Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Hard Difficulty

Default Very Hard Difficulty

I know there have been many threads regarding RTW and RS difficulty, but I have something specific on my mind. From what I've read here on the forum, VH (campaign) difficulty is supposed to be 'easier' because the AI doesn't get the cash bonus it gets on Hard. I've noticed, though, that increased difficulty makes the AI more agressive. It also makes winning battles in auto-calc harder, making you fight most battles (I'm lazy so I auto-battle some on Medium and Hard).

Now, my point is I don't like unfair (IMO) bonuses for the AI, but I want it to be aggressive. So, logically thinking, Very Hard should be the ideal difficulty for me. It probably won't be as difficult as Hard because of the bonuses, but it would suit my game. Am I making sense?

Default Re: Very Hard Difficulty

Hm, well from what I've seen and have been told the ideal setting's are H/H, the pc seems less aggressive on VH.

Hmm, yes, I suppose they are ideal but I hate bonuses to the AI. Hard gives them in both campaign and battle. I usually play M/M but the AI just isn't aggressive.

Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Recommended H/H?

What is the difference between H and VH battles then? I been playing H/VH for ever.
    I like pie.

H battle +4 IIRC to the stats
    VH battle +7
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    H battle +4 IIRC to the stats
    VH battle +7
    yes i always been told H/VH is the most difficult setting to play rs1.5c with.i'm not a 100% sure of this but i think RS II is being made to be played on M/M

Atheist
    Quantum physics
    Paleonthology
    RSII Betatester
    Ultimate irony Quote by total relism:
    -this is the number one tactic of evolutionist hand waving they close there ears and eyes to any evidence they do not want to here.

It's not really that it's being made to be played on M/M, but as the dificulty is increased, playing battles on VH with two equal armies is (nearly) impossible to win.
    Patron of ybbon66.

That would be nice. I would like to see a very good balance at M/M. If anyone isn't satysfied, let him sweat on higher difficulty...

To be honest you'll probably need to play on H/H to get a real challenge, as the aim is to have the campaign nicely balanced on M/M

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

We'll see, won't we? My original question was about RS 1.5 anyway, which is supposed to be less balanced than 2.0..

I must admit, that due to the high stat associated with units in their attack and defence, there seems to be a marginal difference between /H and /VH. (IMHO anyway.) Play battles on /VH. At least then you can have some bragging rights...
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

I don't mean to brag anyway. However, you seem to answer my question - the H and VH difficulty seem OK given that the bonuses applied are done so to units with high stats. I'll try different stuff, which is what I could've done in the beggining. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Thanks

I've always played campaigns in RS1.5 (not that I ever got far with them due to modding commitments) on H campaign, VH battles. As people are saying, VH is what's required really to make up for the very high numbers in the unit stats.

RS2 is different in that way - the numbers are signficantly lower so there should be much bigger differences in difficulty from M to H to VH battles.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Thank you, tone. Next campaign is H/VH, then! Also it's news to me that the numbers in RS 2.0 are lower. But I'm sure you guys know what you're doing. Keep up the brilliant work!

RS2 numbers are lower, but battles are longer. In fact, the complaint so far from the beta team is that battles have been a bit too long. Things are still being tweaked there.

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

from what I can say as a beta tester for RS2... the battles are very different now. with the new battlemaps, smarter AI (so it seems... I'm playing as the Cimbri on M/M for testing purposes) the AI seems to almost have a reaction to every action.. You split your army into two like Scipio did against hannibal and the AI will delay one flank while they send the bulk of their army against the other and try to destroy you peace by peace. and the AI is very reactive with cavalry and spearmen. In all the battles are very different from RS 1.5.

Oh, my, can't wait for such epic struggles.. I know the beta is close to the final stage of the mod, but still, the finished RS 2.0 is going to be a masterpiece, I'm sure... Great work, guys. I also love the work done with the AI, which can't be modified in itself but through formations etc. (at least I think so). I can't believe the amount of work that has gone in RS 2.0. God speed, RS Team!

@tone: Good to have nice, long battles in which to make tactical choices. Of course, as you pointed out, they should be tweaked not to be too long. The RS team will find the balance.

Just a note on something that's happening. I'm playing Macedonia on VH strategic and H battles. Two of my cities have been plague ridden for upwards to ten years now - it just won't cure itself. I made the initial mistake of building a temple to Aries. But I did build sewers, baths and whatever else I thought would end the plagues, but still the population is declining faster than babies are born. Any suggestions?

Check their is not an ennemy spy who "camp" in your city. He might have given you the plague, and if he keep going from one of your city to another, he might keep the plague "active".
    But, it's just an hypothesis.
    Patron of ybbon66.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Or that any of you Generals is having the decease.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast