Thread: CTD: Phantom Unit Bug?

Default CTD: Phantom Unit Bug?

Just had a weird CTD in my Swedish Campaign.

I decided to move a Reserve battalion to garrison the port at Staraya Ladoga in Ingria. The port had previously been raided by the Russians and I figured a garrison might dissuade them form doing it again. However, as the battalion approached the port it was intercepted by a full strength Russian Line Battalion which just happened to be marching north along the Velikiy Novogrod to Petrovskaya Slaboda Road. Rather than pitch my militia against a regular battalion I evaded the combat and instead marched two provincial line regiments to the port instead.

This time the Russian Battalion allowed them to reach the port unmolested, but with a 2 to 1 advantage I figured I might as well take attack and drive the Russian Regiment off. So, I initiated a Barry Lyden style battle of no importance along a nameless peice of road.

The battle opened and my two regiments advanced boldly on the Russian battalion managing to find a useful looking wall to deploy behind and forcing the Russians to deploy in an open field to face them. The Russians fire their first volley and a few of my men dropped, THEN I suddenly found myself staring at Mod Manager on the desktop screen.

No problemo, I thought. I'd saved the game just before I began moving my troops, so I switched off all my Mods except TROM, reloaded and moved my two provincial line regiments east to re-initiate the battle.

But the Russian Regiment was no longer there it had apparently dissappeared....WTF?

Default Re: CTD: Phantom Unit Bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Just had a weird CTD in my Swedish Campaign.

I decided to move a Reserve battalion to garrison the port at Staraya Ladoga in Ingria. The port had previously been raided by the Russians and I figured a garrison might dissuade them form doing it again. However, as the battalion approached the port it was intercepted by a full strength Russian Line Battalion which just happened to be marching north along the Velikiy Novogrod to Petrovskaya Slaboda Road. Rather than pitch my militia against a regular battalion I evaded the combat and instead marched two provincial line regiments to the port instead.

This time the Russian Battalion allowed them to reach the port unmolested, but with a 2 to 1 advantage I figured I might as well take attack and drive the Russian Regiment off. So, I initiated a Barry Lyden style battle of no importance along a nameless peice of road.

The battle opened and my two regiments advanced boldly on the Russian battalion managing to find a useful looking wall to deploy behind and forcing the Russians to deploy in an open field to face them. The Russians fire their first volley and a few of my men dropped, THEN I suddenly found myself staring at Mod Manager on the desktop screen.

No problemo, I thought. I'd saved the game just before I began moving my troops, so I switched off all my Mods except TROM, reloaded and moved my two provincial line regiments east to re-initiate the battle.

But the Russian Regiment was no longer there it had apparently dissappeared....WTF?

thats why i don,t use mods......i think 90% of the problems people have are with mods,thats my opinion,plus i doubt you can stop the mods and carry on,i would think it would mess up the save,anyway hope you get it sorted.

I my opinon this game isn't worth playing without the Mods, so I don't really have a choice.

Its not that difficult to work out which Mod conflicts are creating a problem if any, and I've actually had far fewer CTD's since I started using them than I did before.

Rotaugen2009's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by centurie View Post
    thats why i don,t use mods......i think 90% of the problems people have are with mods,thats my opinion,plus i doubt you can stop the mods and carry on,i would think it would mess up the save,anyway hope you get it sorted.
    I use mods on my main desktop computer, the one that I like to take screenshots with. I haven't really noticed a big difference in CTDs or any other problems between it and the other 3 computers that I run ETW on. If I know a big update is coming, I have fast enough internet that its worth it to me to simply delete everything and redownload the entire thing to avoid any conflicts until the mods are compatable with the new version. This works well for me, but if you have a slower internet connection or the Steam servers in your area are slow, this isn't a great option.

I've never seen the phantom unit bug though. If you figure out what is going on with it, I'd like to hear about that.

I am another without any mods and I seem to find my far share of bugs/ctd's ,strangely even more since the latest update

Kyias's Avatar Semisalis

I use no mods, and I get some serious CTD issues when I have my full stack army attacking another full stack.

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

Moved to the Technical Support subforum.
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
    I use no mods, and I get some serious CTD issues when I have my full stack army attacking another full stack.
    The fact that you are struggling with full stack against full stack implies that your graphics card is struggling with what you are asking of it.

I've been playing an unmodded ETW with a 9800GX2 card on high settings (unit size on Ultra) at 1920x1200 and get no CTDs.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

why only high settings or if you put on ultra you get ctd ? I have 9800gt and put almost everything on ultra seems fine no CTD yet

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by abc1 View Post
    why only high settings or if you put on ultra you get ctd ? I have 9800gt and put almost everything on ultra seems fine no CTD yet
    It slows the game down, basically. My 'out of action' PC (Quad Core, 8GB RAM and two GTX280s in SLI) runs everything on Ultra - I miss that.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here