Thread: Is scabbard on the left side correct for late roman era?

Default Is scabbard on the left side correct for late roman era?

I noticed that the models of comitatenses and other legionaries have their sword scabbards hanging on the left side in the medieval fashion. I don't know if this is correct for the late roman era, but during the prinicpate (and I suppose, the late Republic at least) the sword was carried on the right side.

This was because the legions went into battle wielding their pila, not their gladiuses. These were drawn only after the pila were thrown, ie immediately before joining close quarters with their enemies. This meant that the legionaries had their shields raised, and would have risked cutting their shield arms with their swords had they been drawn from a scabbard hangning on the left side. Instead the gladius hung on the right and was drawn with a flick of the wrist, ending in an immediate thrust.

With the adoption of the longer spatha, this might not have been possible any more, leading to the sword being worn on the left hip. I don't know.

Does anyone?

Default Re: Is scabbard on the left side correct for late roman era?

Yep. Republic and Principate: Gladius to the right. Late Empire: Spatha to the left.

Art by Joar