Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1066: The battle for middle earth

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default 1066: The battle for middle earth

Just thought i'd share this with anyone who hasn't seen it yet. One of the best i've seen. Sad too, makes you hate the Normans, especially at the end when it says how the king probably died. I can see why the Orcs of lord of the rings where named after them

Battle of Fulford:

Battle of Stamford Bridge:

Battle of Hastings:

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: 1066: The battle for middle earth

It didn't make me hate the Normans. I already hated them before I watched it

It was good. I like the way they used the original tongues but then switched to English after you got used to it - bit like they did in 13th Warrior.

The only complaint I had about it was that sometimes they focused too much on the villagers involved in the events and it made you lose a sense of the whole army sometimes. But this is a minor complaint. It really was very good and - surprisingly these days - pro-English.

I had to laugh in the closing textual comments (not on the Youtube vids) when it said - almost to back-up the insult - something along the lines of "even to this day about a fifth of Britain is owned by the descendants of those Normans". lol.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    It didn't make me hate the Normans. I already hated them before I watched it
    You've never said anything more true!

that was a good program though battle for middle earth i think it was called it had a good story of battles, history and death maybe battlescould have been bigger scale

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Normans are nasty

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Maybe I should set up another Resource And Development Alliance on ModRealms.com to complement ADDAM...

How about Alliance for the Development of Anglophilic Mods that Depict All Normans as Darn 'Orrible Guys? (ADAMDANDOG)?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Maybe I should set up another Resource And Development Alliance on ModRealms.com to complement ADDAM...

How about Alliance for the Development of Anglophilic Mods that Depict All Normans as Darn 'Orrible Guys? (ADAMDANDOG)?
    I think that would draw everyone .

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

am i the only one who thought these were totally awesome?
    You look great today.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

It was good and i liked the clothing and armour, didn't like the night battle. It was a bit weird in dark age nightvision. Hastings wasn't as good because it wasn't big enough, it felt like a small battle rather then a large one. The rest was cool though.

Edit:
    And i've always hated the normans i'm irish after all.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    And i've always hated the normans
    Don't we all...

no actually i like the Normans and only hated the main leaders like the one who sent the guy to the 1 on 1 fight

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Nakharar View Post
    no actually i like the Normans and only hated the main leaders like the one who sent the guy to the 1 on 1 fight
    The guy who went into the 1 on 1 fight was a Breton forced into joining the Normans at Hastings...

anyway apart from the hugely small scale battles it was very good, looking at all 3 sides including their families, lives, lifestyles etc etc the small scale really was a shame when it felt like the battles had 30 people in them

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Nakharar View Post
    anyway apart from the hugely small scale battles it was very good, looking at all 3 sides including their families, lives, lifestyles etc etc the small scale really was a shame when it felt like the battles had 30 people in them
    True, you didn't really get the feel of it being anymore than a skirmish. Although it was probably cheaply made, so if they can get away with only 30 people... They would. A bit of a let down there, but compared to most documentary's it was excellent.

Its good to have something other than WW2 or the Romans for once.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

thank god that in His Providence He has provided us with a very English Dynasty in the House of Windsor......."cough"

In fact to be honest, I really felt the same about most of the groups present. The Saxons had had a major presence in Britain after 410, first purely as mercs then raiders, invaders and finally settlers- but it is important to state that on the whole they mainly constituted the aristocracy, the population didn't fundementally shift, we're not talking about colonial displacement.
    The Norwegians had a periphery hold on the British Isles for much of the Viking Age, and while they kept territories in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man for a while afterwards, Harold's claim was not based solely on Cnut's agreement with his English counterpart, he was a strong character and an able warrior.
    Finally, the Normans. William had a right to try to claim the country by force, as Harold had promised to support his claim to the throne on Edward's death, and in 1064 he not only was knighted by William but swore again an oath of allegiance over saint's bones- more or less a contract, though by deception. Harold Godwinson's claim was legitimate- he had both the support of the witanagemot and Edward's final will, but he had to be prepared for the consequences of crossing William and Hadraada.
    The Normans took even less of an interest in the locals ways than the Saxons- doubtless if they had not been converted to catholicism in france then Harold would have had his lungs pulled out over a tree (blood eagle-ok bad joke I know that probably didn't happen) The normans gave us feudalism in it's harshest form, concentrated power in the hands of fewer men and put English lives in jeopardy in expansionist wars that they didn't benefit from. Wine doesn't nearly make up for it, or french root words.
    Last edited by sirfiggin; August 06, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

It was superb for such small scale battles, and I quite enjoyed it
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Good program, but whats with the demonizing of the Normans? The Viking(r)s and Saxons did some pretty nasty stuff too, as bad as anything the Normans did.

Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDe1337 View Post
    Good program, but whats with the demonizing of the Normans? The Viking(r)s and Saxons did some pretty nasty stuff too, as bad as anything the Normans did.
    Yeah but you're ignoring the fact that vikings are cooler than Normans
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus1234 View Post
    Yeah but you're ignoring the fact that vikings are cooler than Normans
    Damn strait

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

@sirfiggin
    The Angles and Saxons fitted together better as rulers/ruled because their root culture was the same whereas the Normans came from an entirely different culture and personally i would count the french thing against them

@CtrlAltDe1337
    I would agree but the normans were more calculating and the theft of gold, land, women, seems less evil then the theft of gold, land, women... when i put it like that there's no difference between the two... only one i can think of is we, the irish, beat the vikings but not the normans
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast