Thread: Vilnius and Trakai, a romantic corner of Europe (picture heavy)

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Vilnius and Trakai, a romantic corner of Europe (picture heavy)

Geography
    Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania and located in the south eastern part of the nation. Close to the Polish and Belorussian borders. Trakai is a historical town located 35 minutes by bus away from Vilnius.

Brief history
    Trakai is the old capital of Lithuania with it's castle located on an isolated island in the middle of a lake. Only reachable through a wooden bridge that connects it to the peninsula hosting the village of Trakai. Vilnius overtook Trakai in importance during the 15th century and therafter became the traditional seat of power in the duchy of Lithuania. When the Jagiellonian dynasty rose to power both in the kingdom of Poland and grand duchy of Lithuana the seat of power became Krakow despite the Jagiellonians coming from Lithuana.

After the fall of the Russian empire in 1918 both Lithuania and Poland returned as independant nations. The old alliances were however no more and Poland conquered Vilnius by force inorder to protect the native Poles living in the area. Vilnius was however returned to Lithuania through the treaty of occupation in 1940 when Sovjet forces annexed the nation.

Climate
    Typical inland climate. Warm summer, cold winters.

Food and drinks
    The Čili restaurants chain are an excellent source of food. Providing restaurants with different specialities, pizza, Lithuanian style, chinese and café.

Svyturys Ekstra is the most popular lager beer in Lithuania and also one of the absolutely best. The 2nd most popular beer, Kalnapalis should be avoided. It's not bad by Svyturys is just plain better. Svyturus Baltas is a wheat ale served with a lemon. Also a very good beer. Beer of the bran Utenos also tend to be very good but as common on restaurants.

Pictures from Vilnius

The Cathedral, the absolute centre of Vilnius

The view of Vilnius from Gediminas tower. The last rmaining piece of the fortress overlooking the city.

Same hill different direction (south)

The museum in Gediminas tower. The national museum is located just north of the Cathedral and contains more items than the tower museum. Students enter at half price if they got a student identity card.

Gediminas himself, standing on the cathedral square

St Annes church to the left. The picture show how crowded this city is when it comes to churches

The guardian angel of the city behind the river. St Annes church is a beautiful church built of bricks, just cross the Vilna river on one of the bridges and your reach the city of artists. The Angel is the symbol of this area.

One of the houses in the artists area

A street in the old town. The "bridge house" at the end of the street consists of a small chapel dedicated to Mary. Many Polish people come here to pray.

Trakai

Trakai is located 35 minutes by bus away from Vilnius and is a very popular summer resort with a beautiful castle, great restaurants and a lovely lake suitable for both sailing and swimming

The island castle is located far out into the lake and only accesable through this wooden bridge. It's remote location made it a very safe place for the Grand Dukes of Lithuania. Now it is a unique and well preserved castle with a museum that attract alot of tourism. There is a mixture of Russian German and English translations in the exhibitions making it suitable for most tourists. I must however criticize the antagonism against the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth that is shown in the exhibition. Unlike the national museum the Trakai museum tries to show Lithuania as an independant nation despite it's important position in the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. The war of 1655 where Sweden and Russia made a joint attack against the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth is for example here described as "The Russian Lithuanians war".

To give some perspective on how long the bridge is. There is another bridge on the other side of the island that you see on the left.

It is also possible to rent canoes, boats and even proper sailing ships at the lakeside

Wather can change quickly in Vilnius. This picture is taken 1 hour after the pictures from Trakai, it managed to rain alot between these pictures.

I might also add a map of interesting locations/museums later if people are interested.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Vilnius and Trakai, a romantic corner of Europe (picture heavy)

Beautiful city.

But it's not really that picture heavy. You could throw in a couple dozen pictures more.
    Has signatures turned off.

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Visited both. Absolutely loved it.
    And Trakai is just a jewel.

Btw, I strongly suggest Old Tallin (Estonia). The atmosphere is special...

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Henry of Grosmont View Post
    Visited both. Absolutely loved it.
    And Trakai is just a jewel.

Btw, I strongly suggest Old Tallin (Estonia). The atmosphere is special...
    Tallinn is nice. Perfect for a cruise from Stockholm. You go there spend a really nice day in Tallinn and then go home in the evening. One day in Old Tallinn is usually enough to see all the best stuff so it's perfect for this kind of cruises. Vana Tallinn and Viru Valge watermelon are two of my favourite liqours so theres several advantages with Tallinn.

