Thread: Some Graphic Errors

Default Some Graphic Errors

Hello for all there :

Well i was playing with this version : 7.03 ( i dont remember from where i download, but sure some your links ) , and ... i meet with this problem in some battles... specifically in roman-british against saxons (without pics, sorry) , and this with the roman empire east against sassanids :

... I was thinking, maybe this is a video-card problem... but, maybe not, because this error not happens in all battles, or all units neither ... and i have played one entire campaign with Franks, and this not appears in none moment...

Maybe i download some corrupted file, but i put the unit Ghilani Infantry in other MOD, only for test, and in other that not have errors...

... well, sorry for disturb, its is only a report, sorry my poor english, the MOD is great ( i liked very much ), greetings .
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; July 17, 2009 at 10:07 AM.

master88's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Some Graphic Errors

Nah, I got some of that already in my past games. Dont know what it is but if I get that bug again I'll tell u what sets it off.
    Roman Gunner

Indefinitely Banned

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

those IB grafical failures were reported years ago the first time, but where never fixed.

There are several units which have this problem.
    -The models are working perfect.
    -The coding has nothing to do with that kind of failure
    -95% of the units don't have that trouble, that means our grafic-card is also ok
    -So it is very possible that it's the texture which is not working proberly.

It has nothing to do with your download, Archaeopterix, we all have that kind of "black thing".
    Sometimes I observed that the officers are mainly causing that trouble, in another battle I have no problems (for some unknown reasons), and in another battle I see that also single soldiers have that kind of problem too - which is also evidenced due to your screenshots.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 08, 2009 at 10:52 AM.

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

I had problems with the Gilanis also, along with the officer models for both Gothic factions and the rebels depending on which unit was selected by the A.I for the captain's unit. My one quibble with the IBFD/IBRR team is that they simply don't respond when you bring up these issues
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

... hello again :

Thanks for all, for the explanations ... I will try to see how to fix it, and yes, I have also seen some comments on some problems in the descr_model_battle.txt . And sorry if I have not read previous post about the same problem, is that very recently I play with this MOD.

Anyway, I insist that the unit "Ghilani Infantry" works fine if I put in another MOD (a trial way)... However, within the MOD (their home) shows these errors ... anyway, is not critical to the creators of IBRR far less, and I still have not seen all the possibilities on this topic.

If I were to find a way to fix it, or the new things, i will report. Greetings to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeopterix View Post
    Anyway, I insist that the unit "Ghilani Infantry" works fine if I put in another MOD (a trial way)... However, within the MOD (their home) shows these errors
    No, that's not true.
    Those error also occurs when you put the units into another mod.
    I have my own mod and for testing purpose I used some cavalry from IB. And also in my own game you can see those grafical errors.
    That you don't have that error always is simply explained: also in the original IB you don't have it always. So, you can check the coding so long as you want - it has probably nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 10, 2009 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster View Post
    I had problems with the Gilanis also, along with the officer models for both Gothic factions and the rebels depending on which unit was selected by the A.I for the captain's unit. My one quibble with the IBFD/IBRR team is that they simply don't respond when you bring up these issues
    We're really sorry if you have felt like that. We have tried to help as much as we can every time someone has asked about this or any other questions. And believe me when I say that these questions have been asked a lot, and the team has done its best to assist. Granted, sometimes, the team is completely unable to help, which is frustrating for both the player and us. I, for one, have not experienced any of those problems reported myself, so as you can imagine is even more difficult to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeopterix View Post
    Anyway, I insist that the unit "Ghilani Infantry" works fine if I put in another MOD (a trial way)... However, within the MOD (their home) shows these errors ...
    If I were to find a way to fix it, or the new things, i will report. Greetings to all.
    Thank you for your help .

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    No, that's not true.
    Those error also occurs when you put the units into another mod.
    I have my own mod and for testing purpose I used some cavalry from IB. And also in my own game you can see those grafical errors.
    That you don't have that error always is simply explained: also in the original IB you don't have it always. So, you can check the coding so long as you want - it has probably nothing to do with it.
    What is not true? That Archaeopterix has no problems when trying those units in another mod? As stated above, I have no problems either. I assume you misread his words and thought he said those problems don't happen, though what he said (and let me quote him) is: "...works fine if I put it in another mod...". But don't worry PM, that happens to the best of us .
    BTW, what do you mean by "the original IB"?
    Last edited by PSEUDO ROMANUS; August 10, 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Art by Joar

Again also for you pseudo
    I'm pretty sure you are not so familiar with coding and texturing - then I will explain that again.
    this grafical failure occurs from time to time always with the same units - independently if you put them to IB - or for testing into another mod. You play 5 battles and no failure occurs, and then you think "falsely" that the unit is working with another mod.
    And that's the reason why it is very dificult to localize the source of that texture failure.

But don't worry Pseudo, that happens to the best of us .
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    ...works fine if I put it in another mod..."
    hear hear
    the main-coder of IB is speaking

but back to the serious trouble shooting
    @pm
    is it possible that a coded value in EDU is producing those failures. I also have them in my installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    Touché, my friend. I admit defeat .

Art by Joar

The EDU is responsible for this:
    (beside the name and type of unit)
    voice_type
    soldier = this is the link to the DMB
    the unit model's scale improves combat effectiveness as it gets bigger. A way to balance this (though not perfectly safe) is through the hidden parametre 'height' that lies in the soldier line.

Then let's start with the soldier line (here you can type in much more than only the model of the soldier):
    [soldiers] : Number of unit's soldiers in medium unit-size settings. Can't be lower than 6 or higher than 60. General units have a max of 31 men.
    [extras] : Number of animals attached to unit again in medium unit-size settings.
    [mass] : Collision mass of the unit. Units with big mass values can "push" their enemies harder and break through enemy lines easier and also hold against enemy pushing better. The mass ratio is not fixed, in that a 1-mass soldier will push a 0.1-mass enemy much easier than a 10-mass soldier would push a 1-mass enemy. In the case of mounted units this stat is of no importance, as it is the mount's mass that's taken into account (see descr_mount.txt).
    [radius](may not be visible) : Hidden attribute radius of the unit. The default value is 0.4. It's the area surrounding each single soldier that he "occupies" as the engine perceives it (not visually that is). Small radius makes a unit fight better, in that it allows soldiers to fight more closely to each other, resulting in more men of the small-radius unit fighting against fewer of the enemy one's.
    [height](may not be visible) : Hidden attribute height of the unit. The default value is 1.7. It represents the height of the unit's soldiers (again not visually). Little is known concerning the exact way that height functions, but it is known that the higher it's value, the weaker the unit.

attributes (unit can swim, sap, warcry etc...)
    formation (schiltrom, testudo, spacing between soldiers etc)
    stat_health + hitpoint
    stats for weapons, upkeep, primary+secondary weapon, fire-rate, recruiting costs,
    stat-ground (here you tell the engine if the unit fights better on sand ground, forest or snow or scrub)
    ownership (should be clear)

As you see, except the "soldier"-line additional-commands (which are unused by IB) I have no idea what kind of stat could provide our textural failure. And: it only occurs from time to time. And: if I used such a "defective" unit for testing in my mod - I also used the same coding. I only exchanged the unit name and the failure occured. With another unit the failure was gone (I check several battles under several circumstances)

In my opinion - and if Archaeopterix has the time to help - he should check the textures of those affected units first. Perhaps something is wrong attached to the model or something like that.
    Of course it's possible that my theory is totally wrong, who knows :-)
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; August 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    Touché, my friend. I admit defeat .
    I say the same thing, the worst happens we also

Again also for you pseudo
    I'm pretty sure you are not so familiar with coding and texturing - then I will explain that again.
    this grafical failure occurs from time to time always with the same units - independently if you put them to IB - or for testing into another mod. You play 5 battles and no failure occurs, and then you think "falsely" that the unit is working with another mod.
    And that's the reason why it is very dificult to localize the source of that texture failure.

yep, yep, yep ... its true, i just check recently, apologized for having insisted then.

In my opinion - and if Archaeopterix has the time to help - he should check the textures of those affected units first. Perhaps something is wrong attached to the model or something like that.
    Of course it's possible that my theory is totally wrong, who knows :-) .
    and, sure... i try it to do our best to always have time.

I had based my insistence by some achievements with a unit (otherwise MOD) said that it is wrong (or was that bug) and I had discovered that by changing the sprites it worked fine... I was pose this, as a similar case.

w

EDIT, some hours after...

Well, no one has responded here I use my own wrong double post...

... I was thinking ( i can wrong again, dont worry )... Not be a solution re-make the skin problem?, =)...
    I'm not saying do it all again with details and everything ... I say only: open the skin with DXT1, move it to editor (in my case, I use Paint.NET program, being simple and effective), maybe make some "very small" modification, re-save as a bitmap, draw the alpha channel, to add new skin ... finally save the file as a DDS DXT5 (512x512) y. .. finally save it in the folder "textures".

Then, i was feeling to free work in it... i make a new skin (as if I were making a new skin, but not), i make some graphic modications (only for test, this should not be the version to be used in the game)... i test it in some custom battles, and seems work fine.

In short, pardon me if I havent good explained, the general idea is to make new files on skin problems, while retaining their original appearance (it's the idea, if we can take to make changes too).

hummm... well, if you want test, test it:

... if im wrong again, sorry, i only want help.
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; August 12, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: SORRY BY THIS DOUBLE POST, IS MINE RROR WHEN I TRY TO EDIT THE BEFORE

A while ago, while running some tests on a variety of units, I found that the following units were troublesome...

Gardingi (Visigoths)
    Frankisk Hridraskara (Franks)
    Wendske Adalinge (Vandals)
    Herulja Harjaz (Langobardi)
    Langobardisk Gasindum (Langobardi)
    Desert Cavalry (rebel/slave)
    Saxones (Saxons)
    Swabisde Adalinge (Alamanni)
    Ghilani infantry

some pointed out earlier that some these issues may be caused by the officer model not being designed correctly in that it gets all wierd when placed on horseback. all of these units (except the Saxones) are cav, so that would seem to be the case.

My idea was that you could build an optional fix similar to the one for the start map models and the vegatation textures, which players with less powerful hardware can still enjoy the mod

Dont worry pals.Nearly all units are changed in 8.0Just more patience..

including the barbarian officer models?

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster View Post
    including the barbarian officer models?
    Yes and there will be new cool units.

lets hope all goes well