Thread: third age total war crashing!

Icon4 third age total war crashing!

in third age total war whenever i'm loading a seige battle in the campaign it crashes say "medieval 2 total war has encountered a unspecified error and will now exit". and when i make a custom battle and choose what settlement i want it crashes and says the same thing. i tried reinstalling it and that failed.
    yes i do have version 1.1. i need help!!!

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Default Re: third age total war crashing!

/

hm - what system do you run on your computer?
    what videocrad, RAM, CPU and HDD do you use?

/

windows XP.

There should be an bug log somewhere directed in the main medieval 2 folder, you should read and post what it reads.

well i have the same problem with kingdoms too. but not in the main medieval 2 game. well when i updated it to 1.05 could there have been a bug in that?
    Last edited by rider of rohan; July 18, 2009 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rider of rohan
    windows XP.
    yeah - and is it 32 or 64-bit. some times that
    result some conflicts.

okay vanilla is running. well thats strange
    becasue both vanilla and kingdoms use
    the same .cfg file.

i had such problem too. but i only had to
    start the game from the DVD and it was
    running totally okay. try to start kingdoms
    from the DVD!

and if this is notr working too post the content
    of your log file here.

(it is located in the main directory and
    is called "system.log.txt")
    (if ther is nothing in ti you have to open
    the "medieval2.preference.cfg" and add this:

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    ;level = * trace
    level = * error

rsslcs's Avatar Senator

The custom battle crash is a known one, and there's a workaround for that. As for the other problem that you're having, I really don't know!

edit

yeah for custom battle you have to follow this instructions.

Berethornd's Avatar Foederatus

try to do this: unistall third age total war,m2tw kingdoms and m2tw,then reinstall it, first m2tw and upgrade it to the latest version( i think its 1.5),after done this install m2tw kingdoms and third age total war, and upgrade to 1.1
    i say this because i get the same problem and doing this resolve my problem.
    good luck
    PS: this can fix the CTD error in the campaing,not of the custom battle sieges.

when i try to uninstall third age it says "windows is searching for the Uninstal. exe." and i can't uninstall it.

i can't update to 1.5 my computer won't let me. i think it has to do with it being an rar. file

Laetus

i have windows XP it crashed for me to i fixsed it i uninstalled TATW medieval 2 and kingdoms and deleted the "sege folder" and installed evrything it works for me now PS. my comtuter wont let me patch either so havent patched kingdoms

Mune's Avatar Civis

Rider of Rohan:

I too recommend re-installing M2:TW in it's entirety, due to the fact that you are getting problems in the un-modified instances of the game as you said (Kingdoms).

Berethornd's instructions were good except on one part; You would want to install M2:TW, then Kingdoms, then the latest Kingdoms patch. There's no need to patch before installing Kingdoms (it wont hurt, but it's not necessary) however it is necessary to patch after installing Kingdoms. Make sure it's Kingdoms patch 1.5, for either Gold edition or not (depending on what you have).

Since your TA:TW is having trouble uninstalling, I'll modify the instructions further.

First, skip the part about uninstalling TA:TW. Proceed by uninstalling Kingdoms, then M2:TW. Then, find your 'Medieval 2 - Total War' folder (default directory is in 'Program Files/SEGA' I believe). Delete the folder 'Medieval 2 - Total War' (note, this will remove all saved games you have, sorry). This will uninstall any remnants of the game left, including the Third Age mod and any others.

Then, install M2:TW, then Kingdoms (Gold Edition comes with both of these, I'm unsure if they would be on separate disks or together as I don't have Gold Edition). Once Kingdoms is done installing, download and install the latest patch for Kingdoms (1.5, and remember there's two different versions of the file, one for Gold Edition and one for regular). Once that is installed, install the Third Age mod as specified on it's download and install thread.

If your having trouble opening any of the downloaded files because they are .RAR files, you are likely lacking in a program which opens these files. Download and install WinRAR, which is free and opens most compressed files (including .RAR ones, obviously).

Hope this works for you, and expect it to take some time. Do all the steps correctly exactly as specified above and it should work. If it does not, then the problem is something beyond the games software (meaning, your computer or operating system).

Good luck.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein