View Poll Results: What was Caesar's Greatest Battle?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bibracte

1 2.08%
  • Alesia

27 56.25%
  • Pharsalus

11 22.92%
  • Thapsus

1 2.08%
  • Munda

8 16.67%

Thread: Julius Caesar's Greatest Battle?

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Default Julius Caesar's Greatest Battle?

What do you think Julius Caesar's greatest battle is?

I personally would have to say that his last battle, Munda, is his greatest, with Alesia coming in a close second.

At Munda, Caesar himself said that he had fought for victory elsewhere, but at Munda, he fought for his life (too bad he was assasinated a year later ). At Munda, Caesar faced 80,000 Pompeiian troops of varying quality, with only 30,000 of his own troops. He had to fight uphill, and against another proven leader, Pompey the Great's son, Gnaeus Pompey. Unlike other victories like Thapsus, Caesar can be credited with inspiring his men through personal courage and leading them to victory. For much of the battle he was fighting alongside his crack 10th Legion. Finally, the victory was so complete, and the Pompeiians so scattered, that this victory won him the civil war.

In case this poll doesn't actually work, the choices I would give would be between Bibracte, Alesia, Pharsalus, Thapsus, and Munda.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Alesia, no doubt....

Caesar was seiging Alesia with 6 legions Alesia while there were like 80,000 (figure disputed by archaeologists) Gauls inside and a relief force of around 100,000 Gauls arrived during the siege. The battle is noted for the use of both fortification and contravalations, making it a double siege.

Caesar fought with his legions in this one too, in the attack against the rear of the Gauls that would eventually destroy the relief Gaul force and give the battle to Caesar.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

i'd really like to vote, but i'd need more information about the battles (except for alesia maybe) before i can do so...

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Wiki, man, Wiki!
    Go to: www.wikipedia.com and type the name of the battle... The info is pretty accurate...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I erred between Alesia and Munda before picking Munda.

Ahh, Julius Ceasar. Masterful general and masterful propagandist. I wish we had a Gallic account of Ceasar's campaigns. It's very interesting to compare Josephus' "The Jewish War", which is still pro-Roman, with other histories. Imagine if we had something like that from the Gallic war...

Anyway, Caesar was good but he was not a demigod like some of his supporters like to think. The battles in the Gallic wars are a bit suspect since our only source is (you guessed it) Caesar. In the civil war he was actually outmaneuvered by Pompey at Dyrrachium. Pompey of course managed to lose the decisive battle at Pharsalus, but his plan wasn't bad and it could have worked.
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Okay, I'm not sure what you are getting at Pompeius, but the purpose of this thread was not to the effect of Julius Caesar being a demigod...I simply wanted to know what people thought his greatest battle was.

I understand most of your points are true (although I believe there are other sources for the Gallic Wars, it's simply that Caesar's is the most accessible and popular), but I think you are mistaking the intention of this thread. I understand the man was a shameless propagandist, but that doesn't mean that none of what he wrote is true.

Please try to stay on topic, and answer the question asked in the title. I am not here to prop Caesar up, so there is no need for you to demean him, if that was your intention.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

i VOTE Alesia althogut Phasalus is close as well as munda.
    Alesia demostrated how determined and son of a ***** (ital.=puttana) he was.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I voted Pharsalus. Pompey was a great general, and he had numerical superirity and roman troops...

Borat's Avatar Tiro

well i voted Alesia as Ceaser's best war

I voted for Pharsalus because I think Pompey was a better general then most Gallic generals. Also, because Roman legions are better then gallic soldiers. Else I would have voted for Alesia...
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I would have to agree that the battle of Munda was his most impressive victory ever. His victory at that battle proved that he was one of Rome's greatest Generals if not the greatest.

Pharsalus. Pompey was personally comanding superior force. His troops were fresh and full of belief in victory. That was Caesar's masterpiece.

Fighting off those bastard assasins that took his life. I bet he gave a good account of himself.
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."
    — Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Grenadier
    Fighting off those bastard assasins that took his life. I bet he gave a good account of himself.
    I agree

But his greatest battle as a general would probably be Alesia...

Alesia it is. I concur... and don't look at me like that LOL .
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."
    — Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

Well, I've been reading a great series on Casear by Conn Iggulden. He's writing the Emperor series and Alesia is one of the battles he depicted in the last book Emperor Field of Swords. I reccomend reading it espicially for everybody on these forums since we're all obviously intrested in Rome.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation