Thread: DVD ROM games

Default DVD ROM games

So, all you need is a DVD player on your comp and you can play them? I have a CD/DVD ROM combo so will it work on mine?

Asking this because of BF2....and BTW would it play any better....what's the difference?

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yes, all you need is a DVD-ROM player.

The game performace won't change but it wil be easier (no more swapping disks) and faster to install.

Maybe the DVD also contains some nice extra's you don't get with the CD version.

The only real difference is that DVD's can contain up to 8.5 GB vs .8 GB for CD's and that this data can be read a lot faster from DVD.

Alright, thanks for the reply Erik.

I thought there was some technical advantage to DVDs over CDs.
    Well, I got mine on DVD, less need for storage space and faster instal are nice bonuses, for the same price.

My computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive. It had better still be available in PC CD-ROM.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

No need to fret. BF2 comes in both CD and DVD versions.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

If your computer is so old that it doesn't have a DVD player its probably too slow to even play BF2 anyways...
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

I have DVD versions of BF2 and Pirates!. I get them simply because they only (so far) come on one disc, and the installation is faster than the other games I have on CD. None of that "Please insert disc 17" crap. Sometimes the DVD versions (in the case of Pirates! at least) also have a little bit of bonus content, etc.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    If your computer is so old that it doesn't have a DVD player its probably too slow to even play BF2 anyways...
    Celeron(R) 2.40 ghz
    2.39 ghz 1.00 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Runs the demo just fine.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

FX5200?
    Random spam because this message has to be longer to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Runs the demo just fine.
    lol, sorry to say this, but I have the same card as you (5200) and it can barely run BF2 at lowest settings...

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet_Warlord
    lol, sorry to say this, but I have the same card as you (5200) and it can barely run BF2 at lowest settings...
    Hm...I only have an ATi Radeon9600 Pro (256mb) and I can run BF2 @1024x768 all high and its smooth as silk. Er..the full version, not the demo.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1Gb DDR 3200
    9600 Pro 256mb

Nothing spectacular, but it works very nicely with this game. Seems like with an FX5200, youd at least be able to get medium settings out of it.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)