Thread: District 9

manofarms89's Avatar Senator
    La Puente, California, United States of America

Default District 9

this movie looks awesomely epic. i for one think premise is genius.

District 9 is based on Alive in Joburg, a short film directed by Neill Blomkamp, Sharlto Copley, Simon Hansen and Shanon Worley. Copley also portrayed one of the interviewed policemen. The short film is about aliens landing in South Africa and becoming confined to a specific area and forced to work. In the movie these aliens are called "Non-Humans" and are overseen by Multi-National United (MNU), a company which is utilizing alien technology. When Dirk Michaels, a soldier working for MNU, mutates into a half human and half "Non-Human" after opening a strange tube he finds in District 9, he becomes a wanted man on both sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZnpzfcMheA

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: District 9

This suppose to be symbolic of inter ethnic breeding among first and third world countries?

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

well i think its no accident that the move takes place in early 90s south africa

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Yeah this movie looks pretty interesting.....I'm not too thrilled about the aliens looking like giant grasshoppers though...I hate GIANT bugs...

Also, this was weird, but does anyone recall seeing two different trailers for this film with only the slightest change? I recall going to see The Hangover about 2 - 3 weeks ago and they ran this preview...however the portion where the guy is interviewing the alien shows the alien's face blurred out (Cops style). Then about a week ago I went to see Year One and the same preview played but did not have the blur - odd.

Also, is this film supposed to be shot "Cloverfield/Quarantine" style the whole time? It looks like it from the preview
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Yeah this movie looks pretty interesting.....I'm not too thrilled about the aliens looking like giant grasshoppers though...I hate GIANT bugs...
    yea it their mouths look really creepy.

Also, this was weird, but does anyone recall seeing two different trailers for this film with only the slightest change? I recall going to see The Hangover about 2 - 3 weeks ago and they ran this preview...however the portion where the guy is interviewing the alien shows the alien's face blurred out (Cops style). Then about a week ago I went to see Year One and the same preview played but did not have the blur - odd.
    i think ive seen both, the one i posted features the blurry alien.
    Also, is this film supposed to be shot "Cloverfield/Quarantine" style the whole time? It looks like it from the preview
    it seems films shot in this style are growing in popularity.

well its not as though this thread was already posted a few weeks back .

anyways ill post it again: this is the movie short that distict 9 is based off of. It will give you the basics of what the movie will look like.

EmperorJulian's Avatar Civitate

You know this movie does look very interesting, and not entirely unrealistic. However I do have some fairly deep reservations about it. After having done some research, I'm finding a high degree of probability that this film is going to be little more than a lengthy parable with the message being "Apartheid was bad mmkay!" I might be wrong here, in fact I hope I'm wrong. I like good sci-fi and really that's one genre that doesn't seem to hit on all cylinders when it comes to Hollywood. Still, I also don't need a morality lesson as to why institutionalized racism is a bad thing. I'm going to keep an eye on this film leading up to the release date and hopefully there will be more to it (story wise) then what I'm seeing now.
    Under the Patronage of Valus the Indefatigable.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Looks cool. I like films like this.
    Also, the best trailer is the one without the blur, which also has a subtitled translation of what the alien says. It's really, really ing chilling.

whats cool about this movie is that the aliens are in fact taking over, but their doing it in a passive way much like mexican immigration. They except human authority to a degree and move in taking resources and procreating until the native populations become displaced. They are like high tech locusts.

Quote Originally Posted by scheuch13 View Post
    whats cool about this movie is that the aliens are in fact taking over, but their doing it in a passive way much like mexican immigration. They except human authority to a degree and move in taking resources and procreating until the native populations become displaced. They are like high tech locusts.
    i hope your comparing the aliens in the film to locusts and not Mexicans

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by manofarms89 View Post
    i hope your comparing the aliens in the film to locusts and not Mexicans
    Well, he kinda did say locusts. So, yeah...

Sebdeas's Avatar Senator

could be the greatest sci fi of all time right up there with 2001 :X

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

I wouldn't think that. Looks interesting but I have some doubts about it. I hope it's good, I really want to see it, haven't seen any movies this year yet. It does seem it's probably got some kind of preachy method and air about the movie. Also, the kind of filming(special effects I guess) that people like to use now just seems really weird to me.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Yeah right when I saw that trailer I knew it was going to be epic. BUT I dont like the commercials they have been showing on tv if anyone has seen them lately, they make the movie look cheap and more of a comedy which I hate. Who knows if it will be one of the best or one of the worst but it looks top tennish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Well, he kinda did say locusts. So, yeah...
    yeah but still (sorry i don't have a link )