Thread: New Map

Default New Map

Is there ever going to me a new map- i remember from MTW2 a mod called Europa Barbaroum I think where it totally re did the map with like 900+(exaggerating) new regions. Will something like that be done for E:TW because especially in NA there isnt enough territories

Default Re: New Map

Quote Originally Posted by graniteknight View Post
    Is there ever going to me a new map- i remember from MTW2 a mod called Europa Barbaroum I think where it totally re did the map with like 900+(exaggerating) new regions. Will something like that be done for E:TW because especially in NA there isnt enough territories
    Probably, yes. However, it won't be anytime soon unless CA releases a map editor (and they will probably release several DLC maps before they do that). We have to get the model converter working first (which should be done this week). Then someone will have to figure out the esf files and that will take a long time. There are literally hundreds of thousands of unlabeled entries that define region boundaries, trade routes, etc.

Thanks for the reply...
    the Game is pretty shoddy to tell the truth I mean the map looks half baked and unfinished its just disappointing

*criticism over*

The reason the map looks like it does is because, in a sense, that's what alot of people were asking for. Back in M2 you had people complaining that the regions weren't big enough and that there were to many cities. CA did what they thought was wanted with the map by merging several regions into one (France, Spain, Ireland, England) which lowered the city count and increased the size of the regions. Then there was the group that wanted HUGE maps with lots of regions, and so for those people they made it so there would be no limit to the region count because it was mostly the mod community that wanted more regions. Unfortunitally, they decided to go with this half-baked system for the game files and not provide the mod community with the tools or even just the documentation we needed to mod it. Dont' get me wrong, the mod community has done alot already, but the map is probably the big ticket item that most people want to fiddle with.. and it's the hardest one to fiddle with. I'm sure once things are figured out and we get tools, either from CA or from the mod community, the amount of modding possible will be mind blowing.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
    The reason the map looks like it does is because, in a sense, that's what alot of people were asking for. Back in M2 you had people complaining that the regions weren't big enough and that there were to many cities. CA did what they thought was wanted with the map by merging several regions into one (France, Spain, Ireland, England) which lowered the city count and increased the size of the regions. Then there was the group that wanted HUGE maps with lots of regions, and so for those people they made it so there would be no limit to the region count because it was mostly the mod community that wanted more regions. Unfortunitally, they decided to go with this half-baked system for the game files and not provide the mod community with the tools or even just the documentation we needed to mod it. Dont' get me wrong, the mod community has done alot already, but the map is probably the big ticket item that most people want to fiddle with.. and it's the hardest one to fiddle with. I'm sure once things are figured out and we get tools, either from CA or from the mod community, the amount of modding possible will be mind blowing.
    Not necessarily. Mapping had been a lot of work with the RTW engine. Now the associated amount of work is staggering. You need to define region borders, movement nodes for the AI, town rotations, elevation data, overlays, trade routes, etc. - all of this has to be done in hard-to-edit files, too.

I'd estimate, even if we knew everything there was to know and would be able to create our own tools, that, without a map editor from CA, mapping would take at least three times as long as it did in M2TW.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Libertus

yeah true, custom mapping is where its at.
    I like to play mods which are concentrated on a specific geographical area but there are still enough regions.
    I can just hope that the geniusus in the modding community create the tools to make map editing simple and easy and make tutorials.
    one thing I noticed is in empire: total war , the textures are not as obvious at Medieval II : total war
    maybe they are using just one huge piece of texture for india for example. or maybe the map is made of textures but then there are minor editings on the map. M2TW looked like a carpet on flat grounds. ETW does not.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

And now as the new Napoleon Total War is announced I don't think that Map Editor will ever released?
    Sad - as this map now is just to much like cartoon for me - I remember the wonderful maps made by fans for the other TW Games.