Thread: Sword textures and animations - need help

Default Sword textures and animations - need help

Im having two different problems, one with textures/animations and one with scripting. im usually ok with scripting but i suck at textures and animations, and im having a problem with both right now, the bigger problem being the textures.

I created my own unit similar to Ferguson Riflemen. Same rifle, different stats, overall same looks. What i want to do is give them a sword/sabre as a melee weapon, but i what to keep their original rifle loading animation (it goes faster, i set the reload time to 1: the battalion sounds like a machine gun is going off). i found out when playing with the pack file manager, under the "Animation Table" column in the "units_stats_land" file that "man_musket_sabre" allows them to shoot like a musket (and reload) and fight melee with a sabre, where as "man_rifle" lets them shoot/reload like the rifle, but melee is always with the rifle butt. I tried "man_rifle_sabre" but trust me it doesnt work.

This is where the textures and animations issue comes in. Would it be possible to make an animation so i can use "man_rifle_sabre"? Also the texture problem is that when i used the musket animation, it worked (they fought with sabres) but they were invisible.

I want to apologize for the rather lengthy post and if someone helps me, please be patient and speak in laymans terms because like i said, i suck with textures and animations.
    Last edited by muffinhead; July 17, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Big Brother/King Kong is watching.

ATTORNEY: Can you describe the individual?
    WITNESS: He was about medium height and had a beard.
    ATTORNEY: Was this a male or a female?
    WITNESS: Guess.

Default Re: Sword textures and animations - need help

Quote Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post
    Im having two different problems, one with textures/animations and one with scripting. im usually ok with scripting but i suck at textures and animations, and im having a problem with both right now, the bigger problem being the textures.

I created my own unit similar to Ferguson Riflemen. Same rifle, different stats, overall same looks. What i want to do is give them a sword/sabre as a melee weapon, but i what to keep their original rifle loading animation (it goes faster, i set the reload time to 1: the battalion sounds like a machine gun is going off). i found out when playing with the pack file manager, under the "Animation Table" column in the "units_stats_land" file that "man_musket_sabre" allows them to shoot like a musket (and reload) and fight melee with a sabre, where as "man_rifle" lets them shoot/reload like the rifle, but melee is always with the rifle butt. I tried "man_rifle_sabre" but trust me it doesnt work.

This is where the textures and animations issue comes in. Would it be possible to make an animation so i can use "man_rifle_sabre"? Also the texture problem is that when i used the musket animation, it worked (they fought with sabres) but they were invisible.

I want to apologize for the rather lengthy post and if someone helps me, please be patient and speak in laymans terms because like i said, i suck with textures and animations.
    Copy and paste this into your animation_tables.txt:

animation_table man_rifle_sabre
    {
    skeleton_type man

fragment man_common_fragment
    fragment musket_death_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    fragment climb_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    fragment musket_sabre_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    fragment Rifle_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    }

erasmus: i tried that and when i try to start up the game it gives me the unrecognized animation error. I put that in the same format but is there some correlation between where you place the lines, how many times you press "tab", etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post
    erasmus: i tried that and when i try to start up the game it gives me the unrecognized animation error. I put that in the same format but is there some correlation between where you place the lines, how many times you press "tab", etc.?
    I don't know. Ideally there should be a tab between the elements like so:

fragment[tab]musket_death_fragment[tab]default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient

but I don't know that it makes a difference. Try using the table I've attached and see if it works.
    Last edited by erasmus777; July 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

sorry erasmus, i must have been an idiot. i copied the text you had in your file and it worked, so i was a moron and did have a spelling error. again, sorry.

ok so im halfway done and now i am interested in learning animations so i am gonna have to play around with them. now i need to add the texture of the sword. they still attack with sabres, but they are invisible
    Last edited by muffinhead; July 18, 2009 at 09:41 PM.