View Poll Results: What

Voters
293. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was raised in a religion. (religious)

54 18.43%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (religious)

57 19.45%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through proselytization. (religious)

3 1.02%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through a life changing event. (religious)

8 2.73%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through other means. (religious)

7 2.39%
  • I was raised without religion. (irreligious)

27 9.22%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (irreligious)

118 40.27%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through proselytization. (irreligious)

4 1.37%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through a life changing event. (irreligious)

5 1.71%
  • I arrived at my beliefs through other means. (irreligious)

10 3.41%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

"Soft atheism" v.s "Hard atheism", perhaps?

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Default Re: Another fact finding poll: How did you arrive at your beliefs? (read the first post before voting!)

Too sexual

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I arrived at my beliefs through proselytization.

Raised as a Sunni Muslim. My parents were also raised as Muslims. My mom was/is an accountant and she decided to send me to the mosque at a young age to get the basics of my religion, I did once ask her what was better (creationism/evolution theory) and she gave me a clear answer: the one you'll need the most and what is accepted today. My dad wasn't really religious although he sometimes went to Friday prayers. He did participate Ramadan and etc. I really couldn't think for myself so I accepted blind faith until high school. The imam at the mosque was a young friendly chap who actually never fell into the subjects of creation/evolution etc. During high school, I started to question my faith (because I hardly had practiced it) Later I met a guy on another forum who made me an agnostic and later on a girl in my class would revert me back to a Sunni and I decided to read religious books and while I was getting paranoid about what to choose I decided to ask my best friend what was the best choice and he gave me a simple answer: be a rationalist muslim. I've decided to follow an Arabic course early September.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    Too sexual
    Thee words:
    No. Such. Thing.

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

How about implicit and explicit atheism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Those are different. Agnostics are implicit atheists, unless they are agnostic theists.

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

No, actually explicit and implicit atheism have to do with how conscious your atheism is, and is not a very important distinction to make. Babies, for example, are said to be implicit atheists because while they are without a belief in God (thus atheists) they also haven't thought about it; there is no conscious absence of theism. This is called implicit atheism.
    Explicit atheism is the conscious rejection or absence of belief (in other words: all grown-ups who can qualify as atheists).
    Wikipedia is correct in its illustration:

Babies (and people who don't believe but haven't actually looked into religion) belong in the category of implicit atheism. It's technically a subset of weak atheism.
    Explicit atheism consists of weak atheists and strong atheists, the former without a belief in God, the latter with a belief in no God.

Most agnostics are also weak atheists however, so you were correct in that regard.

I honestly don't see why these terms seem so abstract. They are perfectly clear and easy to understand. Not nearly as hard as figuring out in what aspects Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, Born-Again-Christians and Anglicans differ in.
    Last edited by Tankbuster; August 18, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

I'm an atheist, always have been, always will be. I was raised without religion and it has never played an important role in my life, the area I live is not home to many religious people. However, reason has helped to fortify my beliefs.
    Last edited by Brain_in_a_vat; September 20, 2009 at 07:38 AM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

The Carpathian Forests (formerly Scotlland)

Raised Catholic with large Darwinistic input, now 'strong' Atheist.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Raised in a rather not very religous catholic family, I was batptized and taught how to pray, went to church on weddings and funerals, but aside from that we are really all atheists in my family

My parents are Christian, we were all baptized, but we were not raised Christian. We never went to Church, looked at the bible, or talked about God. I am religious, and I came to that purely by my own ends. My parents opinions on God were always kept to themselves, rightfully so.
    “All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity. Who can follow out such an astonishing career? The Author of these wonders, and He alone, can comprehend them.” - Blaise Pascal
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

DimondLight's Avatar Senator

Myself, my parents allowed me to think what I wished. They are Christian, but we never went to church and they never really talked about their personal religious beliefs to me. Eventually I just came to believe that the idea of "God" is silly(IMO).
    Proud American

I became a Christian through reason.

My parents are agnostic and I was sent to a Church of England school from 4-11. I choose to be baptised when I was 10 as a statement that I believed in God but I never really took it seriously. By the time I started studying Religious studies (aged 14) I was agnostic. As I studied, over 4 years I became a deist and then a weak Christian. By the time I start University I believed Christianity to be true but basically I couldn't be bothered / didnt want to let it affect my lifestyle. Early on in University I started to think about things more and I decided that as I believed it was true it was pretty stupid not to make it the focus of my life, so I did and it was the best decision I have ever made.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

I have studied and looked into the many christian religions

I was born into a Baptist family. But my Grandparents are Catholic. Now, I am forced to go to a Baptist Church, in which I don't like, nor I believe in. I have made this known to my parents, and they said when I am under there house, I will attend there church. That kinda pissed me off. So, I suppose I am choice number one. A Roman Catholic. But I have been looking into Eastern Orthodox and at one point even Agnostic beliefs.

I was raised Christian but converted to Atheism

I was raised Jewish, but religion and God never meant anything to me. When I was 15, I concluded that for all intents and purposes we (individuals) are all divine. We can change our environment and affect the lives of other individuals. We may not raise mountains and shape seas, but we can change the world we live in in smaller, yet significant ways. That we created God in our image, and that God is the child of humanity, rather then the other way around. It was then that I thought of myself as an atheist. Thus, I believe that Yahweh exists as a concept, but it is nothing more, not omnipotent nor divine.
    this frozen earth of greats relative to true desire for the notes and, it is which they stood still maintenance including but not limited to the potatos and the carrots and other wonderful vegetables of root. we to search for forever the harvest of quality during the years, but nourishment and protection from the ashes of hunger, it give us. harvest Ô kind-hearted, to be blessed and could, it no not similarly on to correspondence and to triumph, it was which necessary to contemplate, but stoic of valor grounded into the frozen earth of old.
    [Last.fm] [RYM]

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

I am lutheran, and so are my parents. But we never discussed religion in our family, apart from the institution. I'm considering leaving the church because it has nothing to offer me, and in Finland you pay taxes to the church, and I don't want to pay for something that I don't believe in. (Not paying anything atm, since I'm 19 ). My father believes that the church uphold traditions. But christmas nad other stuff are hardly upheld by the church anymore. Voted I was raised without religion. (irreligious)

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Zymran's Avatar Ordinarius

I arrived at my beliefs through reason (irreligious)

I have definitely thought long and hard about my disbelief in religion. But, that said, I was raised by my mother who is also an atheist, and she must have instilled some of her beliefs in me, even though she actively tried for me to make my own decisions. I think I have my beliefs are mostly a result of my own reasoning, but I also think upbringing affects us in so many unseen ways that I'm bound to have been influenced by my mother's beliefs as well.
    Terror of the Steppes: a Kypchak AAR
    Check out my tutorial: how to change one faction into another HERE

persianfan247's Avatar Senator

I am both of these

I was raised without religion. (irreligious)
    I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (irreligious)

Because both of my parents are irreligious and they decided not to mention anything about religion when I was growing up, so I didn't know they were irreligious untill myself decided I was an Atheist and asked them at about 13.

I am uncertain on what to vote for, but I guess I should vote for "I arrived at my beliefs through reason. (irreligious)", simply because I clearly did arrive at this conclusion with my own reasoning and at the same was raised without religion, but I was not raised to be irreligious(well you could kind of argue that I was).

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Erchamion View Post
    I voted "I was raised in a religion (religious)".

My parents have been Protestant Christians since before they were married, and I was raised on Christian teachings and beliefs. As I have grown older, however, I have become convinced that Biblical Christianity is compatible with reason; indeed, that it is the only intellectually satisfying worldview. So for me it's a combination of being raised a Christian and analyzing my beliefs through reason.
    This. My beliefs have not changed for as long as I can remember, I have only built on them and expanded their scope when my own intellectual development required it.

I like to describe it by saying that reason has never lead me away from my beliefs, and I am confident it will continue not to do so.

*EDIT* Btw, why are the results hidden?

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31