Best restaurant in Tallinn

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

I like Tallinn as the center is like a mix between the old and modern. Tall business buildings and apartments are blended with orthodox churches, houses from the 16 - 18th century and ofcourse, the wall. They also have very good hotels and licker stores. I don't recommend going out during the night in some areas though. Criminal russian gangs, and stuff.
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

No Offense, but it looks sorta boring

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Looks fantastic if you ask me
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Looks fantastic if you ask me
    Trakai castle from inside is just as impressive as from outside.

Yeah, it seems awsome
    I actually like Eastern Europe alot, especially Poland, Lithuania, Romania and Russia(not to mention the Balkans)
    And I also like European/Middle Eastern countries combined like Georgia and Azerbeijan(or how you spell it)

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Yeah, it seems awsome
    I actually like Eastern Europe alot, especially Poland, Lithuania, Romania and Russia(not to mention the Balkans)
    And I also like European/Middle Eastern countries combined like Georgia and Azerbeijan(or how you spell it)
    It would be wrong to look at Lithuania or Estonia the way you look at Russia. They, actually, never were the true Soviet republics, if you know what I mean.
    And all three: Azerbaijan (I spent some time there), Georgia (same) and Armenia are very very unique.

Yeah but I grouped them on their geographical position not their cultural and/or political similiarities

Looks gorgeous. Added to my list of places to go

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Food and drinks
    The Čili restaurants chain are an excellent source of food. Providing restaurants with different specialities, pizza, Lithuanian style, chinese and café.

Oh yes! I love these restaurants. Every summer when I go to Lithuania I eat there! They have good and not expensive food.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Vilnius looks rather uninspiring, and the combination of old and new is really horrible, shame.

Takai on the other hand is fairytale pretty .
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Geography
    Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania and located in the south eastern part of the nation. Close to the Polish and Belorussian borders. Trakai is a historical town located 35 minutes by bus away from Vilnius.

Brief history
    Trakai is the old capital of Lithuania with it's castle located on an isolated island in the middle of a lake. Only reachable through a wooden bridge that connects it to the peninsula hosting the village of Trakai. Vilnius overtook Trakai in importance during the 15th century and thereafter became the traditional seat of power in the duchy of Lithuania. When the Jagiellonian dynasty rose to power both in the kingdom of Poland and grand duchy of Lithuania the seat of power became Krakow despite the Jagiellonians coming from Lithuania.

After the fall of the Russian empire in 1918 both Lithuania and Poland returned as independent nations. The old alliances were however no more and Poland conquered Vilnius by force inorder to protect the native Poles living in the area. Vilnius was however returned to Lithuania through the treaty of occupation in 1940 when Soviet forces annexed the nation.

Climate
    Typical inland climate. Warm summer, cold winters.

Food and drinks
    The Čili restaurants chain are an excellent source of food. Providing restaurants with different specialities, pizza, Lithuanian style, Chinese and café.

Svyturys Ekstra is the most popular lager beer in Lithuania and also one of the absolutely best. The 2nd most popular beer, Kalnapalis should be avoided. It's not bad by Svyturys is just plain better. Svyturus Baltas is a wheat ale served with a lemon. Also a very good beer. Beer of the bran Utenos also tend to be very good but as common on restaurants.

Weather can change quickly in Vilnius. This picture is taken 1 hour after the pictures from Trakai, it managed to rain alot between these pictures.

I might also add a map of interesting locations/museums later if people are interested.
    Tallinn is nice. Perfect for a cruise from Stockholm. You go there spend a really nice day in Tallinn and then go home in the evening. One day in Old Tallinn is usually enough to see all the best stuff so it's perfect for this kind of cruises. Vana Tallinn and Viru Valge watermelon are two of my favourite liqours so theres several advantages with Tallinn.

Best restaurant in Tallinn

I'm heading over there soon. Thanks for the heads up on beer/restaurants

If anyone got some other ideas with less museums then please share your thoughts

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Indefinitely Banned

amazing
    but i felt kinda sad seeing all those churches
    so sad that so much of lithuania's cultural and religious identity was exterminated and christianised

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Sivilombudsmannen View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm heading over there soon. Thanks for the heads up on beer/restaurants

If anyone got some other ideas with less museums then please share your thoughts

~Wille
    Your lucky, I was in Tallinn again two weeks ago and got dragged along to what I think is the party district in central Tallinn. A guy from the Helsinki school of economics also pointed out his favourite strip club on our way to a church concert and I added it to the map since I don't know what you consider to be good entertainment .

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Nice pics there, it looks really beautiful in Vilnius.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar