Thread: Horses on Longboats?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Horses on Longboats?

Forgive me if i'm wrong but could horses be transported on longboats? I would have thought it difficult if not impossible over long distances? And definitely not possible on the Celtic boats.

So I was wondering if you were going to restrict the transport of cavalry as they did in Viking Invasion II?
    Last edited by smoesville; July 20, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Default Re: Horses on Longboats?

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Forgive me if i'm wrong but could horses be transported on longboats? I would have thought it difficult if not impossible over long distances? And definitely not possible on the (cr*ppy) Celtic boats.

So I was wondering if you were going to restrict the transport of cavalry as they did in Viking Invasion II?
    quicky chance the TOS violation before a mod jumps on you.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

TOS violation?

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    TOS violation?
    Censor Bypassing (1 or 2 points)

Attempting to bypass the censor by misspelling, inserting spaces or symbols, transposing letters, using look-alike symbols, or any other method is not allowed. For example, if "gris" is a banned word:

• Not allowed: g-r-i-s, gr*s, g***, 9|-1$, girs, gryeeeas, grizznizz, **** (rhymes with "bris")
    • Allowed: ****, ****ed, ****ing, g'ed, g-word

Prohibited words may not be used in images or videos embedded in posts. If external websites use prohibited words, you can link to them only if you post a warning alongside the link.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

I changed that before i read your first post thats why i was confused... Also does a dev have any answer to my question?

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

The Osprey book on Viking longships (one of their better efforts) has photo of horse being man-handled onto a viking longship by some experimental archaeologists.

Certainly the Normans (who used similar vessels) carried horses on some of their ships (as per Bayeau Tapestry)

On the other hand there are many accounts in A_S Chronicle etc of Vikings landing on foot and demanding horses from the locals.

I doubt that the Vikings would have transported more than a few and I wouldn't recommend it for a North Sea crossing only a quick dash across the Channel.

Or maybe the Irish sea. I was just wondering. I may do it myself post release. But only if its inclusion makes it more difficult for me I find M2:TW to a bit easy on VH/VH, but only when using the higher end troops. I conquered most of Europe with deisi javalinmen in SS 6.1. That was a challenge... and incredibly costly in troops and resources.