Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win condition in-game map help

Default Win condition in-game map help

As you guys know from the things to do thread, I'm working on a set of victory conditions for PI 1.0. I can get them to display as text in game, but I need some help getting a map for the in-game display. Lacking in 2D art skills, I thought I'd use screenshots from campaigns where I took the cities described below. Problem is that I can't get the capture_settlement cheat to work, so it's gonna be kinda timeconsuming and I thought I'd try crowdsourcing it for some help.

Start a campaign, take the troops out of your cities and spread them into as many captain led armies as you can. Pick a target city and mouse over a point right next to it. Open the console by typing ` then type show_cursorstat and hit enter to see the X and Y coordinates of that map square. Now decide on one of your captains, type move_character "Captain name" X,Y and hit enter. He should teleport into that square, where you can have him lay siege. Don't worry about the odds, just lay siege to as many of the victory condition cities as you can.

Start building siege equipment, manage your cities to prevent revolts, and hit end turn. If the AI sallies, open the console before each battle and type auto_win defender then hit enter and autoresolve the fight (you should win with some losses). When it's your turn again, attack cities as soon as you have the siege gear and use auto_win attacker to take them. Once you have all the ones on the list, hit control and the print screen key. Alt-Tab out, open an image editor program, and paste the screenshot in. crop away everything except the campaign overview map showing your victory conditions captured and very little else. Save it as a jpeg and upload it here in a post identifying what faction it's for, then I'll convert them all to TGA so they can go into PI.

Default Re: Win condition in-game map help

Here's the lists of targets for the first 10 factions, I'll put the other 10 up as I get them made this weekend.

;Samniti
    hold_regions T_Bovianum T_Aufidena T_Maluentum T_Aquilonia T_Caudium T_Cluviae T_Teanum_Sidicinum T_Corfinium T_Marruvium T_Pinna T_Ortona T_Larinum T_Arpinum T_Anagnia T_Fundi T_Capua T_Arpi T_Teanum_Apulum T_Canusium T_Neapolis T_Nuceria_Alfaterna

;Cenomani
    hold_regions T_Brixia T_Verona T_Mantua T_Bergomum T_Mediolanium T_Acerrae T_Laus T_Comum T_Parma T_Placentia T_Edrum T_Vicetia

;Etrusci
    hold_regions T_Tarquinii T_Volsinii T_Vulci T_Clusium T_Perusia T_Cortona T_Volaterrae T_Rusellae T_Populonia T_Iguvium T_Tuder T_Mevania T_Interamna_Nahartium T_Tifernum_Tiberinum T_Caerae T_Falerii T_Pisae T_Arretium T_Fesulae

;Rhaeti
    hold_regions T_Tridentum T_Feltria T_Berua T_Clavenna T_Anaunum T_Edrum T_Velturnum T_Clunia T_Brixia T_Verona T_Mantua T_Bergomum T_Ateste T_Patavium T_Altinum T_Tarvisium T_Vicetia T_Opitergium T_Concordia_Sagittaria T_Adria T_Osopum T_Nesactium T_Oscela T_Ictimula T_Comum

;SPQR
    hold_regions T_Roma T_Caerae T_Falerii T_Antium T_Arpinum T_Anagnia T_Fundi T_Capua T_Tarquinii T_Volsinii T_Vulci T_Cures T_Reatae T_Tuder T_Interamna_Nahartium T_Carseoli T_Aufidena T_Caudium T_Teanum_Sidicinum T_Neapolis

;Messapii
    hold_regions T_Manduria T_Uzentum T_Gnathia T_Brundisium T_Lupiae T_Tarentum T_Heraclea T_Metapontum T_Pandosia T_Canusium

;Insubres
    hold_regions T_Mediolanium T_Acerrae T_Laus T_Comum T_Vercellae T_Ticinum T_Parma T_Brixia T_Velleia T_Placentia T_Bergomum T_Clastidium T_Clavenna T_Hasta T_Taurasia T_Segusium T_Canava T_Ictimula T_Oscela

;Sabini
    hold_regions T_Cures T_Reatae T_Amiternum T_Nursia T_Interamnium T_Roma T_Caerae T_Falerii T_Antium T_Anagnia T_Tuder T_Mevania T_Camerinum T_Interamna_Nahartium T_Corfinium T_Pinna T_Asculum_Picenum T_Cupra T_Carseoli T_Tolentinum T_Ancona

;Umbri
    hold_regions T_Iguvium T_Tuder T_Mevania T_Camerinum T_Interamna_Nahartium T_Tifernum_Tiberinum T_Sarsina T_Arretium T_Fesulae T_Sena_Gallica T_Ariminum T_Pisaurum T_Ravenna T_Tolentinum T_Ancona T_Volsinii T_Perusia T_Cortona T_Caerae T_Falerii T_Nursia T_Cures T_Reatae

;Boii
    hold_regions T_Bononia T_Mutina T_Parma T_Placentia T_Misa T_Clastidium T_Laus T_Acerrae T_Velleia T_Mantua T_Suismontium T_Fesulae T_Spina T_Brixia

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

I'll help you Pode as soon as I can.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

I'll do em all later tonight. Gonna reinstall this.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Started with the Cenomanii. Took quite a long time to do, even though their list is very short, so instead I'm going to do a little tinkering with descr_strat. It should be quicker.

I hope these are what you were looking for.

Cenomanii:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

WIDE VIEW:

ZOOMED IN:

EDIT: This did take longer than expected, and tinkering with DS hasn't proved to be very quick. I'll finish tomorrow - 2am right now =/
    Last edited by Benz282; July 19, 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Great Benz282, thanks a bunch! I hadn't thought to do it in Descr_strat, that's probably a better approach even if it hasn't proven to be as fast as we might hope. Very much appreciate you doing even one, so don't feel like you need to tackle them all, certainly not at 2 AM! I'm still working on making the lists for the other 10 factions, and Hister's got a bunch on his plate with the rest of the mod, so I really am grateful to you for stepping up on this. Repped.

Second set:

;Syracusae
    hold_regions T_Syracusae T_Messana T_Catana T_Leontini T_Camarina T_Tyndaris T_Ancona T_Rhegium T_Locri_Epizephyrii T_Lilybaeum T_Segesta_Elymorum T_Selinus T_Panormus T_Entella T_Thermae T_Melita T_Agrigentum T_Ouessa T_Halaesa T_Henna T_Gela

;Veneti
    hold_regions T_Ateste T_Patavium T_Altinum T_Tarvisium T_Vicetia T_Opitergium T_Concordia_Sagittaria T_Nesactium T_Osopum T_Adria T_Verona T_Feltria

;Ligures
    hold_regions T_Genua T_Album_Ingaunum T_Album_Intimelium T_Segesta_Tigulliorum T_Luna T_Suismontium T_Velleia T_Ceba T_Carystum T_Mutina T_Parma T_Placentia T_Misa T_Pisae T_Fesulae T_Acerrae T_Clastidium T_Taurasia T_Hasta T_Bagienna T_Cemenellum T_Nicaea

;Italiotae
    hold_regions T_Tarentum T_Rhegium T_Locri_Epizephyrii T_Croton T_Thurii T_Heraclea T_Metapontum T_Elea T_Consentia T_Acherontia T_Petelia T_Hipponion T_Clampetia T_Terina T_Paestum T_Pandosia T_Grumentum T_Laos T_Manduria T_Uzentum T_Gnathia T_Brundisium T_Lupiae

;Brettii
    hold_regions T_Consentia T_Acherontia T_Petelia T_Hipponion T_Clampetia T_Terina T_Rhegium T_Locri_Epizephyrii T_Croton T_Thurii T_Laos

;Sabelli
    hold_regions T_Corfinium T_Marruvium T_Pinna T_Ortona T_Larinum T_Bovianum T_Aufidena T_Maluentum T_Cluviae T_Carseoli T_Interamnium T_Teanum_Apulum T_Asculum_Picenum T_Cupra

;Poeni
    hold_regions T_Lilybaeum T_Segesta_Elymorum T_Selinus T_Panormus T_Entella T_Thermae T_Aleria T_Olbia T_Melita T_Syracusae T_Messana T_Catana T_Leontini T_Camarina T_Tyndaris T_Agrigentum T_Ouessa T_Halaesa T_Henna T_Gela T_Rhegium T_Locri_Epizephyrii

;Lucani
    hold_regions T_Potentia T_Paestum T_Pandosia T_Grumentum T_Laos T_Nuceria_Alfaterna T_Aquilonia T_Arpi T_Canusium T_Silvium T_Clampetia T_Heraclea T_Metapontum T_Elea

;Senones
    hold_regions T_Sena_Gallica T_Ariminum T_Pisaurum T_Ravenna T_Iguvium T_Camerinum T_Tifernum_Tiberinum T_Sarsina T_Ancona T_Tolentinum T_Spina

;Apuli
    hold_regions T_Arpi T_Teanum_Apulum T_Barium T_Canusium T_Silvium T_Larinum T_Aquilonia T_Potentia T_Gnathia

Now for the spellchecking, as a single typo in any city name will likely cause the file to be ignored.

