View Poll Results: What

Voters
293. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was raised in a religion. (religious)

54 18.43%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (religious)

57 19.45%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through proselytization. (religious)

3 1.02%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through a life changing event. (religious)

8 2.73%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through other means. (religious)

7 2.39%
  • I was raised without religion. (irreligious)

27 9.22%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (irreligious)

118 40.27%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through proselytization. (irreligious)

4 1.37%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through a life changing event. (irreligious)

5 1.71%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through other means. (irreligious)

10 3.41%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

Banfred's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

What would being raised in a certain way, falling out and then returning to pretty much the same beliefs through reason fall under?

I guess the second one.
    Do you play Morrowind? Do you like old castles, ferocious hairy beasts, expansive wintry forests, and killing dark elves?

Then check out Skyrim: Home of the Nords! A mod for TES III: Morrowind.

Default Re: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

I was raised to be a Roman Catholic.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

I arrived at my beliefs through vigorous debate at TWC.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

I havent arrived at them as yet, and if I ever do then I most certainly have gone against them.

but yea twc has helped me arrive at that.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

Alright, Dayman, I presume you intend to make the results visible when 300 people have answered? Can you just let 260 stand it?
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR

Yersinia's Avatar Libertus

My mother's family is Jewish and my father's family is Christian.

My father died in an accident when I was almost four. All his family told me that my dad had gone to heaven, that he was happy, and that I would see him again someday, etc, etc, etc. This really confused me because my mom spent years mourning him, and no matter how much I tried to convince her of what my dad's family had said, she didn’t stop mourning. After watching her for a while I decided that there either was no god or if there was one I hated him and wanted nothing to do with him.

When I first started university I also studied neuroscience which called into question everything about "god".

I'm still agnostic. Not angry anymore though.

I suppose I arrived at my beliefs through a life changing event and later on through reason...

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

I was born in a very religious Sunni Muslim family, but my parents never forced my to practice my faith.. when I was seven I began to study Quran and I memorized many chapters from it. my parents were very open minded they told me if you want be a good Muslim you have to find out the validity of Islam by yourself ,thus I had read tons of book about my religion. I even made debates with non-Muslims to defend Islam. now I'm 100% satisfied with my faith I'm even proud of being Sunni not anything else.

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

I was raised in a very religious Greek Orthodox Christian family and environment, but on the way I started using my brain and questioning everything (not only religion), through logic and reason.

I don't consider anything to be a matter of belief, only a matter of knowledge. Either you know something (and you can prove it), or not. It's as simple as that. If you don't/can't know/prove something, it's very naive to believe in it in the first place.

I voted for "I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (irreligious)"

Primicerius

results being hidden must be the most dumbest thing i've seen YET. why have a damn poll if you cant see results?!?!?!

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son View Post
    results being hidden must be the most dumbest thing i've seen YET. why have a damn poll if you cant see results?!?!?!
    There will always be people who are swayed by what the majority thinks, so he wants to make sure the data is pure.

Strelok's Avatar Civitate

I hope the results can be revealed soon. I am very interested.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Can't we ask a moderator to reveal the results?
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I have changed the poll so that is closes in 10 days. If there are any problems with this please PM me.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Thank you Squid.

EDIT: Holy! It'll close on the Silvester!
    Last edited by Nazgūl Killer; December 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

number two

Cornelius Plautus's Avatar Centenarius

I was raised a Unitarian, which meant I really had no religion forced on me as a child. For reasons of which even I am unsure, I have chosen to believe in God, but I don't think I'll be praying towards Mecca or attending mass on Sundays any time soon.

-Click on the Eagle for a Surprise!-

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post
    number two
    Hehehe, that's another way of saying pooh...............hahaha.

now you made me sound like a retard, thanks a lot buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch-hereticK View Post

now you made me sound like a retard, thanks a lot buddy.

You need help with that?
    I'm just messing with you mate. Just couldn't resist.

blackwatersix's Avatar Biarchus

Good to see the results are out!
    Makibaka para sa Pambansang Demokrasya na may Sosyalistang Perspektiba!SERVE THE PEOPLE.

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

Hmm...This is very interesting. I am quite surprised at the tiny numbers that came to religion through proselytization-I mean, sure, Jehovah's Witnesses dont work, but I would have thought it would be more than that. The irreligious numbers are as one would have expected-mostly reason, some raised, and only marginal amounts for the rest. I'm also surprised that more came to religion through reason than were born into it-I had expected a majority raised, then about half, maybe more, from reason.
    Again, very interesting.
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR