View Poll Results: Vote for your favourit.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Submission 1 : Golden Scourge

5 31.25%
  • Submission 2 : For King and Country

4 25.00%
  • Submission 3 : Divine Tune

4 25.00%
  • Submission 4 : It Rides!

2 12.50%
  • Submission 5 : A Tale of Two Atabegs

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come and vote for your Champion - Tale of The Week 48

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Come and vote for your Champion - Tale of The Week 48

Advertising is allowed in the official advertising board and in AAR threads. Any other kind of direct advertising to advocate nominees is prohibited. Those who breach this rule shall be disqualified for 3 months.

The competition manager will take whatever steps necessary to insure the integrity of the competition.
    1 Vote per person!!

Read the stories and
    Vote For your favourite Story.

Share your comments.

Submission 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Golden Scourge

My name is Taemojin, son of Dodejin. Of Ujur clan. Loyal servant of great Temur-Khan and his most trusted bodyguard.

So much trust he has in me, that he had me lead his advance force into Besarabian towns and let the Novgorod and Kiev overlords know what's coming from the far and wide east.

Screams of the youth, of the women and of the old fill the night, almost overwhelming the thundering sound of squadron's hooves.
    "From each town leave but one alive, leave them with but one eye and point them to but one road, the one to their lord's keep. We need someone to spread the terror, and who is better for that but the weak and powerless? Numbed and maddened by the terrors of Horse Lords..."

Quote:
    "Ride now Taemojin. Ride, and grant me the pride of having you lead my army!"
    This town is unusual. Reminds me of desert towns near Baghdad...

Riding through the town, I finaly see one to serve as the messenger lord instructed me to make of each town. A boy with fiery yellow hair, not more than 12 seasons old, terror widening pupils of his westerner eyes to so much it seems he had no whites around them. One eye soon enough, soon enough...But there's something about him...about the town as well...I can't find the word...Gleam. Would that be the word? That Chinese tutor was so utterly useless! My father thought too highly of those pesky creatures...A man that don't carry a sword is not a man that should be listened to! How can you learn from such a man...

Quote:
    "Tell them it's the Golden Horde...Golden Horde that's coming their way!"
    Those thoughts finaly lit up the darkened corners of my mind, finding the word I was seeking. Golden...The town looks bathed in gold. Sublime feeling, almost unreal, as we glide on our steeds through the streets and among the buildings lit by thousands of torches...Yes, town does look covered with gold...As if gold was shed upon it by invisible hand from above...

As if it was whipped, whipped by a flaming Golden Scourge...

Submission 2
    For King and CountryAn arrow wedged in my shoulder irritated me, mocking at my sorrow.
    A slash of the sword on my back, hurt me, deepening my resolve.
    With such pain all over...
    With no power to recover...
    With no strength to lift my left hand,
    And with no resolve to my mind...
    I took up my sword, it also mocking me...
    My defeat was nigh, none gazed upon me...
    I looked at the line of horsemen riding through the streets...
    No more will I hear my heart's beats...
    I gazed upon their leader, armored full well with his sword held high...
    I felt the end was nigh...
    I could not move...
    I could not stop...
    And then it dove...
    Another harrow hit me deep...
    Deep in my gut...
    I felt like a rotten mutt...
    But I was not to be stopped.
    I would not be removed.
    I would not leave this world without a meaning...
    I had to do something, as death was looming...
    There he was.
    In the horizon.
    The cause,
    For it I fight on...
    My king laid on a pike...
    My pain spiked...
    Revenged pumped through me...
    Grew inside me...
    I got up... Lightning fast...
    No more darkness shall be cast...
    He was dead, the leader.
    His soldiers, shiver.
    I saw him again... My king...
    And before him stood a being...
    It beckoned...
    I respond...
    And I was taken beyond the world...

Submission 3
    Divine Tune

Dark clouds were hovering over us as an omen of what was to come. The same dark clouds were hovering in my heart and it lead my mind to the worst of places.
    I could not stop myself to think that this could be the last time I was in my beloved home city, the last time I would see my beautiful baby girl.
    She was sleeping peacefully in her little crib that I had built for her and suspected nothing of the danger that was looming over us.
    I could not shake this dreaded feeling that it was my destiny to die in the upcoming battle, together with the rest of Saladin’s army.
    Rumors of those white men who were defending the holy city had reached us long ago, whose king has murdered the people of Jerusalem.
    They knew not the meaning of the word compassion, they were fighting in the name of a God yet they were the worst of mankind,
    only letting my thought dwell upon them made my hart as cold as the steel my sword was made of.

A horn could be heard from the highest tower, it was time.
    Time to meet our destiny, to meet our foe in battle.
    I feared that all would be lost, but not all my hope had vanished for if there was a man able to defeat those dreaded monsters from lands far away it would be our glorious leader Saladin.
    He had already brought some crushing defeats onto those infidels but nothing of this scale. But nonetheless we would follow him to battle, we would even follow our divine leader trough the cursed gates of hell.
    And so we rode for glory, lord and Allah to meet our foes in battle, it reminded me of a saying my father once thought me.
    “When Satan makes impure verses, Allah sends a divine tune to cleanse them.”
    We were the divine tune send to cleanse this world of the impurity those crusaders and their false God represented… And we would succeed!

Submission 4

As I ride through these crumbling passageways and walks of men will thou say no? Will thou protest? Will my presence be questioned? We who ride say no!

Words are wind to me and my kind, idle fluttering of pitiful notes; breakable phantasms that shall do naught but murmur as useless, as worthless as those who formed and birthed them.

Protestation, inflammation of an inevitable end, enraging our coming. Incensing the nature of we who ride, we who rule. We, righteous men, shall bare no complaint. Suffer no dissent. For we who ride stand triumphant to all, for all. This is the first and last, the truth of things.

And now, with judgement just nigh on the blackened horizon, will thou question us this day? Question our right? No! For you stand upon naught but sand, eroding as people of stone. Unmoving, unneeded husks of men you may have been. With nay but questions thou shall tread the path aside us, beside us. Below us! Thou shall make way, as befits kinds most abominable, for me, glorified and radiant in the coming splendour of dawn’s caressing touch. For it comes. The dawn arrives soon, on our horizon. And as suits one of such magnificence, such wondrous supremacy, It Rides!

Submission 5

Dimashk was under siege. Prince Duqaq could see the great host approaching the walls of his city, like a huge fiery flood, the torches flickering and twinkling devilishly as they got closer and closer. Duqaq was the son of Tutush, Sultan of Syria, and he was not going to let his birthright be desecrated by Radwan, bastard despot of Aleppo.

Duquq had never got on with his brother. Radwan had always been Tutush's favourite son, even though he was the youngest, and so Duqaq resented him bitterly. But he was too cunning to oppose him openly. Even when Tutush was assassinated mysteriously, with a whole battalion of Ismaili guardsmen to protect him, Duqaq bided his time whilst Radwan ruled Syria. Then, his opportunity came. Ilghazi, emir of Jerusalem and a close friend of Duqaq's, fell out with Radwan's guardian Janah, and threatened war. Duqaq seized the chance, and fled Aleppo with a small group of followers for Dimashk.

Radwan had impetuously marched on Dimashk, as Duqaq had known he would, and now his army stood in front of the city.

"Give the signal," ordered Duqaq rather conceitedly; his brother was so predictable it was laughable. Even when they were children, Radwan had been so easy to fool, putty in the hands of his elder brother. The fool had been angered into action, and had thereby walked straight into the trap - 20000 heavily armoured mamluk fursan commanded by the infamous ilghazi, greatest commander in the Levant. Duqaq smiled, as he watched the Ismaili messenger he had ordered run down to give the signal and ensnare the foolish 18-year old and his merely 5000 strong force.

But little did Duqaq know that Radwan had organised a little trick of his own. The Nizari Ismailis, better known in later years by their nickname, the Hashashin, were loyal not to Duqaq but to Radwan. The messenger had not run down to deliver the message, but back into the palace and up the stairs to the balcony. He proceded to impale Duqaq in the neck with a crossbow bolt. He died still smiling smugly at his impending victory.

After one of Radwan's spies had informed him of the trick his brother had been planning, it was a simple matter of bribing Ilghazi and the city was effectively his. Radwan trotted ahead of his army, and rode into Dimashk through the already open gate. Syria was his, and his obnoxious brother had been killed by his own foolish pride. Afterall, pride always comes before a fall. As Radwan's mamluks paraded through the city with the little opposition that remained melting away before them, he felt utterly content.

Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; July 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Default Re: Come and vote for your Champion - Tale of The Week 48

Just wondering if there is any rule against voting for your own tale? I'm not going to, not like me, just curious as to whether or not it's generally allowed?

Well there isn't a rule against it there should be.
    Like in the graphics competition, you also get 1 vote and you can't vote for yourself, it worked well so far.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Nah, you can, it's just a good idea with 2 votes - vote for yourslef and... someone else
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

You can vote for your own submission, but it is n' t encouraged.

Also 2 submissions have been rejected by me. I say it here before every one starts screaming murder. The reason why they are rejected is in the submissions thread tale of the week 48.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Too bad, I don't get it why people just don't stick to that simple rule.

If everyone voted for themselves and then someone else, you'd pretty much just be voting for someone else

The one vote rule is probably better...although you should only vote for yourself if you do TRUELY believe yours is the best piece of work I guess.

Well seeing as Nazgul Killer already voted for his own story I'm just going to do the same.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
    Too bad, I don't get it why people just don't stick to that simple rule.
    Well I DID stick to the rule, but it was still rejected anyways...Suppose I'll read your guys' submissions anyways

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Perhaps we should discount votes made for yourself. Either that or we all do it so it makes no difference, and that is 3 out of 5 already so i will also.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Yes, I agree. The 2-vote system was redundant 1 of those votes would always go to the voter's own submission. I assume the change was made to "skip" that vote for yourself so that people really do vote for what they think to be the best submission.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    You can vote for your own submission, but it is n' t encouraged.

Also 2 submissions have been rejected by me. I say it here before every one starts screaming murder. The reason why they are rejected is in the submissions thread tale of the week 48.
    I really liked my story this week. I liked that picture few weeks ago when I voted for it. I don't think I failed the picture with my words, either.

But I wanted to vote for someone else as well. And I couldn't.
    Give us 3 votes per voter, with each vote being a negative vote, which you give to the stories that you do not see deserving to win. Or by percentage of submissions.

Now, I don't get the last line about the rejected stories. I checked submission thread, but I didn;t see what's happened?

One negative vote for this voting system.

Well 2 stories crossed the 500 word limit.

1 story crossed the 500 word limit. Mine was 497 words, but with my opening comment (which was never supposed to be counted as part of the submission) and the "Spoiler alert" it was 508.
    Last edited by Benz282; July 13, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Sorry to tell you this but it wasn't.
    I copied your text into 'Word' and it were 507 words. (508 if you include the title)

You copied what was in the spoiler only?

Yeah, not the 'here it is thingy', only what was contained into the spoiler.

Wow. I apologize. I truly thought it was under 500, but apparently the program I write in has a buggy word-count feature. Still, that doesn't excuse the I made of myself. Please forgive me, everyone.

On a different note, I voted. Great stories.

No worries.
    It's not like you went on a crazy rant trip.

I need to vote for my own now just to even it out and make it a fair contest. Oh well I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast