Thread: colours

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Default colours

hello!! i really like this mod and i've played it for weeks with various factions and difficulties...

but, just one question come: don't you think that the units' colours are to shiny? i think thay'd be better if they'd be more darker...

thank you for your answers...

regards

Default Re: colours

Hi! We based our palette on the vanilla one, whose units are just as shiny. The thing is, colours appear very bright in the sun, and very dark in the shade, so it's hard to strike a balance when you're skinning (or at least it was hard for me, with my very limited experience). Most other mods have darker skins, but there are people who complain that that often goes too far, so I decided to keep the units in TGW bright and happy like in vanilla, in deference to those who prefer them that way.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

ok, i see..i obviously respect you point!

i also wanted to ask about the lack of models but i've just saw in another thread that you do not have modellers so it doesn't matter...

anyway, just one question...what features do you plan to add in the version 1 that are not in the current version?

(ALL THIS IS IMO, crticism with all the respect)
    I think the units cloths are a bit without deepness, you can try adding shadows/highlights with dodge and burn tool

e.g: the cyan-dressed guy has lack of shadows/highlights in his clothes, or they are so weak. This lack can be noted mainly in the front of skirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

i'm sorry, i didn't wanted to make critics to the mod...

No, criticisms are fine!

I had noticed during development that some of the chitons looked rather flat - it depends in part on the colour used, since for some colours I had to decrease the contrast to get the desired result; the mercenary grey and Corinthian grey-blue in that picture are perfect examples. I contemplated reskinning everything, once I had a chance to properly analyze the results in-game, but I was over-worked at the time and decided that it wasn't as important as getting the mod ready in the foreseeable future. If we create new skins/models in the future, we'll try to give more depth to them.

I might change the shading on the skins sometime. And darken the Spartan red, it's just too bright for me Sel

One of the TGW team...
    I just do whatever needs doing! Sel does most of the work

Foederatus

This topic seemed fine, as my question adresses color, though it isn't an issue. I enjoy photo-editting, drawing, coming up with origional characters and stories, etc. Well one of the things I was so overjoyed with about this mod is that a character I invented for a school creative-writing assignment- Acheron- was from the greek city-state Sicyon which just about nobody knows about. That being the case, I've been doing some photo-editting and I want to make a Render (using a tutorial found on this site^^) of a Greek who is going to represent Acheron with a screenshot background of Sicyonians after victory. Anyways, I was wondering about the color you guys used for the Sicyonians, and also how I could make the crest look like horse-hair.

P.S. (something I thought of while writing this, hah.) Could someone also perchance give me a copy of the Sicyonian crest you guys invented? I kinda can't find anything better on the interwebs.

Of course this is all if you guys have the time.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

That's a great idea for a school creative writing project; I remember a year or so ago using a few screenshots from Empire Total War in a school project, and I think that must be what got me an A.

I'm not sure quite what you want to do with the crests, but here are the skin files (sorta like flatpack images of what a model wil look like in a game) in Jpeg format, if you can't access DDS files. You can probably use these to get some colour samples off. As for the crest, the creators didn't exactly invent it, more like recolour it, but it's on there anyway. Any old crest from the internet would probably do though if you want a more realistic one, because in real life there was no standardisation at that time.

I've also uploaded the skin for the faction banner, because things like that tend to come in handy. Also, if you want the original where that faction symbol was likely taken from, search "Sicyonian coin" into and reputable search engine and it should be one of the first results that come up.

By the way, we would quite like to see that render when it's finished, if that's at all possible...
    Last edited by cpdwane; April 04, 2010 at 02:17 AM.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

The colour used for Sicyon is Tyrian purple. There's no actual evidence that it was ever used in any official capacity (the only factions that were famous for their colours were Sparta and Argos, historically), but Sicyon was famous for its art schools and consequently quite wealthy, so I decided on the most expensive colour of that time, to set it apart from the other states (also because I like it as a colour).

Sicyonian coins show, predominantly, two motifs: a chimera on one side, and a dove on the other side. I chose the dove for various reasons, which is just as well since the chimera is now free for use by Akarnania. We also know that Sicyonian shields displayed the letter sigma, so it's on the shields in this mod.

Funny thing is this mod got started from creative writing. A bunch of writers over at the other forum (.com) started a greek-themed group story, and some of us decided to base a mod on it. Now, with the next version, it is expected to be completely historical, having brushed away all its roots in fiction.

Edit: Here's a larger version, from its development phase. It looks a bit rough, but it was meant to be used after resizing, to smooth out the pixelating.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; April 04, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

Foederatus

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post the finished render in due time.

Foederatus

Well I finally finished it, after a long time trying to find out how to re-color the crest of the helmet. It's not the best thing in the world, but it's an okay start. In due time I'll get better. I wasn't sure where to post it, so... yea, its here. The symbol was for the shield (it had a red Alpha symbol on it I wanted covered up, plus Sicyon is better.) and the color was for the helmet. Thanks for all of your time!

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

If you want a better shield, why don't you just stick a picture of the Sicyonian shield (the whole of it) on top of the hoplite in the picture's shield? You might need to add some definition to the edges of course. Really impressive work otherwise though, I especially like the blurred background.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

it actually look like a movie scene!

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    If you want a better shield, why don't you just stick a picture of the Sicyonian shield (the whole of it) on top of the hoplite in the picture's shield? You might need to add some definition to the edges of course. Really impressive work otherwise though, I especially like the blurred background.
    Thats a good idea, I'll have to do that when I make another ('Cause I will make more in due time )
    Thanks for all you alls help and approval.

Looks good!