Thread: Formations Mini-Mod

Default Formations Mini-Mod

dHHR is a great mod, but there has always been one thing that has bothered me, and that is the awkward field battle formations that are present in the mod. And so, after playing for a while, I decided to fix ths issue by attempting to modify the descr_formations_ai file, and creating more realistic/gameplay enhancing formations. Now, this is only a preliminary version, and I have definately not completed my work on this mini-mod. In fact, I am currently reworking it at the moment. However, I felt that I should share this with anyone who wished to use it.

First of all, in this version I have done little modification, and therefore the formations are farfrom ideal. The issues I had with the old formations have been solved, and I have reduced the gaps and segmentation in the formations. Now there are clearly defined lines and a prominent core to each army when in battle. This should help the AI when manouvering, and it should now use its forces more as a whole, instead of individual groups.

I have only modified the first 5 formations (the ones that code for open battle fields), bridge battles, ambushes and seiges have not been modified, primarily because I have never done bridge/ambush battles in dHHR, and therefore have no clue whether the formations are good or bad. I have also only completely re-made 2 of the formations, in the others I have simply reduced th spacing and moved units in order to keep the army together. In the future, I am planning to rework the rest and implement historcally accurate formations.

Now, if people are interested in using this file, I only ask one thing, and that is that you provide feedback. Because, as there are no custom battles in dHHR, it is very hard to test the new formations and I have no way of knowing if there are problems with them, or if things need to be improved. So bassically, while you play with it, if you see something awkward, make not of it and tell me, also if there is something thats really off, then make a little sketch of the unit positions if you can, and post it here. It would be a great help.

Finally I have one last note... These formations were designed for near full stacks, and so you may find some issues with the formations in smaller stacks. This shouldnt happen, but it might, as I still need to alter the priorities a bit, if it does, leave me a message. Oh, and if anyone wants to provide a sketch of a formation they think I should include, feel free to post it.

Also, if you notice things like the AI not flanking, the AI charging its units awkwardly, that has nothing to do with this, as this does not modify the BAI behaviour at all. For best results, I suggest downloading a BAI that you like, personally I like XAI. Most of them should work with the mod, I cant see any reason why they wouldnt. But... whatever you do, do not accidentally download a CAI (Campaign AI) first of all, this wont help the ai in battles, and second of all it will severely mess up the interactions of HRE factions in your campaign. If you notice that the archers are straying too far from the infantry or something like that though, I may be able to fix that by moving the archers in the formation.

Sorry about that really long description, but anyways... Enjoy. I should have a new version up with better formations by the end of the week.

Edit: There seems to be some sort of issue with my formations and seige units, if anyone could test it to see if it only CTDs on battles with seige equipment, that would be great. For now, I am going to simply work on the second version, that way I can ensure that its all accounted for. I should be done around Saturday or Sunday.

Edit: I've added a new version, make sure you remove the v3 and then copy it into your data folder. For this one, I've altered the unit defeault widths in order to make the formations more compact. I've also further reduced the spacing, and added in a reinforcement formation.

Edit: The General Units looked odd, so I fixed that, I've tested it out in many battles now, and played a campaign to about turn 80 with it. There are no issues, so test it out, and leave comments please.
    Last edited by Maniple Mayhem; July 16, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

konny's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Formations Mini-Mod

This is really amazing! I will try it out as soon as possible.

Concerning the testing: Are you familiar with descr_start.txt? If so, you can set up a starting battle by placing a full stack of rebels next to one of the starting armies, reinforce this starting army, and then you can play a 'custom battle' anytime you start a new campaign with this faction.

The strange behaviour of the archers might be a result of the bizzar values used for charge distance in EDU.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

great!!!

adding XAI is a good idea, i loved it in PDER.
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; July 14, 2009 at 09:35 AM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

@Maniple Mayhem

unfortunately, im getting a ctd when trying to start the battle.

Ah ok... ya, I've been finding a few issues with my formations as well, and so I'm remaking it at the moment. I might be able to finish it tonight if I have enough time.

Ok, the new version that I just put up should be 100% bug-free. Its pretty much the same as the original though. I've tested it about 20 times, and in each I didn't have any issues. Check the first post to download it.

Here are a few pictures of one of the formations, in case anyone wanted to see them.

Sorry about the triple post....
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; August 09, 2009 at 01:04 PM.

konny's Avatar Artifex

Yes, this looks much better. I am going to test it on the weekend.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome

konny's Avatar Artifex

First tests: Battles seem to work without crashes, also with reinforcements.

Fought one battle with good results: The AI kept its formations, sent crossbowmen to the front to fight my archers (suprisingly its crossbows did really shoot and not just stand around), and when it seemed to judge that it could not win the missle battle (I had the high ground and more archers), the AI charged frontal with all units at once.

At no point did I detect 'isolated' AI units that would have been free game for my knights. The AI constantly fought with a lethal mix of spearmen and knights. I only barley won because I had much more spearmen and the higher ground.

Excellent work, keep it up!

Thanks for the feed back!

very very good!
    + rep

d.