Thread: Gather around the campfire for an other... - Tale of The Week 49

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Gather around the campfire for an other... - Tale of The Week 49

IMPORTANT FOR ALL CONTESTANTS
    It has come to my attention that some of you still have problems with the word limits that where set up for this competition. I will check all entries personally to see that no one violates this rule. Contestants who violate this simple rule will be disqualified.

1. Post a short text about this picture, with min. 200 max. 500 words, in a spoiler.
    Learn rule one by heart guys. No more violation will be tolerated.

Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.

- Gaius Julius Caesar -

RULES :

1. Post a short text about this picture, with min. 200 max. 500 words, in a spoiler.
    2. If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.

3. The winner gets 1 point on the Leaderboard, if there are at least 4 contestants.

4. Deadline: last day of each week (Sunday).
    Last edited by molls; July 15, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Default Re: Gather around the campfire for an other... - Tale of The Week 49

resereved

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Following orders

The enemy was large in numbers, we where surrounded by Romans. We are Frankish Nobles, with our long blades we cut our enemy to pieces.

General Hutz: Frankish soldiers we will defeat the Romans here and now, their empire is on the edge of collapse, the are weakened.
    Follow me and listen to my orders and we will win. Men shooting, Hutz, Hutz ...

The Romans stood ready and waited on the enemy to come, the Frankish didn't wait but marched to the place where the enemy would be.

General flavinus Brodus: Men defenders of Rome and the our emperor! We will keep those barbarians at bay we will stop them here on this day! Roma Victoria!! "Men felt eager and shoot Brodus, Brodus, we fight for Brodus!!!!"

The clouds kept the sun away, it was raining and it was cold dark weather. But we where warmed by our brothers our graves and gauntlets
    and leather kept the cold wind at bay.

General Hutz: Frankish Nobles I want you to direct attack them at the front of their battle line, make sure their legion are death. And now attack! Yes general, "our captain told him with a serious face."

Our unit soldiers armed with long swords charge down on the enemy without fear and doubt.

General flavinus Brodus: What do they do, stop them archers fire, fire now, legions form a double line! Don't let them come trough.

Battle had begone, and it took a complete day before it was over, no one could say who won. Because of both sites all men had died or where bleeding to death. The leaders of both armies: Hutz and Brodus run in shame for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by webMaster412160; July 19, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Expendable
    Standing at the front, listening to the arrows flying...
    Standing at the front, seeing men crying...
    Standing at the front, where cowards are not welcome...
    Standing at the front, where we will not return from...
    Shields and spears, facing the enemy.
    Fear fading from me.
    Here I come, dear foe
    Here I come, steady and slow.
    Marching down the hill,
    I felt ill...
    I fell as an arrow hit me,
    My foe, I will find thee.
    Sent at the front
    I felt like a grunt...
    Expendable in nature...
    Imminent danger...
    Here he comes, to fight me I wager.
    I stood up and grabbed my sword,
    It felt as I was holding a glacier...
    I looked back at the man I adored,
    On horseback,
    It's his steps I wanted to track...
    I charged forth, fighting in his name...
    It is my will he learned to tame.
    He sent me ahead, expendable in nature...
    He held the answer...
    The axe, where it came from?
    I may never know...
    I fell to the ground, felt so calm...
    I felt the ground as it hit my torso...
    The muddy ground, drenched with blood, dirtied my face...
    My heart beat at a steady pace...
    I look at him, the man I adore...
    Here he was, the man I abhor...
    Sent me to my death...
    Sent me to my doom...
    Here I was, here was my path...
    I wanted to bloom...
    I was too young to die...
    Yet, my end was nigh.
    Expendable, I was.
    Expendable, I remain.
    A wild animal gnaws...
    My flesh rotten, was I insane?
    No... That pleasure would not be given...
    Not to me...
    As my eyes darken...
    I hold the key...
    To my own misery...

Last edited by Nazgūl Killer; July 18, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Viking Blood

My feet sunk deep into the mud at the beach of Scarborough,
    still I was glad to feel the ground after the long sea journey we took from my home country of Norway.
    We had come to challenge to English on their own grounds for our King demanded this of us.
    The gods were not working with us though, dark clouds were gathering above us and it was clear a storm was closing in.
    But no storm strong as it may become would stop us.

After a few hours scouts came back with the report that an army was marching our way. The English knew of our invasion plans already.
    Our general ordered us to set up rank on a nearby hill. We would wait for them and use the terrain to our benefit.
    It took 3 more hours of waiting under the dark clouds before the English army could finally be seen arriving at the horizon.

They were numerous and well armed, a professional army of which we had heard stories of as a child by the fire before going to sleep.
    But no army, no matter how well trained would stand up to the fierceness of our Scandinavian blood, the blood of Vikings that ran through our veins.
    Today would be the day of our greatest victory, the beginning of the Norwegian dominance over England and the first step to the conquering of the world.

So it had begun, storming towards the lines of our enemy, FOR NORWAY!!
    Last edited by Ratbag; July 19, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Hmmm... v. difficult, but I guess... reserved!

P.S. I said Reservado a few times, now I see other people doing it - is it just a coincidence, or is it (subconcious) copy - would be funny!
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Rezervisano. HAH!

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

I just said it because it sounded sorta Italian, but hey!
    Must go look up Reserved in Gaelic...
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

The Charge - a Soldier's Account

Conflict. War. Victory. Casualties. Words often bandied around by those who have no intimacy with them. No concept of their meaning. Because, my friends, you cannot understand, envision or even hope to conceive the experience. The battlefield is a terrible place - your very soul is ripped apart by what you witness.
    The shouting, the clang of metal on metal, the screams of the dying and the sapid, metallic tang of blood on your lips.

I am a soldier, a warrior, a defender of my country and a hero. I have taken the lives of more men than i care to count, but i have seen things. Children murdered, young women violated, men using their own limbs as clubs in last desperate attempts to surivive... all of these give me horrific nightmares. But i am not evil, though i have done evil. Achilles favours the strong, and i do only what i must. I risk death, but He protects me and while i have his blessing i am immortal in battle.

For though i have seen the worst sights that ever human eyes have looked upon, i go back into the arena, the sanguinary domain of the sword and spear and javelin, with pleasure. Why? Because, my friends, i am drawn to it. It delights me and fills me with a thrill, an electrifying urge. The charge is the apex. As i raise my sword, and join the rising battlecry, and sprint forward at the enemy, i feel alive.

Last edited by Copperknickers II; July 19, 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Bloody Evening
    A warriors story

Dirt, blood, sweat, crap. It was all on me. My comrades roared to keep moving as I ran. It was no real organized charge. We simply ran. The Romans stood close enough, we...we knew that it would not be an easy fight. Hell we did not expect to even make it to their damned square shields. I kept moving, my legs felt like branches under the weight of a tree. I was tired, wet, weak. I could'nt stop. I would be stabbed or trampled. So I ran. It must have been a few more minuets before the Romans through their javelins. Pili...pilii...ah, I can't remember what the heck it was called. They through the bastards and they pierced our shields. Not mine luckily. But old Taratorix was not so lucky. Got a...whatever...right in his eye. He called my name. He asked for my help. But I did'nt listen...why not? He was trampled no doubt. Dead by his friend's foot. Oh well. Nothing I could do. I kept moving.

Gods this his felt like forever. As I ran the Romans began to materialize. They shouted in their strange language and threw another volley of javelins. Another paltry dea...AGH! I was hit. One of those....ah screw it....one of those javelin thingies got me right in the chest. The army kept charging, if you could call it an army. And me...I just sat still. I just sat in the dirt, the blood, the sweat and the crap. It was remarkable I wasn't stepped on. But soon the battle began. Screams, death, murder. It all happened so fast. I just lie still. Clutching my side. I knew the Romans had one when I saw one walk up to me. I raised my hand in peace. "Please Roman!" I said, "Please have mery!" The Roman took his Gladius and raised it he brought it down har...AGH! He didn't kill me though. I survived. I survived and guess what...I am a slave. Why oh why was I present on that bloody evening.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "