nor was war made for you. You were made to be free from suffering. You were made to live in bliss. And now, thanks to the men that "raised" you, spears and swords have pierced your flesh. And yet this is not your fault; it is theirs."

The mammoth being stood still.

"So please, let the men who ride above you down. We will make sure they know the pain you feel now. You will be free to roam, free to go where you please, and free to be free. All we ask is that you stop."

With a thundering crash, the elephant fell to the earth. There was a brief silence which was followed by a cheer as men clambered on top of the carcass, slaying the cowardly archers who still hid in the tower.

And therein lay the genius to Cnaeus' plan. While other men attacked the stone hide of the beast, he sent a stab deep into the heart; the very heart and dreams we all share.

"You have finally escaped. Now go; run through your meadows and be at peace, my friend."

A final, bloody tear and uttering in honor of a life that should have been.
    Last edited by Benz282; July 26, 2009 at 01:26 AM.

excelent pic, want to write a story right away, but I will let it settle down first...like good wine

Red, red wine...

"Marcus, get up. Can you stand? I think it's over, at last...They're on the run!"
    The sound of horns signaling the retreat for Armenian army and their mercenary swarm was all over the field...Somehow, in the haze and heat of the afternoon, all I could think was: "wow...I lived through it again..."

There was no joy over victory, as the old poets like to say there is...That must have been from some different kind of war. I am just glad that I am still standing, alive, and almost unscathed...I did get a wound, but it was just a small slash at my leg, nothing more...Stings a bit...

"Marcus, get up man! You're not even scratched, the bastard knocked you out with the hilt of his sword, nothing more, don't be a girl!"

Damn, the wound stings...Maybe if I wash it up a bit with the wine? I reach down for the whine skin laying on the ground, and notice Marcus finaly showing some signs of activity...Lazy bum...
    The wine...mmm, good, now we're talking, the wine does help...Especially when you take it down the throat...

"heh, that's better" , I think to myself, as Marcus stretches his arms out towards me...The bastard wants wine...

"You want some? Then you better get up, boyo, coz I'm about to drink it all up..."

The thumping noise becomes louder behind me, I just realize that...must be the last of the elephants being put down before they cause more havoc...

"L-Lucius!!!"
    I almost drop the wine skin at the shout from Marcus..."what the..." Then I see him pointing behind me...

A group of elephants rushes less than thirty or so paces off our position...And the archer on one of the towered elephants stands gazing at me...with the bow strung up all the way and pointed in my direction...

"Ah fu- kkkkhhhhh..."

"Well, I don't think the wine will help with this one", the last thought that goes through my conscious mind as I hit the filthy ground...

Last edited by Sunbird Alkibijad; July 26, 2009 at 03:38 AM.

Great pic, Molls. Very impressive.

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Plebeian
    SonOfAlexander

The two boys ran quickly down the cobbled streets, ignoring the market stalls and animals that they nearly collided with… they were too excited for that. “Come on Flavius, catch up!” called Titus, before turning around and running off again. Titus clutched his knees as he gasped for breath. “Damn you, you lanky gimp.” muttered Titus as he ran again, trying to catch his leggy brother as they made their way to the Legion recruiting office at the Fields of Mars. The sun shone brightly as he heard other plebeians talk of the war in the Far East…

Flavius rubbed his grimy face and looked up. He felt the sun punishing his skin and lowered it once more. The stifling heat was made worse by the smell… no, the appalling stench of men’s sweat, dirt and body odour… not to mention the aromas emanating from the loose bowelled members of the cohort. He could see nothing over the sand in front of them… just like the million other dunes he’d seen, all placed by some unimaginative creator.

“Jupiter’s :wub: Flavius, we’ve been in formation since the sun was high.” Titus whinged as he mopped his constantly soaked forehead on his arm. Flavius for once lost patience with his younger sibling. “Oh shut up will you, you fat bastard? If you didn’t carry all that blubber around you’d have an easier time in the heat.” Titus sneered and shook his head gently, annoyed but retortless.

The rough, scrubbed looking grass tickled his feet. Flavius swore that he would faint from dehydration when he heard a low rumbling, and a few grains of sand began to roll over the dune. Had he just been hearing things? For a moment he thought so, but then the centurion barked out orders to advance to the crest of the dune. “At least I get to stretch my legs” he thought. He turned back to face the front and his mouth and eyes opened wide like a fish.

As Flavius gawped, the men at the front cried out, their Latin pleas for help drowned out by the bellowing of the elephants in front of him. Like horses as high as houses, the tusked juggernauts ran straight through the Romans as if they didn’t exist. Whole files of men were mowed down like grass as the beasts passed through the Hastati.

Flavius got to his feet. “Titus, are you alright?” He had only expected one answer, but when he stood up his brother lay dying on the floor, an arrow in his neck. The man choked as Flavius leant over his form, clutching and looking into his eyes. “TITUS! SPEAK TO ME, PLEASE!” He shook his brother but it was no use… the friend he had convinced to join him in the Legions was dead.

Flavius was shaking and crying uncontrollably, breathing hard. He scanned the chaos before him, then drew his gladius and held up his shield. He stood there, shaking, sobbing…

Waiting.

Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius