Thread: 0 turn recruitment to 1 turn

Default 0 turn recruitment to 1 turn

I love the 0 turn recruitment but i was just wondering if it could be harder to get better units. for example make all legionary cohorts 1 turn and auxila 0 turn and vice verca for all other faction equivilants. Or would this just make the AI recruit the bad 0 turn units all the time?

Default Re: 0 turn recruitment to 1 turn

i think you have answerd your own question, with the dilemma you will always face when you give the AI that sort of choice
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Yeah, I like 0 turn recruitement! It's useful, in Roma Surrectum 1.5! Most troops per 0 turn. Some units 1 turn. Elite troops 2 turns. That's really fair and give's us a feeling, of the difference of light infantry/militia and elite troops. Also is it more realism having more simple troops on field then elite troops.
    Developer of Rising Sumer
    Beta-tester for ChC; Mapper of Colonialism-TW;

But on the other hand, you can be sure to face countless stacks of AI armies later on in the campaign. That's why I want to experiment with the My EDU - 3x Costs, 2x Maintenance for Units sub-mod
    because fighting 10 battles each turn can become really irritating Moreover, you can forget to invade an AI empire, when you turn off the FoW and see 50+ full stacks just waitng to attack anyone (you).
    P.S. But still, RS is a kick-ass mod.
    I'm sittin' here completely surrounded by no beer.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I guess it just depends on what you like. I had just the experience you mention playing the Romans for the only time in RS1.5. I had taken Gaul, Spain, Carthage and Greece, and turned my attention to the east for the first time. I assembled 8 Legions for the invasion of Anatolia...brought them to Constantinople, and then, just out of curiosity, turned off FOW ot see what I would face. Pergamon and Parthia had wasted the Far East and 50+ full stack armies were just itching for a fight. A lot of people see this and think.."Oh,that's just not right!". I, on the otherhand, was overjoyed! It took fifty years and countless battles and reinforcements to finally subdue Pergamon...with Parthia just waiting for it's chance. Great fun!

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I love the 0 turn recruitment but i was just wondering if it could be harder to get better units. for example make all legionary cohorts 1 turn and auxila 0 turn and vice verca for all other faction equivilants. Or would this just make the AI recruit the bad 0 turn units all the time?
    I suggest if you want larger battles more often, where it would literally take you decades to subdue an enemy because of how many armies they have, then go ahead with 0-turn recruitment. Word to the wise, don't be surprised if you see other nations begin to steamroll over each opponent they fight due to sheer weight of numbers, because you may eventually have to fight an enemy that has 30, 40, 50+ full stack armies, as DVK did in his campaign.

If you want something a little more moderately paced, then use 1-turn recruitment. That way, if you fight larger battles, they're most often decisive and the enemy may not (and I say that with caution) have the strength to fully recover after that blow. Enemies will, possibly, use strategy to weigh their options about making war with certain nations, contrary to sending stack after stack as they would with 0-turn recruitment.

It's all about your play style, and whether 0-turn or 1-turn recruitment is best for you.

I agree, if you want to fight on the battlefield as Caesar or Hannibal use 0-turn recruitment. Instead, if you want more time for strategy change to 1-turn.
    Tito Labieno
    - Legatum Propraetore -
    "De Labieni mira virtute victoriaque" - De Bello Gallico LIBER SEPTIMUS LXII.

Quote Originally Posted by tito labieno View Post
    I agree, if you want to fight on the battlefield as Caesar or Hannibal use 0-turn recruitment. Instead, if you want more time for strategy change to 1-turn.
    Nicely put.

Total War Veteran

I guess, I am on "0-turn" - can I change to "1-turn" during the game and how?

I like to play with more strategic considerations.

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Yes you can change 0 to 1 turn recruitment in a campaign with the batch file in the important stuff folder (don't forget to switch the text files as well), though if this was properly tested I have no clue.
    Last edited by Scipio praeditus; July 16, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Look in the _important_stuff folder and you will see a folder named:

recruitment

In that folder are the two options. Just copy the files out of whichever one you want into the 'data' folder.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

DVK - the important_stuff folder is in the data folder.
    I took both "option_0" folder out to desktop and left only the two "option_1", but still the game is loading with the "0" option, even a new game.

What's wrong?

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

If I remember correctly there was a batch file for each choice that had to be activated to integrate the switched text files, though reading DVK's comment i'm not so sure anymore.
    Seeing as I don't have RS installed anymore in anticipation of RS2 (for at least the last year now), I can't go and check, but if there is anything other than a text file in there activate it and it should work.

try reinstalling one of the patches and i think you will get a choice menu - although now that i think of it i think that was another MOD, i will look later when i get in as i have two versions of RS on my game system

Total War Veteran

Thank you, I solved my problem by following dvk's instructions.

sorted then

Total War Veteran