Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugestion for Julianus for next beta or final release

Default Sugestion for Julianus for next beta or final release

Perhaps you could or: lower the level of population in each of Romes settlements OR put in infrastructure accordingly......
    Because wee have now unrealistic situation with big cities having no simple infrastructure... like sewers for example its crazy.

Now... I know why you did it, to make a campaign more challenging for play (because you don't have other way, you are limited with RTW engine and hard coded stuff)
    But please, its wery unrealistic... the result is, like I said to you, endlesly exterminating your own population.....
    Besides that anoying thing... this is excelent mod. I love it.

Default Re: Sugestion for Julianus for next beta or final release

Ive never had a problem with the infrastructure. ive only had to exterimante 3 cities once and had a total of four rebellions in my campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    Ive never had a problem with the infrastructure. ive only had to exterimante 3 cities once and had a total of four rebellions in my campaign.
    What???? Thats not possible I had to reconquer ALL Spain, pieces of middle east, bigger part of north africa and some provinces in Gaul... around ONE THIRD of my empire!!!

i lost half of spain 1 province in gaul and i also destroyed the villa rustica i think its called it gave link a -10 law which really helped

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    i lost half of spain 1 province in gaul and i also destroyed the villa rustica i think its called it gave link a -10 law which really helped
    Quote Originally Posted by Edzamon View Post
    What???? Thats not possible I had to reconquer ALL Spain, pieces of middle east, bigger part of north africa and some provinces in Gaul... around ONE THIRD of my empire!!!
    No doubt, playing as Julianus in the 355AD or 361AD campaign is tough, with rebellious cities. It does depend on what level you are playing as well. The harder the level the more unrest will occur. But again unrest is driven a many factors including:

Faction leader's religion
    Governor's religion
    Distance from capital
    Religious tensions within the city
    Squalor within the city
    Foreign cultures within the city
    Lack of any Garrison in the city

So, it can be very difficult to control all of these things. You can of course attempt to ease the above possible tensions by:

Constructing buildings that increase happiness
    Dismantle buildings that are causing unrest (religious buildings for example)
    Move your Governor out if his religion conflicts with the population (though if you are wanting to convert the masses, having significant figures of a different religion is important)
    Increase the garrison of the city.
    etc, etc

Even so, some cities will revolt. Capturing them and exterminating them will usually ease the tensions quite a bit. It is difficult in the early phases of the campaign as you will be quickly starved of cash, but you can also use it to your advantage by regaining these cities and getting some much need cash.

As the campaign progresses and you retake these cities things start to settle down, though there will always be those hotbeds of discontent in any empire I say.

As they say, life wasn't meant to be easy, especially for a Roman Emperor!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

That's why I love this mod!

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

First thank for great mod, new units are perfect!
    Question - in next version can we play for Slavs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dionisy View Post
    First thank for great mod, new units are perfect!
    Question - in next version can we play for Slavs?
    For this time period there is no Slavic faction.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't think the slavs had emerged at this point.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Then how 'bout some improved infrastructure in MOST OF the roman settlments?
    I am sure Rome was not like India.

i like how the infrastructure is it makes things difficult which is how it should be to run a roman empire.

It makes it feel all dark ages like which is awesome and stopps the Romans from settling their internal disputes too quickly and marching all over the map.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Agreed. There is a real sense of having to balance conquest with careful management here and development - just as the Late Romans had to.

And failed epically to do!

Foederatus

Well, I believe it's quite realistic not to be able to improve very much on the infrastructure (they didn't do a lot of building during civil wars), at least not until you are able to stabilize the situation. About the revolts: one other thing you can do is to move the capital somewhere closer to the actual center of your empire, it will have a major impact on the little red faces in Spain and Africa.

In my opinion, one thing I'd like to see in the new release is having many more historical characters. Julian's age is one of the best documented periods in roman history and we could have a lot of historical generals, diplomats and even spies and assasins. I think having a lot of (disloyal) governors and generals would also increase the risk of major rebelions - not only city revolts, but also armies.

Quote Originally Posted by pere_ubu View Post
    Well, I believe it's quite realistic not to be able to improve very much on the infrastructure (they didn't do a lot of building during civil wars), at least not until you are able to stabilize the situation. About the revolts: one other thing you can do is to move the capital somewhere closer to the actual center of your empire, it will have a major impact on the little red faces in Spain and Africa.

In my opinion, one thing I'd like to see in the new release is having many more historical characters. Julian's age is one of the best documented periods in roman history and we could have a lot of historical generals, diplomats and even spies and assasins. I think having a lot of (disloyal) governors and generals would also increase the risk of major rebelions - not only city revolts, but also armies.
    , I thought I had already included historical figures to the best on my knowledge, but always happy to include more.

Foederatus

Sorry for being too critical, there are a lot of historical figures, but there could be a lot more (in fact, I believe every general, spy, assasin or diplomat for the roman factions could be historical). If I'm not too presumptious, I could try helping with suggestions aboout their names, characteristics and places where they should be found (I have some knowledge of late Roman history and some spare time to check Ammianus, Julian and other sources for this era). Once again, sorry if I was too critical; this is one of the best mods I ever did see and I only want to try making it perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by pere_ubu View Post
    Sorry for being too critical, there are a lot of historical figures, but there could be a lot more (in fact, I believe every general, spy, assasin or diplomat for the roman factions could be historical). If I'm not too presumptious, I could try helping with suggestions aboout their names, characteristics and places where they should be found (I have some knowledge of late Roman history and some spare time to check Ammianus, Julian and other sources for this era). Once again, sorry if I was too critical; this is one of the best mods I ever did see and I only want to try making it perfect...
    I'd love you to help, if you have the time, though I would only include these changes for the final BETA release/Official Release, as it may make existing games incompatible.

Thanks

Foederatus

I'll be glad to help. In my opinion, the best will be to open up a new topic dedicated only to suggestions for historical characters for the final beta release where people can put up/brainstorm their ideas on this particular matter.

I was thinking of including cash payments for when major cities are taken. For example when an imperial city ala Constantinople, Rome, or Augusta Trevorum were taken then the faction would recieve a cash bonus of say 100,000 denarii in the case of Constantinople. This would be to replicate the Treasury being plundered.

What are peoples thoughts on this??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast