Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage: What do you think?

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Default Gay Marriage: What do you think?

What are peoples' thoughts on this? me, I am indifferent; given that they can have the equivalent rigfhts in England with a civil union, as far as I know, and given I'm hetero, it doesn't affect me. But I wonder what people mthink of the issue...

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

It doesn't affect me, so I have no problem with it.

gdm3's Avatar Civis

My stand is if they want to get married let them I don't really care.

Wicked's Avatar Mike Hunt

Let 'em, we are supposedly free, therefore, there *should* be no laws barring gay marriage...

I'm not "Mr. Gay '05"...in fact I'm not even gay, so far as I know... but it seems extremely stupid to deny the right to marriage to two people who desire it, to be frank, I see more of my gay friends, both male & female, mature & financially secure enough for marriage, then I see straight friends.

As for kids being an argument, no problem there either, I see roughly the same desire for children among contemporary gay friends as I do among contemporary straight ones...in case you haven't figured it out yet...no personal prob with them adopting/other methods...

And this is from me, not exactly "Mr. PC"...but I find it a bit hard to deny that right, maybe because I have several gay friends, but I'd like to think it is common sense too...
    Client of Marshal Qin.

"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
    Bear not my body home,
    For all the earth is Roman earth,
    And I shall die in Rome." - G. K. Chesterton.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I think the church may do what they want but the state should be able to marry them and give them the rights of a married couple.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by TB666
    I think the church may do what they want but the state should be able to marry them and give them the rights of a married couple.
    Separation of church and state, and all that...

There is no reason for gay couples to be prevented from having a civil union.
    I just hope if/when happens, it will be federally approved legislation.

The whole idea that we're even discussing it is absurd. Of course they should be able to get married, it doesnt effect or harm anyone so why should anyone even care what others do with their lives. They pay taxes just like everyone else right? So they deserve the same rights and privileges as everyone else.

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

Indefinitely Banned

They definitely should be allowed to get married. I dont see why anyone should care about it. Its like the homophobes think that if they cant marry they will just disappear. They are still gay if they arent married. It is illegal to keep them from getting married anyways for many reasons. A lot of the christian right guys who crusade against them turn out to be gay anyways. (I cant remember specific people but i remember at least 3 recent cases where they were caught doing things like talking on gay chat rooms and calling gay sex talk things on the phone.

I don't care if homosexuals wish to join in a civil union sanctioned by the government, but churches should be free to discriminate against gays as is their right. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions is a much more acceptable term for me. Some gays are fine with this, for it grants them equal protection under the law. Others are stubborn about getting the term "marriage", for this would place the stamp of approval on an act the majority of Americans disagree with.

Its just another example of minorities fighting for symbolism over substance.

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Nationalist_Cause
    I don't care if homosexuals wish to join in a civil union sanctioned by the government, but churches should be free to discriminate against gays as is their right. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Civil unions is a much more acceptable term for me. Some gays are fine with this, for it grants them equal protection under the law. Others are stubborn about getting the term "marriage", for this would place the stamp of approval on an act the majority of Americans disagree with.

Its just another example of minorities fighting for symbolism over substance.
    The Majority of americans had no problem with discrimination against blacks before the Civil Rights Movement, now did they? Honestly, if there's one thing we all should have learned from that it is this: Don't push minorities too hard, because they'll push back and **** things over for you. ala Affirmative Action.

Now, I'm not gay. In fact, the very idea of homosexuality makes me want to vomit all over the floor. It's against everything that I am, in terms of sexuality. However, there is one thing that bothers me a hell of a lot more, and that's the church putting it's bloody nose in everyone's business. I'm absolutely indifferent to other people being gay, but I'm all for Gay Rights just to remind Christianity that it should stay out of politics and in the Church-House.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    The Majority of americans had no problem with discrimination against blacks before the Civil Rights Movement, now did they? Honestly, if there's one thing we all should have learned from that it is this: Don't push minorities too hard, because they'll push back and **** things over for you. ala Affirmative Action.

Now, I'm not gay. In fact, the very idea of homosexuality makes me want to vomit all over the floor. It's against everything that I am, in terms of sexuality. However, there is one thing that bothers me a hell of a lot more, and that's the church putting it's bloody nose in everyone's business. I'm absolutely indifferent to other people being gay, but I'm all for Gay Rights just to remind Christianity that it should stay out of politics and in the Church-House.
    Cube, you and I don't disagree often. I don't think homosexual relationships should be banned. I just think it is wrong to give it the same name as a heterosexual marriage. It just isn't the same thing. Perhaps the most important aspect of marriage is to replenish and spread the human race. Homosexual relationships / marriages cannot make that happen without the aid of sperm or egg donors. I say, give the relationship legal recognition by the government, but don't call two completely different things the same name.

Cube, you and I don't disagree often. I don't think homosexual relationships should be banned. I just think it is wrong to give it the same name as a heterosexual marriage. It just isn't the same thing. Perhaps the most important aspect of marriage is to replenish and spread the human race. Homosexual relationships / marriages cannot make that happen without the aid of sperm or egg donors. I say, give the relationship legal recognition by the government, but don't call two completely different things the same name.
    Oh, the naming deal. That's so unimportant to me that I actually overlooked that that was the issue you had a problem with Personally I don't think a marriage in the eyes of "god" should grant you anything by the state, simply by virtue of it being a religious ceremony. IMO, you should get married in the "Eyes of God" and then go get the Civil Union papers, it being two entirely seperate processes.

I know I'm probably being a prickly pete, but my agenda is not Pro-Gay, it's Anti-Religious.

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

There's a lot of heterosexual married couples who can't have children without someone elses sperm or egg donors. There's a lot of heterosexual married couples who just plain don't want kids. should we call that something other than marriage? I'm straight, but I have a few friends who are gay, two of which would get married if they could. It's just a shame that people define marriage strictly as a man-to-woman thing instead of a love-to-love thing.

Marriage is many things, and the state shouldn't step in and tell churches who they can and can't marry. I'm proud to say that my church performed gay unions (maybe marriages, I don't know about that though) before it was outlawed, I only hope this wave of anti-gay stuff passes sooner than later. I'll guarantee the barrier will be broken, just a matter of time - the bigots will lose their voices.

"just to remind Christianity that it should stay out of politics and in the Church-House"

Firstly the Church is against gay marriage because the church does not believe in it, it is their religion that says it is wrong. So you can not say "**** off church!!", just like you can not say "**** off you nazi bastard" or "**** off you jew!!" because the church believes in what they are doing and in american you can lobby for what you think is right and what you think is agianst something you think is wrong. And Marriage is a religious action, even though now it is not considered so anymore but marriage is a consent of god, if God was not in the marriage you would not have marriage you would have partnerships like you do in trible villages around the world. So it is wrong to have gay/lesbian done by religouse people and if they dont you say "the catholic church is against us!!". Also I think that gay/lesbians should not have children, it gives the message that says "even if you were not born gay it does not matter who I sleep or marry to". I really dont care if Gays/Lesbians are doing eachother or want to spent the rest of their lives with each other, just dont get Married because christians find it offencive what they have proclaimed to god that they are married and you have a gay couple having the same status.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigran of Sasoun
    "just to remind Christianity that it should stay out of politics and in the Church-House"

Firstly the Church is against gay marriage because the church does not believe in it, it is their religion that says it is wrong. So you can not say "**** off church!!", just like you can not say "**** off you nazi bastard" or "**** off you jew!!" because the church believes in what they are doing and in american you can lobby for what you think is right and what you think is agianst something you think is wrong. And Marriage is a religious action, even though now it is not considered so anymore but marriage is a consent of god, if God was not in the marriage you would not have marriage you would have partnerships like you do in trible villages around the world. So it is wrong to have gay/lesbian done by religouse people and if they dont you say "the catholic church is against us!!". Also I think that gay/lesbians should not have children, it gives the message that says "even if you were not born gay it does not matter who I sleep or marry to". I really dont care if Gays/Lesbians are doing eachother or want to spent the rest of their lives with each other, just dont get Married because christians find it offencive what they have proclaimed to god that they are married and you have a gay couple having the same status.
    Need I paraphrase the constitution? "Congress shall not make any law respecting an establishment of religion."

If banning gay marriage on the premise that it offends christians isn't making a law that respects and establishment of religion, then the Taliban was athiest.

P.S. if you respond to this, please use punctuation. I almost didnt respond because I could barely read your post. Not mean to insult, I just like to know more clearly what I'm arguing against.

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

the church? don't speak for all christians here, buddy, a lot of them won't agree with you.

Edit: and if it bothers you that gay/lesbian marriages would have the same status as heterosexual marriages, then ignore that! Don't Catholics believe in judgement after death? You'll be fine

"I'm proud to say that my church performed gay unions"

This is what i dont understand a Church is a place for Christians and a place where gods spirit should heal you from sin and everything else. And it is clearly righten in the bible that being gay is wrong!. So how can you get upset if they people get upset if a church does not marry you???. And how can a Church be a Church if it does not follow the words of what they teach and bend to the will of the people??. You say no Church in government, but when they need the church they must have it for their purpose!.

"I'm proud to say that my church performed gay unions"

This is what i dont understand a Church is a place for Christians and a place where gods spirit should heal you from sin and everything else. And it is clearly righten in the bible that being gay is wrong!. So how can you get upset if they people get upset if a church does not marry you???. And how can a Church be a Church if it does not follow the words of what they teach and bend to the will of the people??. You say no Church in government, but when they need the church they must have it for their purpose!.
    I don't say no Church in Government.. the Constitution does Sorry pal.

"the church? don't speak for all christians here, buddy, a lot of them won't agree with you"

How can u be a christian if you do not follow the teachings??? How can u respect a Church that is supposed to teach when they do agaisnt god?? a church is nothing without the teaching it would just be a building that some guy talks at about what he thinks, and what he thinks should be allowed anbd not allowed.

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast