Thread: [Discov] Mayans' sacrifices were boys

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Default [Discov] Mayans' sacrifices were boys

The victims of human sacrifice by Mexico's ancient Mayans, who threw children into water-filled caverns, were likely boys and young men not virgin girls as previously believed, archeologists said on Tuesday.

The Maya built soaring temples and elaborate palaces in the jungles of Central America and southern Mexico before the Spanish conquest in the early 1500s.

Maya priests in the city of Chichen Itza in the Yucatan peninsula sacrificed children to petition the gods for rain and fertile fields by throwing them into sacred sinkhole caves, known as "cenotes."

The caves served as a source of water for the Mayans and were also thought to be an entrance to the underworld.

Archeologist Guillermo de Anda from the University of Yucatan pieced together the bones of 127 bodies discovered at the bottom of one of Chichen Itza's sacred caves and found that more than 80 per cent were probably boys between the ages of three and 11.

The other 20 per cent were mostly adult men, said Mr. de Anda, who scuba dives to uncover Mayan jewels and bones.

He said children were often thrown alive to their watery graves to please the Mayan rain god, Chaac. Some of the children were ritually skinned or dismembered before being offered to the gods, he said.

"It was thought that the gods preferred small things and especially the rain god had four helpers that were represented as tiny people," Mr. de Anda said.

"So the children were offered as a way to directly communicate with Chaac," he said.

Archeologists previously believed young female virgins were sacrificed because the remains, which span from about AD 850 until the Spanish colonization, were often found adorned with jade jewellery.

It is difficult to determine the sex of skeletons before they are fully matured, Mr. de Anda said, but he believes cultural evidence from Mayan mythology would suggest the young victims were actually male.

Default Re: Mayans' sacrifices were boys

I never liked the South American civilizations, because of their rituals. Scary stuff..

as the Pok-a-tok, the mayan football/soccer and the famous frog yoke LOL

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Skinning, brrr...

Cortez is my hero, LOL.
    Miss me yet?

You grow to love them when you play Age of Empires and fight back Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool
    Some of the children were ritually skinned or dismembered before being offered to the gods, he said.

"It was thought that the gods preferred small things and especially the rain god had four helpers that were represented as tiny people," Mr. de Anda said.

"So the children were offered as a way to directly communicate with Chaac," he said.

Archeologists previously believed young female virgins were sacrificed because the remains, which span from about AD 850 until the Spanish colonization, were often found adorned with jade jewellery.

It is difficult to determine the sex of skeletons before they are fully matured, Mr. de Anda said, but he believes cultural evidence from Mayan mythology would suggest the young victims were actually male.
    And after all that there are people who have the nerve to accuse the Spanish as "evil imperialistic colonizers". What exactly were the Maya then? Or even worse, the Aztecs?
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    Skinning, brrr...

Cortez is my hero, LOL.
    Not for me. I preferred Mayans continued to live as civilization. A very interesting people

Quote Originally Posted by Keravnos View Post
    And after all that there are people who have the nerve to accuse the Spanish as "evil imperialistic colonizers". What exactly were the Maya then? Or even worse, the Aztecs?
    No champions of goodness exist in human history. Spanish, Aztecs, Mayans, French, Persians, Carthaginians, Romans etc., are at the same level of cruelness for me
    Last edited by DAVIDE; July 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM.

Would you like to live with them tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-X4X View Post
    Would you like to live with them tho?
    Why not. It could be a way to see and feel things differently

Meh, I guess you could say that.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

You might feel how it is to get skinned alive if that's what you're after...
    Or getting your hart cut out and showed to you before you would die.

Cool...

EDIT:
    Anyway, congratulations!
    Last edited by Treize; July 17, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Miss me yet?

we all die in this life. Skinned alive or car accident is the same thing eheh

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

we all die in this life. Skinned alive or car accident is the same thing eheh
    Actually not really...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Protector Domesticus

Speaking from experience ?