+REP to you Benz! Benz, help Pode as much as you can. This is a priority now. I'm wondering how other mod devs did this - this approach is very time consuming, there has to be a quicker way. Pode, can you send a PM to some mod devs like EB, RTR and such and ask them how they did it. It would be a shame we would spent so much time if there are quicker ways and I have a hint there are...
    I'll ask SigniferOne if he has any knowledge on the matter.

Anybody with some basic 2D art talent should be able to color in in the correct provinces on the map and then save it as a TGA. Unfortunately my digital art skills are pretty profoundly lacking.

Edit: As proof of my lack of talent, I've attached what I can do in a reasonable timeframe as a concept. This shows the starting map positions and a Samnite colored dot in each province the Samnites need to hold. If that's passable, I can gin up the other 19 in this format this week.
    Last edited by Pode; July 19, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

I'm not having too much problems doing them the in-game way you said, though internal names for characters would be helpful, as move_character doesn't recognize the on-screen names. I'm working on the second list, I think the screenie with fow off look a bit cleaner and easier to read. I attempted to do in in gimp, but no frickin' way...my image editing skills are severely lacking. I can save these as tgas too. TGAs are zipped attachments. On the TGAs, I took out the red selection thingy. Re-uploading better screens with .tga's created from nicer looking .png's.

Done(thumbs in same order as names)-Syracusae, Veneti, Ligures, Italiotae, Brettii.
    (all other faction borders and colors removed on all tga's)
    Last edited by merlinuscdxx; July 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Out of upload slots, so new post. In order, edited as last ones (tga's in zip files)

Senones, Apuli, Sabelli, Poeni, Lucani
    Last edited by merlinuscdxx; July 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Merlin, thanx - nice progress. Your pics seem to be a bit blurred though. Have you tried them in-game to see how they look? Make sure to have save games stored so that if needed you can reload every already done faction and make higher resolution pics if so needed.

Pode, your solution can probably be good if other quicker methods fail
    Last edited by Hister; July 20, 2009 at 06:17 AM.

If merlin and others manage to do all the factions i'm more then satisfied. if not then we can just use the regular 'faction maps' (in \PI\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion) and add a simple red dot to the area that needs to be occupied so that the player will have a general idea what area needs to be taken.

The TGAs look a bit better than the jpg's. I have all the saves, but I'm pretty new at this picture editing stuff. How do I get higher res pics? I'm using gimp, which confuses me a bit. Actually, I'm getting screens with fraps, and cropping them down to the mini-map, and then re-saving them in gimp as tga's. How do I try these in-game, I'm relatively new to this.

I actually have no clue how to make them better - I have close to zero knowledge on 2D. Hope someone here writes some hints.

I figured it out somewhat I think. Check out the 3rd thumbnail in my 2nd post and see if it looks better. If it does, I can re-save them all as .png's and re-upload those converted into .tga's. I think they look better, but I need a second opinion. My stupid cousin reset my fraps to .jpg without telling me.

Bingo merlin!!! It looks much better know. +REP to you. Keep up the good work.

I've tried it in-game and it works perfectly. Please uploading again the better looking pics.

Thank you so much merlinuscdxx, this is great stuff! Internal names can be found in the descr strat file, which may help you some. I'd suggest using captains instead of family members to avoid that issue, as "Captain Name" almost always works with move character.

Whatever you're doing is coming out with much higher resolution maps than what Benz and I have done, so if you're up to it I'd ask you to tackle the rest of the factions as well. If I understand correctly you're almost half way done the faction list already, just needing a better looking version of the Italiotae and Brettii. The only gripe I have is that it looks as though you missed one on the Lucani map, the Italiote town right in the middle of their homelands (Elea IIRC). Otherwise this is fantastic.

Since Merlin has been gracious enough to include previews here, I'll open the floor to debate on the appropriateness of the VCs for each faction. Everyone needs a total of 94 provinces (60% of the map) to win, but these maps show the towns the AI will focus on taking and holding. I'm pretty sure I've managed to get the AI to focus on retaking starting towns before trying to expand, but this is where they'll try to expand to unless tempted by something too good to pass up. A general observation is that no alliance with a neighbor is going to be a long term thing. I don't know how historical or realistic that is. If there were peoples who would never have fought each other, I need to make sure they don't have each others towns as VCs

I could have missed Elea, but it isn't on the list I copied down. I'll fix it. I'm going to do the rest of them anyway. Should I do all of list 1 too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast