Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mods do you use?

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default What mods do you use?

Just another in the series of attempts I'm making to try and make people post in threads other than 'Post your Empire' and the occasional "How do I do this?" or "Why is this happening?" thread

Post the mods you use for each game, use / to separate mods that you alternate between

Hearts of Iron II - Tech Tree Extension mod + DAIM / World in Flames / Modern Day Scenario II / 1914 / Kaiserreich
    Europa Universalis III - Whole World Basic / Magna Mundi Platinum
    Victoria - Victoria Improvement Project

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Re: What mods do you use?

EU3 - Vanilla. WWM just makes too many changes for my liking. Well, I did disable pirates, because having them spawn in the Pacific when I can't even get there is incredibly annoying and it just adds micromanagement. Besides, I see the tariff efficiency system already effectivly simulating pirates.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    EU3 - Vanilla. WWM just makes too many changes for my liking. Well, I did disable pirates, because having them spawn in the Pacific when I can't even get there is incredibly annoying and it just adds micromanagement. Besides, I see the tariff efficiency system already effectivly simulating pirates.
    You should get WWM Basic

All it does is remove the permanant Terra Incognita

EDIT: How do you disable pirates?
    Last edited by Pious Agnost; July 14, 2009 at 06:59 AM.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

In the EU3 folder, go history\countries and find the PIR (Pirates) entry. In there, change the line that reads "technology_group = latin" to "technology_group = new_world". This effectivly means Pirates never have the technology for ships and thus never spawn. This only affects new games though.

If you want something save-retroactive, edit the save file and find the pirates entry (takes a while, took me a minute using CTRL-F to search for PIR). Scroll through their file until you find their current tech group and level (don't edit their original one, that won't change anything). Change their techs to 0 and their tech group to new_world.

Strangely, PTI doesn't really bother me a huge deal.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Thanks.

And I don't understand how you can play with PTI, I hated how Africa was merely a sideshow in comparison to North and South America

Whole World Mod, absolutely awesome.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

yxc qwert!'s Avatar Centenarius

Hearts of Iron 2 DD: currently: SKIF, DAIM, +tons of little modifications by me, including a new country, unitpics, leaders, ministers, etc.

EUIII - intel bluemap fix, because my computer is currently crap.

Whole World Mod for EU3, hands down the best mod for the game in my opinion. Magna Mundi changes way to many things in a bad way.

Hearts of Iron 2 I generally alternate between World in Flames which is an awesome mod and the Cold War Tech extension when I feel like sticking close to the vanilla experience.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

From what you guys have seen/heard, does the Whole World Mod Basic cause any imbalances among factions? Do any nations tend to do too well or too poorly with all the new regions? Is it balanced correctly?

I'm still shopping around for a copy of EUIII (I'm very cheap lol), but because I'm looking forward to getting it so much I've been cruising the official forums and the wiki for ideas and tips, and keep coming to the idea of mods. I want to play vanilla for awhile, but simply adding in the PTI would work since it doesn't change core gameplay - unless it unbalances certain factions.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

MMP.

I like realism, plus the HRE system is great.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

MMP for me too, with all the added events it's impossible for me to go back to vanilla.

VIP:R 0.3 for Victoria: Revolutions.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    From what you guys have seen/heard, does the Whole World Mod Basic cause any imbalances among factions? Do any nations tend to do too well or too poorly with all the new regions? Is it balanced correctly?
    The only nation in WWM that seems to do things it shouldn't and always manages to grow and dominate is Japan. Overall though the nations of the world are fairly balanced, as time goes on the weaker nations fade away, though once in awhile you'll see a game where they turn the tables and end up fending off their would be conquerors. Later in the game the world will for the most part be in control of a handful of superpowers just as it was in real life, though which countries are the powers that be generally change every game.

Personally I think it's the best mod out there, the balance amongst nations is solid and with the sole exception of Japan in Siberia and East Asia and it also adds a ton of new goods, quite a few new nations and a bunch of new events and techs along with the expansion of the time line to go through World War 1. It keeps the core game play there and gives you enough flexibility to strengthen and build your nation almost any way you want.

As for what mods to look at, while there are quite a few good mods out there in my opinion WWM and MMP are the two you should be looking at as they are by far the best of the bunch. It's just a matter of what kind of game play you're looking for when deciding between those two. If you want a some what flexible style of game play that will give you a completely different looking map at the end of each game with then go with Whole World, if you are looking to relive history then MMP is hands down the way to go.

Whole World Mod for EU3, hands down the best mod for the game in my opinion. Magna Mundi changes way to many things in a bad way.
    agreed

The only nation in WWM that seems to do things it shouldn't and always manages to grow and dominate is Japan.
    I mentioned this to the creator of the mod and he said that one of the next releases will resolve this issue.

It is well balanced, you have some variations in games with colonization obviously but overall what happens makes sense. My current game had England lose a major war and be marginalized and having Utrect, Swe, Portugal, Spa, and Fra be the main colonial powers.

Russia, either Moscow or Novgorod, usually fares well. Sometimes, though rarely, timurids or golden horde organizes and becomes a power. Usually the golden horde survives if there is no clear winner between moscow/novgorod. China usually gets devastated by rebels but sometimes overcomes that, never expanding very far. France can go from superpower to destroyed by rebels (religions usually) never blobs as bad as in vanilla. Italy is usually mostly unified by a power by games end. Milan or Naples usually. The largest italian power will usually get colonies but not many.

The strongest euorpeon colonial powers will attack india.

I've played a number of games and the strangest thing i've seen was timurds going despotic monarchy REALLY early, for some strange reason, and being a super mega blob of epic porportions. Have yet to see this happen again.

The only issues i've seen was Japan going on asian expeditions, once even going as far as conquering indonesia before euros arrive. Happened only once. They will attack korea/manchu almost always. Also native americans seem to not entice europeons enough to attack them. They survive much longer than in vanilla, sometimes realistically other times not. I have a 1750s game with a westernized Maya controlling all of mexico and being a kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post
    Thanks.

And I don't understand how you can play with PTI, I hated how Africa was merely a sideshow in comparison to North and South America
    I'm just the opposite. I feel really strange colonising lands in the 15th century which europeans didn't even set foot in until the late 19th.

It should be dynamic though, imo. As in, some of the places that may have been completely inaccessible in 1492 should definitely be accesible in 1821.

In WWM africa isn't heavily colonized until very late in the game. Only portions that do get colonized is south africa and some along the coast.

The AI ususally goes after america/asia first then africa from what i'm seeing.

Africa has a very low colonization chance, high aggressiveness huge stacks of natives, and the tropical penalty. Playing 2 games in WWM right now and am in the mid/late 1700s and africa is getting a lot of attention finally.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

WWM is fun, but too unfinished for my tastes.

Vanilla

For EUIII:
    Full Conversions:
    Civilisation Universalis:WWM
    Magna Mundi Platinum
    Aetas Tenebrarum
    Rising Nations

For HoI II Arma:
    Full Conversions:
    Kaiserreich