Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [AAR] The Mere Scum Of The Earth.

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default [AAR] The Mere Scum Of The Earth.

Hi all.. Heres the first post of my first AAR lol so be gentle as I dont really know what the hell I am doing lol...
    Um it may look a bit choppy at first as I dont really know how to use this forum to its full abilities... But I do hope to get better... Anyway Enjoy...

THE MERE SCUM OF THE EARTH - A British AAR

Introduction: A Solider Born
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was cold, cold this morning as I brushed off the hay in which I had spent the night. I must be away from this place before any of the farm labourers came I thought to myself dreading the fact that I don’t have a home. I have been wondering… From town to town these past few months… Running escaping evading from my past… A past I left in the rookery... A past I’d soon forget.

The air was warming outside the barn as I set off across the fields of the middle lands, I hoped to reach Birmingham this evening a place where I could perhaps steal some guineas from some damn aristocrat in order to get a bed for the night (but most likely some cheap gin) it wasn’t too far now I thought to myself although I had never been there. As I walked I began to enter a small satellite town which seemed to be having a county fair in the square. Curious I stopped to have a look at the wares and entertainments of the fair.

“YOU THERE!!!!” I jumped…. “YOU LOOK LIKE A STRONG YOUNG MAN!!!” I spun around to see an aged old sergeant walking towards me though a crowd. He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards an open space in front of the crowd… “THESE ARE THE KIND OF MEN WE NEED!!” He continued to proclaim in his sergeants bellowing voice... He then turned to me “YOU WANT ADVENTURE BOY? YOU WANT A BED AT NIGHT? MOST OF ALL DO YOU WANT GOLD???” “JOIN THE ARMY SON… AND ALL THESE THINGS SHALL BE YOURS!!” He let me go and I melted back into a small knot of young men like myself as the sergeant went on to the crowd about the advantages of the army… I had never thought about the army?? But where else would it be better to disappear to than the army I thought as the old sergeant continued to lure more into his little circle.

“I’LL BE AT THE INN…. HAVING ALE… COME JOIN ME TO HEAR MORE… THE KINGS PAYING” he bellowed followed by a hearty laugh, as he flicked a golden guinea into the air and turned off towards the Inn. “Are you going to go” a pale man asked. “I guess so... I could use a drink” I smiled. We headed off to the Inn…

The sergeant wasn’t doing to badly that day, as well as me and the pale man who was named Roger Herman; there were six others who joined us at the sergeants table… Sergeant Horatio sat down beside me pushing me a beer... “Plenty more where that came from son… Tell me where you from lad?” “London” I replied as I gulped down the free beer. “You on the road? Looks like you need a new home” he laughed looking at my rough flea bitten appearance. “I’ll tell you son… The armies the way to go… and they pay you 22pound a year” I was amazed at the sum it sounded like a dream come true for me a boy from the rookery who’s never seen more than a pound in his life. “What your name lad?” he asked “David O’Hagan” I replied meekly as I was feeling out of my depth in this situation. “Sounds Irish?? You ain’t Irish lad?? None of them heathens allowed” He scowled at me aggressively. “No Sir, born and bred in London” “Hmmm well ok lad” Sergeant Horatio said sliding a shilling across the table to me “Take it boy… and join the army” after a moments thought temptation of the coin was too much… I snatched it up…. “Brilliant!!” He proclaimed….

The next morning after spending yet another night in a barn which Sergeant Horatio had hired for the purposes of this recruitment trip, I awoke to the sound of his thunderous voice calling us outside “QUICK NOW LADS YOUR IN THE ARMY NOW!!”

As we stumbled outside he dressed us up into rough untrained ranks... I now noticed Roger Herman was dressed in the redcoat of an Army Corporal, I laughed to myself he was in on it the whole time. A magistrate turned up and we were called up one by one to sign away our life it was soon my turn I walked up and the magistrate said “sign or make your mark at the bottom of the page” I couldn’t read but he pointed to a line at the bottom, I simply put a rough x as my sign… and with that I was in the Army…..

Introduction: Rise Of A Leader

Lord Angus Haven woke with a headache… Like most mornings since King William III stormed into Parliament ordering the arrest of all the high ranking politicians and in the spur of the moment made Angus the new Prime Minister… It was a hard time. Parliament was angry but couldn’t directly challenge the Kings authority, so Angus was getting the brunt of it from all fronts… but he had to remain loyal to his majesty didn’t he?

“My Lord, the Secretary of War is waiting in the parlour” Miss White said through the door. “Ok make sure he’s comfortable and I’ll be with him in a minute” Angus replied pulling on his breeches and grabbing his banyan on his way through the door, Miss White is getting more and more attractive Angus though, he’d have to make more use of her in the future he giggled to himself on the way to the parlour.

“Arh Lord Clarke” Angus said reaching for the Secretary of war hand. “Lord Haven” he replied putting down the paper the head madam provided. Angus sat down as Miss White produced breakfast tea and some scones.
    “So what was this matter you wanted to discuss in private” Angus enquired whilst reaching for some tea.
    “As you know the King demanded the disbandment of all Militia regiments, both foot, pike and horse, in favour of creating a more professional standing army” Lord Clarke stated looking rather disgusted with the idea of the order.
    “Yes well his majesty told me that as a world power our military forces should be the example of quality” Angus replied trying to sound informed on the matter.
    “He has left us undefended!! The training of professional regiments will take months, all the while we are surrounded by growing animosity in our neighbours” Lord Clarke shot back across the room.
    “Britain hasn’t been invaded by a naval force since post patch 1.3, I believe we’ll be perfectly secure for the time being”

The Secretary of War looked puzzled by Lord Haven remark, what was this “post patch 1.3” the Prime Minister was talking about??? He put it off as some inside joke or something.

“I would like you to speak to his majesty on my behalf, maybe you could calm his recent err eccentrics, as you know parliament is furious and you’ve already had to put down one rebellion instigated by fellow members who are not in to inner circle” The Lord asked.
    “I would be weary of the King for awhile. Its seems to me that he’s on a holy mission to glorify the empire” Angus warned back.
    “Hmmm ok well I trust you Lord, on a more business note, you’ll be pleased to know that recruiting is almost but done for the new divisions, as is the undergoing military reform, but alas I must be going thank you for leading me you ear Prime Minister” The Secretary informed whilst standing and reaching for his coat.
    “Any time Lord Clarke let’s see if we can’t all work together to achieve the Kings new visions” Angus said while leading the Secretary of war to the door.

Prime Minister Angus Haven arrived at Whitehall later that day… and quickly headed to his office trying desperately to avoid the scornful eyes of fellow members on the way. Closing the door his sighed at the mountain of paper work that was piled across his oak desk. I must somehow address the blockading of our ports by the French he thought to himself as he sat down. So much to be done but so little money, he’d already closed down the College at Cambridge a week before turning its class rooms into weaving mills to cut out the dreadful cost of running the college and to try pump some extra tax revenue out of that pompous town, which reminded him that Sir Isaac Newton was due to come to see him today, he’d have to find some other use for that Gentlemen till the coffers could afford his expensive school again.

Angus spun around and looked down Whitehall through his window…. “So the King wants Britain to be great… powerful… the pinnacle of the world?? And to do that we need Gold, and lots of it” Angus spoke aloud as he has often done before. He knew his servants thought him to be mad because of his ramblings, but alas that was what the pressures of this job have done to him. “To be great we need money, and to get money we need trade” Angus continued to process all the wants and needs of the Empire in his head. He spun back around quickly and pulled a piece of paper out of his draw…

Dear Lord John Egerton First Lord Of The Admiralty

Please arrange in the utmost haste for Sir John Leakes fleet in the America’s to make sail for England and combine his fleet with that of Sir Edward Russells at Portsmouth. Also please order the construction of 10 new Indiamen trade ships in the ports across Britain. And the upgrading of Portsmouth so that we can add to the combined fleet assembling there.

Present this to the Chancellor of the Exchequer and inform him to make available the sums that are required, spend it wisely Lord Egerton, The King and I will no longer tolerate corruption in this government.

Signed Prime Minister Lord Angus Haven.

Angus summoned a messenger and promptly sent him on his way with the order… “I just hope John’s combined fleet can destroy the pirate fleets” Angus muttered to himself closing the door to his office, he knew that great pirate fleets awaited off most trade theatres, waiting for lush plump merchants.

With that thought still in his head…. Sir Isaac Newton walked in…….

Chapter One: Training

I felt the first touch of snow as we marched northwards, winter had arrived... We have linked up with more fresh recruits from across the mid lands and I found out that we were all off to Fort Sheffield. I was to be posted in Company A, II Battalion of the 2nd Brigade serving under Brigadier General Sir Henri De Massue.

I was near the back of the column as we marched... Fort Sheffield wasn’t much just a wooden fort on the road to York, but it would be my home for many months while the new Brigade was whipped into shape, we were green... everyone... with the disbandment of the old Militia Regiments Britain only had two experienced Line Regiments in the whole Army, and they were deployed overseas, I had overheard this from the few Officers that have been with us on the march, it seemed we really were starting from scratch, with only a few drill sergeants’ brought up from the Horse guards in London.

It was getting late as we arrived, it was better than I imagined it wasn’t just a tiny shack in the middle of nowhere, it seemed like a rather solid well planned Fort that over looked a small hamlet to the east, I liked the look of it was diffidently an improvement on the rookery, this uplifted my spirit and I was resolved to perform well in the Army my new home.

“EACH OF YOU ARE GOING TO REPORT TO THE WARRANT OFFICER” Bellowed Sergeant Carter as we filed through the Forts gate.

We loited around waiting for out name to be called by the clerks, I was examining the fort, there was the strong high wooden walls that were emplaced with cannon, they looked impressive but I wondered how well they would hold up against modern artillery, then again we are in the middle of England I thought pushing the thought to the back of my mind.. Then there was the huge barrack building and the parade ground with the proud Union Jack flying. The barracks looked great; finally I thought a real roof over my head.

“PRIVATE O’HAGAN”

I was startled from my thoughts and made my way through the crowd of rowdy recruits.

“REPORTING SIR” I stated trying to sound like a professional solider that I wasn’t yet.
    “Papers?”

I handed over the few forms I had been given on the march, not knowing what they actually were.

“Ok looks like you be under Captain Hunt, Company A, II Battalion, Sergeant please point the private in the right direction”

I was herded off towards a growing amount of men.....

“LINE UP, COME ON BEST YOU CAN LADS” A Major screamed at us to form a rough line.
    “WHERE TO BE INSPECTED BY THE GENERAL” He went on as were shuffled into line.
    “BATTALION, ATN SHUN!!”

“WELCOME TO FORT SHEFFIELD MEN...” The General spoke from horseback.
    “THIS WILL BE YOUR HOME FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AT LEAST, HERE YOU WILL BECOME PROFESSIONAL SOLIDERS OF BRITIAN"
    “WHAT HAPPENS THEN LADS, IS ABOVE EVEN MY HEAD” He laughed.

It seemed like Sir Massue was going to be a good leader of the Battalion.

“Well Colonel, they look like they have potential” He said turning to our Colonel next to him
    “Thank you Sir, I’ll make sure they’ll be the best Battalion under your command” Colonel Price replied
    “Excellent, well dismiss them Colonel, it’s getting late, all Battalion officers are meeting me tomorrow morning at dawn.. Good night Colonel” With that the General retired.
    “Dismiss them Major”
    “BATTALION DISMISSED, GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP LAD, IT ALL STARTS TOMORROW!!”

Training began next morning... It was hard the drill, the runs, it seemed we were ment to become super soldiers. At least we seemed to have decent officers, I found my Company commander Captain Hunt as an encouraging and supporting captain. We had no sergeants we were told that becoming a NCO was something we should all strive for in training, I was giving it my all and it seemed the ruthlessness and cunning I learnt in the rookery was paying off as I was often praised by Captain Hunt.....

It was relentless how ever day we were worked to the bone... The live fire musket drills seemed to be the main priority of our training, and we took casualties from the many miss fires that were notorious of the weapon. But always, every day it was FIRE, CARTRIDGE, PRIME, LOAD, RAM, MAKE READY, and FIRE!!!

As the months wore on... we improved and improved, till we were firing 4 shots a minute. Every day the whole Brigade paraded the 4 Inf Battalions, the Cavalry Battalion and the Artillery; it was an awesome sight all of us paraded together. As the months wore on we looked more and more professional.

Finally the day had come, graduation of Basic Training... We had made it, not without some spilling of blood but the Brigade had pulled through and had become an awesome force of interconnecting arms of the Army, we had trained in Brigade manoeuvres and now moved with great precision, confident and trusting of our brothers in the Cavalry and Artillery.

“PRIVATE O’HAGAN” The Major called out across the parade ground

I moved up from the ranks towards him, I was nervous but excited something good must come of this.

“PRIVATE O’HAGAN, YOU HAVE PROVED YOURSELF IN TRAINING, BOTH IN PROFICIENCY IN ARMY SKILLS AND AS A NATURAL LEADER OF MEN”
    “FROM CAPTAIN HUNTS RECOMMENDATION, APPROVED BY COLONEL PRICE, I PRESENT TO YOU THE THREE CHEVRONS OF A SARGEANT OF THE LINE” Beamed the Major handing over my new stripes, the Colonel looked on approvingly.

“THANKS YOU SIR” I said, and swiftly about turned and returned to my Company seeing the men’s smiles.

The Parade wore on, there were many promotions, as we had no NCO what so ever, but we did now... Now the adventure was really to begin......

Chapter One: Infantcy

It was a relief to have won... It didn’t change anything exactly but it was a relief Lord Angus Haven thought as he sat down into his now secured Prime Minister desk, the hustlings were over and his cabinet had defended against not so surprisingly hostile opposition due to the Kings arrests. With the win, at least Angus knew he had the support of the people who had responded well to the advancement done by their government. But that was only the first hurdle, now the real problems had to be faced.... The growing war with France, the constant disruption of the trade lanes and the ever present growing war on the continent that was getting Britain into more and more trouble on behalf of her Allies... All this was a tax on Britain, but he must be doing something right to win Angus thought to himself....... Now what was on the agenda today as he looked at his daily summary prepared by his secretary.

“Collins? Prepare some tea for myself and Lord Egerton, let him in when he gets here” Angus called out to his secretary and sat down to wait for the First Lord of the Admiralty to arrive.

“Yes my Lord” Collins replied seeing Lord Egerton enter.
    “You may go right in my Lord, the Prime Minister is expecting you” he bowed to Lord Egerton

“Take a seat Lord Egerton” Angus said from behind his pile of paper work.
    “Well done on your election Lord Haven” Lord Egerton said with a smile knowing that with Lord Haven as Prime Minister his prestigious job was secure.
    “Thank you, now down to business”
    “Yes... well as ordered John Leakes fleet has arrived from the Caribbean, they are undergoing some much needed maintenance as we speak” Lord Egerton handed over some papers outlining the details which Angus would read later.

“Excellent, how long till the Fourths will be ready” Angus enquired.
    “Well as you know we laid their hulls late 1701, work is going well; they should be ready in six months maybe... It’s hard to say” He replied briefing looking at some papers in his folder.
    “Move them along if you can, Britain needs new trade goods, I’ll be having John take his fleet down to the Ivory Coast to flush the Pirates out of the area, ready for the trade fleets... on that note how are the Indiamen getting along” Angus stated.
    “About the same Lord, due to their similar size about the same” Lord Egerton replied.

With that Angus made a few notes in his planner.

“What else is there Lord Egerton”
    “Just budget matters” Lord Egerton replied.
    “Well, proceed” Angus sat back relaxing cause everything seemed to be going to plan, Lord Egerton rambled on for half an hour over costs and manpower issues, Angus wished this part of the job could be handled by someone else... No doubt Lord Egerton thought the same....

It was another wet morning at Whitehall... Lord Angus Haven had the fire going as he was opening his morning mail... Arh more requests from the Lords of Scotland his grumbled to himself, pushing them to one side as he worked through the pile; he came to a letter from the Admiralty.

Lord Prime minister
    As requested this Friday the Royal Navy shall be christening 7 Fourth Rates, as well as the last of the ten ordered Indiamen.

Yours sincerely
    Lord Egerton, First Lord of the Admiralty.

Finally Angus thought to himself... looking over the letter once more.

“Collins!” Angus called.

After a few second Collins came through the door.

“My Lord” Collins bowed.
    “I need to dictate an order Collins, so grab a seat lad”
    “Of course my Lord” Collins replied preparing himself to write the order.
    “Lord Egerton. Thanks for your letter; this is what we shall do... Please draw up orders for Sir John Leake to take command of the new Forth’s and prepare to sail to the Ivory Coast, have the combined trade fleet follow. Once there he is to scour the area for any pirates and assist the Indiamen in establishing their routes... I’ll leave the finer details of his orders to you Lord Egerton but this much must be paramount to his mission.” Angus said finishing the dictation.

“Send that off as soon as possible Collins”
    “Yes my lord, the Minister of America should be here shortly too my Lord” Collins replied as he went off to send the order.

Arh yes Angus thought, another area that will eventually need my attention, at least the coffee plantations in the Caribbean are now up and running.

With the knowledge of at least one trade good now available to Britain, Angus settled back into the rest of his work for the day....

And so it had come Lord Angus thought to himself pulling his overcoat tight to prevent the salty wet air of Portsmouth from drenching him, he was standing at the Royal Navy’s pier looking at the great aft of HMS Achilles Sir Leakes flagship... Assembled out in the bay were 11 Ships of the line 5 Frigates and 1 Brig all preparing to weight anchor and set sail for Africa.

“All is ready Lord Haven” Lord Egerton said into Angus ear as the sound of the sea and weather was quite loud.
    “Excellent well send them on their way” He replied as Lord Egerton gave the signal.

“And God Speed” Angus muttered to himself as he was reminded that this was one of his most risky political decisions ever... This fleet and the trade fleet already waiting at Lands End had cost Britain much in a time when money was especially needed elsewhere... It had better pay off he thought to himself returning to his carriage for the journey back to London.....

The weeks passed on... Lord Angus Haven was longing to know of Sir Leakes fleet but he would have to wait the journey to the Ivory Coast was a long one, but at least now he can allocate money elsewhere as there was nothing more to give to the fleet.... It was sunny today, Angus was pondering out on the balcony staring aimless across Whitehall. Things were looking up it seemed that finally the British economy was responding to the cost saving income generating policies that he had put forth since his appointment, this was Britain’s moment he could feel it....

“Lord Haven!!” Collins called in alarm.

“Yes Collins” Angus replied curiously.

“Lord Egerton is on his way in..... there’s been a battle” Collins replied excitedly as the Lord came through the door.

“Lord Haven... our coast guard intercepted a French brig early this morning” Lord Egerton stated seemingly puffed from the rush
    “Tell me more” Angus demanded.
    “You want to read the report from the captain yourself Lord” Lord Egerton replied handing over a folder
    Angus sat down in his lush chair and began to read the documents Lord Egerton provided...

A routine Coast Guard patrol had sighted a French Brig entering the channel for Port Greenwich Britain’s main commercial port, with the wind to their back the three sloops under Captain Thorn chased the Brig heading closer and closer to the valuable port, and the French Brig knowing that the Sloops would catch turned to offer battle...

Captain Thorn brought the sloops into a battle order just as the French Brig opened with the first salvo of the day, taking casualties but maintaining order the Sloops closed in as the Brig tried to manoeuvre into another firing position.

As the Sloop line pulled to the right of the Brig each sloop let off its broadside in turn, pouring shot after shot into the suffering French...

But the French continued to return fire as the Sloop line turned together to provide more fire on the Brig.

Three more consecutive broadsides from the sloops diminished the moral of the French.

Forcing their Caption to raise the white flag of surrender.

“Sounds like this Captain Thorn did alright” Angus said putting down the report.
    “He managed to capture the Brig intact also” Lord Egerton noted.
    “Yes that is good, see that he’s rewarded” Angus said, as Lord Egerton nodded.

“Lord it seems that the French have noticed that our main battle fleet has sailed... I’m also here to tell you that we are getting unconfirmed reports of the French Channel Forces heading towards multiple British ports as far as Scotland” Lord Egerton said looking grave as he should.
    “What? That’s unacceptable... we can’t have disruption in our trade” Angus replied suddenly not feeling as confident about Britain’s future as he did before.
    “We are naked except for the small coast guard fleets, however my Lord the remaining home fleet should be able to destroy the French raiding fleets, but we need to urgently block off and damage their home ports on the French Coast, In order to maintain the upper hand” Lord Egerton said pushing forward a plan he had worked on this morning before coming to see the Prime Minister.

Angus picked up the plan, looking it over he nodded.

“Ok Lord Egerton, I approve it must be done, I’d rather not escalate the war with France but the alternative is dire indeed”
    “Thanks you Lord Haven, I’ll get right to it” Lord Egerton replied standing.
    “I’ll have to get Lord Smith to allocate you more funds I’m assuming” Angus said trying to think of where the money will come from.
    “I’m sorry Lord but it has to be done” Lord Egerton replied.
    “Ok Ill see it, good day Lord Egerton” Angus said dismissing the First Lord of the Admiralty...

“Order.... order gentleman” Lord Angus Haven called out across the room.
    “Gentlemen, I trust you know why this meeting was called, let’s begin shall we?” Angus said with a stern voice.

The Lords of the cabinet took their seats around Angus table.

“Good, now I believe Lord Smith wants the floor” Angus said directing their attention to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

“Thank you Prime Minster, gentlemen it seems that Britain is rallying behind our new policies Im glad to report than tax revenue is up on our estimates, with the establishment of more factories and workshops Empire wide regional growth is also increasing, I’m pleased to report also that the cost cutting exercises implemented by each of you in your own departments has been a main contribution to this growth in infrastructure and industry... And for that you have my thanks” Lord Smith said shuffling his papers.
    “Thank you Lord Smith, gentlemen it seems that now is the time for the British Empire to being its rise to dominance... It’s our time to raise the flag and proclaim British glory and sophistication” Angus proclaimed in an impassioned uproar of enthusiasm.
    “Now we have the money, give me plans, give me ideas, I am but your leader and I need you to carry his Majesty vision as much as I do” He went on motivating the room.

“Lord Haven” Lord Robins Minister of America spoke out.
    “Yes Lord Robins”
    “The America’s are ripe for opportunity, with vast untouched lands of potential wealth within our reach... but first we must deal to the growing pirate and rebel scum seething from the islands” Lord Robins went on.
    “But I have under my command but one Inf Battalion and one Battalion of Dragoons” He stated.
    “I agree Lord Haven, the America’s hold great reward, my internal studies show that the Savages are divided and often at war we could strike and eventually link up with the Colonies to the north, taking control of much resources” Lord Clarke put in.
    “I don’t think it will be as swift as that Lord Clarke” Lord Cowper Chief Justice said.
    “The Natives will undoubtedly rebel against our rule”
    “Well the army can deal with that, it may be slow but I believe it’s worth the effort” Lord Clarke countered.

“You know the King would look unfavourably against any harsh treatment of the natives, he’s ushering in a new era gentlemen... remember that” Angus warned.
    “But I like it, and it furthers the Empire” Angus laughed.

“We’ll need to expand the army beyond the current two brigades” Lord Clarke stated.
    “What is the standing of the army” Angus enquired.
    “Well, the new 2nd Brigade has recently finished basic training at Fort Sheffield, we have the 1st Brigade based here in London, with a scattering of units in the America’s and elsewhere.... for this endeavour we’ll need at least a divisional force maybe more, and something to retaliate against the known brutality of the savages” Lord Clarke answered looking once again into his stack of papers.

“We’ll then we have to raise more Regiments then, how about some Scottish regiments? The Scots are renowned for their fighting ability” Angus replied.
    “I’ll draw up some orders for new regiments... a Scottish Brigade... I like the idea” Lord Clarke said while noting something down on his papers.

“How much room do we have to expand Lord Smith” Angus asked across the table.
    “With current incomes we could accommodate maybe two more brigades, but this economic boom is in the early stages, not wise to pressure it too much, however if the Fleets sailing to the Ivory Coast meet some success we will be in a perfect position for this endeavour” Lord Smith replied.

“Arh yes Sir Leakes fleet, still no word however” Angus pondered.
    “Well you have permission to raise another Brigade Lord Clarke with more to come”
    “Thank you Prime Minster Ill put out the order as soon as possible” Lord Clarke replied.

“Now to other business” Angus stated....

Arh so it had finally made the papers Angus thought to himself as he settled in the his comfortable couch in his parlour picking up the London Chronicle, he’d read the article he thought, just to see what they got wrong in their report that Angus knew about for almost 3 days now.

“PIRATES SCATTERED AND DESTROYED” he read.

Official reports from the Admiralty today confirms that an epic naval battle has taken place some months ago now off the Ivory Coast. Admiral Sir John Leake fleet under orders to clear the area of the pirate threat in order to establish trade lanes reported a sighting of a large extremely powerful pirate fleet assembled off the coast of Lagos.

He reported that the fleet was much stronger than he ever imagined and almost withdrew because of the up to 6 Galleons and flutes in the pirate fleet, however the wind changed and he knew that now was his moment of opportunity if was to ever destroy their fleet.

Dividing his fleet into two Battle lines lead off by the heavy Forth Rates, so to bombard the pirates from both sides and to concentrate as many guns in the front as possible, in the mist of the African wet season he could only just make out the Pirate fleet deployed in two tight lines close together possibly for moral, Sir Leake reported.

With the wind in their sails the two Battle Lines approached the oncoming pirates splitting to go either side, the lead Pirate vessel tacked off away from his companions eager just to take the first shot of the battle, Sir Leake reports this as a tactical error as because of the wind and the position of the British lines, that pirate ships was unable to fire for the majority of the battle.

As the forces met the right British line was first to engage delivering British lead into the pirate scum, as they seemed to turn to concentrate on the weaker British Line, leaving the heaver right line with little more than parting shots.

The right was immediately followed by broadsides from the lead ships on the left British line, hammering into the front pirate ships without mercy as they could expect none in return.

The right British line had the honour of the first Pirate kill, as a Galleon was struck in the magazine which resulted in an astounding explosion also damaging other close pirate ships a drawback of their tight formation.

As the line wore on bombarding the pirate vessels, while taking extreme fire themselves the left British line claimed the second kill of the day, in another earth shaking explosion this time the result of an immense broadside by a Forth Rate.

Leaving the battered pirate fleet to stumble in the strong head wind, the British lines turned and overlapped to return for a second pass of the already crumbling scum ridden ships, Sir Leake maintained good battle order throughout the first pass and the difficult turn into the wind.

The second run proved to be the end of the pirates with many raising the white flag or simply sinking under the weltering fire. The British lines turned again to mop up the surrendering pirates, while a few made a run for it.

When all seemed finished amazingly one last pirate ship turned to engage once more, this suicidal tactic was met with stern response by Sir Leake as the Ships of the Line turned towards the new prey.

The lone pirate came to the predictable end, as it was rentlentlessly pounded by British lead, the fate the battle was sealed.

This official report from Sir Leake was carried by returning Indiamen full with Ivory after successfully establishing trade from the Ivory Coast.

“Lord Haven” Miss White called as she came into the room with Lord Clarke in tow.

“Lord Clarke, what do I owe this pleasure” Angus looked up from the Chronicle.
    “Prime Minister, we have an opportunity... I have just been told from my sources that, Ceylon has revolted and established a new rebel government throwing the Dutch into the sea...” Lord Clarke said obviously short of breath.

“What does this mean” Angus asked.
    “Lord it means that Ceylon is up for the taking, the Dutch has relinquished their claim on the island due to ongoing financial issues” Lord Clarke replied.
    “What do we have available?” Angus said starting to sound very interested.
    “Well we are slim and the only units that are available would be the 2nd Brigade under Sir Massue, but by god I think they can manage it” The Secretary of War responded excitedly.

“Well dispatch them at once, we can’t let this opportunity slip away from us” Angus said.
    “At once Prime Minster, good day” Lord Clarke said making his way to the door.

Angus went back to his tea and breakfast, Ceylon..... That would add our own supply of tea and gems... excellent..........

Chapter Two: Blood And Fire

I awoke suddenly.... the waking sound of the reveille sounding strongly from the parade ground. What is the meaning of this I thought noticing that it was far from sunrise....? I stumbled out of bed as the men of A company II Inf were startled awake as I was....

“What’s happening Sarge” Private Watts said with half closed eyes.
    “Bloody hell if I know Private” I replied as I made sure everyone in the company was rousing.
    “Just get outside men, I’m sure then we’ll know what all this is about”

Just then Lieutenant Jones walked through the barrack door.

“Sergeant O’Hagan, rally the men quickly we are to parade in five minutes”
    “Yes Sir, YOU HEARD HIM LADS, QUICK NOW GET DRESSED.... PARADE IN FIVE MINUTES” I bellowed in my ever increasing Sergeants voice that I had been fine tuning in the last few months here at Fort Sheffield.

We all filled outside with two minutes to spare, I walked up and down the ranks of my company dressing the ranks to be ready for parade. Looking good I thought to myself, proud with my company’s performance at such an ungodly hour as I took my position the right of the company.

Soon after the whole Brigade was paraded, with some of the officers looking worse for wear than half the privates, must have been “entertaining” the ladies of hamlet last night I giggled to myself.

“BRIGADE.... ATTN SHUN!!!!” Screamed the Warrant Officer, we all snapped to attention.

Brigadier General Sir Massue walked forward with an unfamiliar Major in tow.

“BRIGADE, YOU HAVE BEEN WOKEN EARLY BECAUSE WE ARE TO MARCH FOR PORTSMOUTH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..... IT SEEMS LIKE YOU”LL BE EARNING YOUR PAY AFTER ALL... WE ARE HEADING FOR CEYLON, AN ISLAND OFF INDIA... BATTALION OFFICERS, PREPARE FOR MARCH AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, I WANT TO LEAVE BY FIVE AM!!!” With that the General turned to talk to the unfamiliar Major while walking off to his office.

We were dismissed to duties a minute after that, it seems like we are heading to war....

“PICK YOUR SELF UP PRIVATE” I called back to Private Watts as we marched...

The Brigade could be seen from miles away as our boots stirred up the dust from the road, a dust that had become so thick we were chocking on it... I was tired but then I can’t complain everyone else was tired including the Officers I thought, but at least the officers had horses.

“Nice of you to join us Private” I said as Private Watts rejoined the column behind me.
    “Sorry sarge... my shoes are giving way” he demonstrated by making a clapping sound with the soles against his feet.
    “You better get used to it Watts, the army isn’t known for providing creature comforts to scum like us.... and try not to fall over when officers are present, it’s not very becoming of a sturdy British solider of the line” I laughed referring to the incident just before.

The company smiled at my joke on Private Watts’s behalf, I have become to love these men, they were like my family now, a family I have never had. We have been marching since 4.30am we have covered many miles but with many more to go, but it was good I thought, hardening up these already hard men some more before combat can’t hurt...

“Sergeant O’Hagan” Captain Hunt called me; I headed over to beside his horse.
    “Sir?”
    “How are the men holding up sergeant?” the Captain asked, we have seemed to get along well since my promotion, with the Captain relying on me to liaise with the company, often preferring my opinions and ideas over his two Lieutenants, as he found me a natural leader of men

“They’ll do ok sir, complaining as usual, but they’ll survive” I replied with a smile.
    “I wonder how we’ll all manage under fire sergeant” Captain Hunt said revealing a little bit of the fear we all felt.
    “I’ll make damned sure none of our lot will run before the enemy sir” I tried to ease my Captains burden.
    “You’ve heard of the reforms going on in the army haven’t you sergeant.... survive sergeant and you’ll do well in this army” The Captain said with a smile.
    “Will do sir, and don’t you worry sir in the coming months we’ll be the pride of the Brigade”
    “Well tell the men that I said their doing ok” Captain Hunt said dismissing me back to my position in the column......

Boredom... Even with the limited duties the ship’s Captain had reluctantly given on the request of Captain Hunt.... It was still incredibly boring I thought to myself as I sat by the quarter deck port rail.

“The winds turning” Lieutenant Jones said, startling me out of my thoughts.
    “It is sir?” I asked wondering how an army lad like him could know that.
    “So the midshipmen told me” He laughed in reply.

Lieutenant Jones was only 17, I didn’t know how old I was but I thought I must be somewhere around 17 years old. The company should have had a few ensigns also but the army was in such a slim state at the moment that most Battalions didn’t have their full complement of officers. All this gave me hope... but it was a fools hope... this is the British army I kept reminding myself, you had to be of blood, to have the money for the commission.... but the Captains words on the march kept plaguing me, giving me a false hope that one day.....

“Sergeant?”
    “Sorry sir, got lost there for a minute” I said with a laugh.
    “Do you know how much longer the voyage is sir” I asked.
    “Should be there in a matter of weeks now” The Lieutenant replied looking around the ship.
    “I’m worried sergeant... how do you seem so calm, we are possibly sailing to our deaths”
    “Well sir I don’t look at it like that, I’ve seen death, lots of it, it’s not pretty but it’s nothing to be afraid of sir. I’m sailing to possible glory sir” I proclaimed trying to lift his spirits, but the fact was, I had nothing to lose, where as he had money and family and a bright future.

“Hmmm glory...” The Lieutenant thought.
    “You’ll do fine sir, plus you’ll have me watching your back” I laughed as I moved off; it was time for me to take some men below for duties....

It was chaos.... It was dark.... Men were everywhere.... Nothing has happened yet, but there was chaos....

“STAY CLOSE MEN, SERGEANT BRING UP THE REAR” Ordered Captain Hunt, as our longboat hit the beach.

I scrambled out of the boat pushing the privates towards the captains shining braid that somehow managed to reflect some of the moon light making it through the clouds.

“MOVE UP, MOVE UP” Captain Hunt called out in the darkness.
    “COME ON LADS ONTO THE BEACH, THIRTY PACES THEN RALLY AT THE COLOURS” I yelled pulling myself out of the last waves.

I moved up the beach pushing and prodding the men upwards, I saw the colours being raised, a small glimmer on an otherwise black beach.

“THERE THEY ARE BOYS, RALLY AT THE COLOURS I called out again.

I made it to the colours, more and more were making their way there so I found Captain Hunt and started pushing our men towards him. I had heard the General had wanted to land this night since the fleet made land only a few hours ago because the General didn’t want to risk a landing under enemy fire, so we had made the chaotic night landing so that we had a beach head before the enemy could possibly respond.

We had to assume that riders were making their way to the island capital at Trincomalee some miles to the east, and that enemy patrols or even the enemy in force could appear at any moment, and so even now men were setting out to from outer pickets around the our beach head.

“Sergeant” Captain Hunt said coming up behind me as I counted the last of our men in.
    “All accounted for sir” I replied.
    “Good, well get the men to set their gear down up the bank a bit, but keep them together... I imagine the pickets are going to be rather jumpy this first night, tell them to get some rest, we are marching a sunrise and they’ll need it” The Captain said as he turned to catch up to the Colonel.

I led the men up the bank just onto the grass, setting down my pack and checking once again that they were all there.

“What’s happening sarge” Private Mills asked setting down his pack.

The men gathered around for my reply.

“Well we are to get what sleep we can; luckily III Battalion has picket duties tonight. But we march at first light, I don’t know how it will be... but I believe it’s at least a few days march to Trincomalee so some hard times a head lads” I said as I settled down on the grass.
    “So I recommend getting some sleep” I proclaimed as I closed my eyes knowing the men would get the idea.....

The heat.... I wasn’t expecting this heat.... We had been marching for two days now, we haven’t seen the enemy yet, not even the patrols of the Cavalry had run in to anything more than running peasants.
    But the men and I were happy.... We could see smoke and haze on the horizon a clear tell tale of a city, a city that must be Trincomalee...

“WHERE ARE WE HEADED?” I called out.
    “TRINCOMALEE!!!!” The marching men roared in unison with a laugh.

It had been the motto of our march since the early hours on the beach, the men were excited anxious and a little afraid but their spirits were high, it would be our first test as a battalion it would be the first test of each mans courage. I believed they would succeed; I had this sense this sixth sense that our Battalion was bound for glory, the men.... who were the scum of British society, had adapted and took on board the rigorous and often harsh nature of the army and excelled. I was proud of these men I thought again as we marched.

“BE READY MEN, WE ARE NEARING TRINCOMALEE, THE ENEMY COULD BE WAITING, JUST REMEMBER YOUR TRAINING AND LISTEN TO YOUR SERGEANTS” Captain Hunt called out and he rode up the length of the company.
    The men smartened up, it was official danger was near the time for light hearted banter was gone and serious business waited.

We made the city that afternoon; our Battalion was positioned away from the walls out of the enemies cannon range to make camp. All the senior officers were with the General, decisions were being made and men’s lives would be on the table I thought, the sickness of it almost outweighed the excitement that was growing in me. I sat down with the men; I would know when it was important....
    The Captain came over a while later and mentioned for me and the other sergeant to join him and the other officers.

“Sir Massue has elected for a siege, it seems the enemy’s numbers exceeded his initial reports and that the battle might not be so easy after all” The Captain went on with a grim look.
    “So we’ll try and starve them out.... The city is overcrowded so they shouldn’t last too long”
    “That means we’ll have to be at the ready at every moment sir” I said, thinking of the men’s nerves.
    “Yes, well it’s that or possible defeat” The word hang heavy.
    “This is what is ordered, hopefully the siege won’t last long and we’ll get a break somewhere” The Captain finished off, dismissing us back to our duties....

The days and nights wore on.... our company took our turns as picket watching the city lights, slipping into fatigue but always snapping too at the slightest suggestion.

I walked up the slight hill which our camp was behind, facing the city I stared; I did this everyday at noon, almost like a ritual I thought wondering why.... Men were getting restless, all this waiting and suspense but nothing ever happening or no new orders coming I pondered gazing out across the land towards the outer lying suburbs of Trincomalee.
    I swung around.

“PRIVATE WATTS” I yelled out.
    “SIR”
    “GET CAPTAIN HUNT, QUICK NOW” I called back.

The boy ran off, I turned looking back at the city.... Hopefully I wasn’t mistaken, but then again hopefully I was.

“SERGEANT” The Captain called out from the bottom of the hill.
    “YOU BETTER GET UP HERE SIR”

The Captain looked slightly annoyed as he made his way up in the oppressive heat.

“Sir see the spire, two hundred metre to the right Sir”
    “BLOODY HELL SERGEANT” The Captain said turning.
    “Come on” He called as we both started running down the hill.

“LIEUTANENT” Captain Hunt called to Lieutenant Jones who was just exercising his horse.
    “Sir”
    “GET THE GENERAL AND STAFF NOW, AND BLOODY WELL HURRY UP”

The men all perked up at the urgency, looking at me for answers.... I shrugged war had finally come.....

We had lined up on the hills crest, the General had just came thundering in returning from his scouting of the enemy.
    He had us positioned along the crest with the artillery in the centre and the cavalry out to the right flank; we also had the I Inf hidden behind a rocky outcrop ready to swing round to surprise the numerous enemy.

I shuffled at the end of my company, the company didn’t really end the line just moved on company after company, battalion after battalion in all its splendour. The enemy ranks had finally covered the miles out towards our position, it seemed they were after a fight after all, you could almost feel the sombre mood of the Brigade, I could smell too much rum as no doubt men of the ranks and officers alike tried to drown their looming fear of death.

The enemy seemed not to be well organised, their battalions were shuffling on the field before me seemingly undecided in their approach, maybe they were sensing the same fear we were I thought to myself, maybe the rebellious hordes were not the epic enemy we imagined on the miles we travelled.

“Well gentlemen, let’s get this started, tell the artillery to open fire” I distantly heard the General who was just behind my Battalion.

A few seconds then..... BOOM!!!! I saw the line startle with the sound, the cannons flung back on their rails as the crew began the motions drilled into them.... To maintain steady and relentless fire upon the enemy.

With the cannons it seemed the fear was pushed into the back of my mind, I had work to do a legacy to form; I griped my musket tightly and looked down the line checking my men.
    It seemed our artillery had finally convinced the enemy to form, as I watched as their numerous battalion filled into the line of battle.

There was nothing for us to do, but stand, steady and hide in our collective resolve. The cannons were doing the work for now far out ranging my humble musket. I just watched on like a child taking the sights in, every experience, and trying to learn my new trade even more. The cannons were making contact with the enemy now as the gunners had zero in their targets.

As the streaming smoke of the cannons drifted over us, I saw the enemy finally begin their advance their line buckling from the forward motion over the terrain.

The cannons were murderous, I could see the round shot tearing holes through marching men; we waited as they came ever closer.

I heard some excited talk coming from the General’s direction; I turned to look at Captain Hunt who was just coming back from the knot of officers.

“THE ENEMY GENERAL IS DOWN MEN” He cheered.
    “THEY BE SCARED NOW LADS, SCARED AS THE SHOULD BE” He bellowed out for all of us to hear..

Great I thought that ought to swing the battle into our favour.

But I couldn't ponder that thought for long....

“COMPANY, MAKE READY”
    “MAKE READY” I repeated down the line.

The enemy was getting close, but we were waiting for maximum effect.

“PRESENT”
    “PRESENT” I repeated.

The men with military percussion brought up their muskets, pointed down range into the now quick marching enemy scum.

“FIRE”

The sound was intense, alike but different from the cannons.... The pan flashed in my face and the musket kicked back with tremendous force, but I was unaware for the order to fire at will had been given and every man was now going through the drilled, trained and perfected movements of loading and firing.... it wasn’t long as we were a fine tuned machine till I brought up the musket again to fire my second shot. With this volley I saw a few ramrod fly out towards the enemy, as some men caught up in the rush, the fear and the hustle of firing forgot to finish the reload correctly.

The enemy raked from musket fire and canister from the artillery broke. It all happened so fast but the immense fire we were providing had slaughtered the enemy bodies and screaming men littered the field ahead of us as the enemy turned and ran.

With our part of the battle under control, I noticed the I Inf swinging around the outcrop to take a flanking enemy battalion completely by surprise just as the cannons shifted the canister fire to them. They seemed to shake from the fire being poured into them from all sides and as their friends they too turned and fled.

The smoke was drifting away slowly, I couldn’t see much through it but I was busy checking the ranks. We all turned at the sound of the cavalry trumpets, it seems that even the cavalry would get to be bloodied today.

I had a sense that the battle was drawing to a close, it had been quick I thought as I raised my musket once again as a few straggling enemy units came back into range in suicidal charges. But they fell just as the men before; they were not the Gods they thought they were.

The hill cleared of smoke, and I watched the enemy rout before us. This battle was over I thought thanking God for my survival.

"Whats the bill sergeant?" Captain Hunt said to me in a gentle quiet voice.
    "2 dead sir, 4 wounded" I replied looking downcast, I hadn't even seen them fall.
    "One of the dead is Lieutenant Jones sir"
    "Jones...." The Captain looked shocked.
    "Yes sir" I lowered my head in shame of not having done something, even though I couldn't have.

"BATTALION, ADVANCE"
    I stepped out amazed I could still walk after all the adrenalin, the order was out, we were to advance into Trincomalee and force the remaining fight out of the enemy. For Ceylon was to be ours.....

Chapter Two: Quest and Rebellion

It was a glorious day, Lord Angus Haven thought looking at the clear blue British sky... A glorious day... The hum of the excited crowd created an intense atmosphere as Angus sat down amongst the other ministers in the parliament section of the grandstand erected this morning in Hyde Park.

“A great day Lord Angus” Lord Egerton said sitting down in his seat.
    “It is just that” Angus replied smiling.

Just then with a swelling sound the orchestra roared into life drawing the attention of the ministers, lords, gentlemen and the common people alike to the arrival of His Majesty King William III in the splendid royal coach.

Angus got up to go and welcome the King.

“You’re Majesty” Angus did a polite bow.
    “Lord Prime Minister, I see everything is ready, shall we start” The King replied with affection to the man who had improved his empire much.
    “Yes your Majesty” Angus replied giving the signal to a Brigadier General as the King and his party took their seats.

The orchestra snapped quickly into “The British Grenadiers” marching tune as from the far end of Hyde Park came the rumbling sound of Redcoats marching.

Angus sat back to enjoy the display, Royal Guard Battalions marched past in immaculate precision followed by the perfect Royal Cavalry and towed Royal Horse Artillery, with sparkling Generals on horseback and full flags and colors.
    Splendid Angus thought to himself, this parade was in honor of the capture of Ceylon which had occurred months ago now but Britain had only just received the news from the Indian theater. It seems the 2nd Brigade performed superbly and even now goods were coming in from Britain’s newest colony.

“Remind me Lord Egerton that we need to appoint a new minister for India” Angus said.

Angus enjoyed the rest of the parade which filled him with a strong sense of accomplishment and no doubt swelled his ego a bit further.

He arrived home later that evening after attending the Kings party; he’d had too much to drink he thought as he swayed through the door.

“Are you alright my Lord?”

Angus looked up to see Miss White looking concerned. Jesus she’s gorgeous he almost blurted out but managed to keep the thought from his tongue.

“I’m quite alright Miss White, thank you” He responded politely heading for his office.

As he closed the door and turned towards the window to get some fresh evening air.... Damn what a wonderful day Angus thought looking out at the lights of London thinking again of Miss White’s soft skin...

“Arh damn it..... I’m the Prime Minister, and just conquered a foreign land.... I deserve some reward” He proclaimed loudly to himself as he even more thought of Miss White.

He opened the door.

“Miss White would you come here please” Angus called out... He deserved it and he was a Lord... He was doing her a favour he thought as Miss White came into the room.

He closed the door....

Angus leaned back into his sofa, examining the reports and papers from the War Office. The fire was roaring in the parlour as it was pouring and cold outside just a few weeks since that gloriously fine day at the parade... “Humph English weather” Angus muttered to himself.
    Things were still going well Angus thought as he put down some papers and picking more up from the table.

“Arh the new Division” Angus said aloud looking at the official report.

These two brigades were to link up with the now famous 2nd Brigade off the coast of South America; orders for the 2nd Brigade to embark were already on their way to India. Then combined the 1st Division would first locate and destroy the Pirate havens in the Caribbean, once the Pirates were no more they would then hopefully proceed with the plan of landing in the Gulf of Mexico against the Savage horde and to march north to link up with the 13 Colonies. A sound plan Angus thought to himself, hopefully it will all go according to plan.
    Angus picked up another report.

“Fourteen new Ships of the Line, Good God!” Angus proclaimed...

The King was furious...

“HOW DARE THEY!!” He proclaimed loudly, scaring the servants in the room.
    “THOSE COLONIAL SCUM!!”
    “Your Majesty, I’m sorry this has come as a complete surprise” Lord Angus Haven tried to calm the furious King.
    “BAHHH, AND HOW TO YOU PROPOSE TO RESPOND TO THIS OUTRAGE!” The King sounding not very calm at all.
    “We can retaliate your Majesty, even now Battalions are preparing to depart to the new world, we just change their orders some, give them a new directive” Angus replied.
    “YES... yes” The King said finally calming down.
    “And your Majesty it’s not all the colonies, reports are that it’s just the one at the moment, but we must act fast and decisively to prevent further spread of this idea”
    “Alright Lord Haven, you speak wisely.... we must put down this American rebellion” He said sitting back down.

Angus sat back down and got down to the rest of his monthly report on the Empire...

“Your Majesty, besides that... things are improving greatly across the board, it seems we are through the rough patch... the money is flowing and we can now rapidly expand” Angus reported.

“That is good news Prime Minister” The King said, settling down for the rest of the meeting....

The three men walked in.... Lord Clarke Secretary of War followed by a naval and an army officer.

“Lord Haven” Lord Clarke said.

Angus stood in welcome.

“My I introduce at your request, Lt General Sir Kilpatrick and Vice Admiral Sir Shelton” Lord Clarke gestured at the standing officers.

“Arh gentlemen” Angus said offering his hand.
    “So these are the two men to deal with the rebels” Angus said smiling.
    “Yes Sir” They both replied.
    “And you embark today for America?”
    “When the tide turns my Lord” Replied Sir Shelton.
    “Excellent, well you must be busy, thank you for seeing me” Angus said as they walked towards the door.
    “And God Speed gentlemen” Angus wished them well....
    Last edited by Stildawn; August 14, 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Default Re: [AAR] The Mere Scum Of The Earth.

Chapter Three: Oppression

I was on edge.... the rouges were around here somewhere.... Somewhere in the misty darkness.... We were creeping our line drawn out and scattered, but we were making noise.... Too much noise I thought, we were not trained to fight like this, we were British Line Infantry the gentlemen of the field, I was getting more and more frustrated at being out here in the sticky humidity hunting down these ragged scum.

“They must be in here somewhere” Captain Hunt whispered to me as he came close.
    “Yes sir, can’t see anything in this damn jungle” I replied.
    “We would have heard the Cavalry cut them off if they had kept running, be wary of an ambush” Captain Hunt said whilst looking around the company counting off the men.

We had been chasing these raiders, rebels whatever you want to call them for 3 days now, eventually chasing them into this small patch of jungle a hundred miles south east of Trincomalee. Our company was tasked to flush them out so the rest of the Battalion with our Cavalry detachment could wipe them out, but to be honest we had never thought they would have stopped moving. Now waiting somewhere in the dense vegetation were cutthroat killers, just waiting for their chance.

A blazing light destroying the darkness suddenly the night was alight with musket fire from the sides of our line. I hit the ground hard as I tried to avoid the fire, it was only one volley then I saw them swooping in, jumping from the darkness blades in hand.

PRESENT.... FIRE” I heard Captain Hunt scream out trying to get a shot off into the rouges.

Only a few muskets answered the command, it had all happened so fast.

BAYONETS..... GIVE EM STEEL BOYS” Captain Hunt bellowed as he drew his sword.

I picked myself up and ran after the Captain straight into the oncoming enemy, the men followed as I screamed out an incomprehensive roar of rage, or anger, or possibly even fear.

I picked my target and ran for the man, I stabbed out with my bayonet but alas the man parried my strike to the right, I just rammed into him with my body, throwing him to the side as I forgot him and moved on towards another enemy leaving him for one of the men to finish up.

It was odd, in this instant where my death was up to chance I seemed more alert, more controlled, more invincible than ever before, the rage and anger of fighting had elevated my responses to another level, the world seemed to turn slower and I could see everything clearly....

An enemy rouge running towards me suddenly I watched as he practically jumped at me, he hit me on the side and we both were forced into the wet earth. We rolled struggling to gain the upper hand in our pitched battle; my almost natural instincts learned in the London rookery gave me an advantage in the simple brawl....

I rolled onto my back holding my musket tight at my side.... Waiting for the perfect moment as the man jumped back onto me thinking that I was beat.... Lightning fast while he was in mid flight I pulled up the musket holding by the muzzle.... He came down hard impaling himself onto my now pointed bayonet....

His face distorted into a shocked look as his blood ran thick and fast down the blade onto my hands and uniform, then the fear came across his face, suddenly I was staring not into an enemies dying eyes, but a man just as myself.... Just caught on the other side.... His life fading away.... I life I took....

“Mister.... Mister”

I woke up suddenly sweat pouring....

“Mister.... Are you ok” She enquired as I got out of bed and hurriedly put my uniform back on.

I threw some copper coins on the bed and stormed out the room, it had been months now and I had been in many more skirmishes across Ceylon dealing with bandits and rebel, but that moment still haunted me, I couldn’t forget, his face his dying face.... I melted into the darkened streets of Trincomalee....

I was sour the next morning at Parade; the Battalion Major was running II Inf Battalion at present, since Colonel Price as the senior Colonel of the Brigade has taken over the late Sir Massue who has died of swine flu last week. Curse this land I thought thinking that in England we wouldn’t have lost the General to the sickness, the whole Brigade was still in shock of the sudden death, on top of the ever present disease amongst our ranks here in India.

The men were dismissed from the daily morning parade; I walked off to shave in the hot water we sergeants pooled together every so often.

“Sergeant O’Hagan”

I turned to see Captain Hunt walking towards me.

“A moment Sergeant” He gestured to follow him.
    “Of course Sir”
    “I’ve talked in over with the Major, and Colonel Price has signed off on it.... Since Lt Jones death 3rd Platoon has been leaderless, so basically what I’m saying Sergeant is that 3rd Platoon is yours for the moment.... That is until we get a new Lieutenant that is” Captain Hunt informed me.

My own command I thought.... I couldn’t help the smile appearing on my face even though I felt guilty that Lt Jones death was the cause of this promotion.

“Thank you Sir” I stammered out still overwhelmed by my fortune.
    “You’re welcome Sergeant, you are the best man for the job, I trust you’ll perform well”
    “It also seems that we won’t be here in Ceylon much longer, orders have come to embark as soon as possible and to rendezvous with 1st and 3rd Brigade in South America, for operations in that Theatre” Captain Hunt informed me.
    “Yes Sir” I said pleased that we were leaving Ceylon for more adventure....

The shore was insight.... We had met up with the rest of 1st Division off the coast of Dutch Guyana South America; the fleet from Britain had brought the news of the Rebels in America and the change of orders to attack them at Virginia before finishing the Pirates in the Caribbean.
    The army was the largest Army Britain had ever assembled outside on Europe, all stowed up in the endless ranks of transport ships protected by the large Fleet of Warships. I hadn’t seen our Divisional commander Lt General Sir Kilpatrick yet but it was rumoured that he was a fearsome scot, ill tempered but a furious force in battle. Sounded like my kind of General I thought as the ships got ever closer to the growing line on the horizon, it wouldn’t be long till the landing now. At least this time it will be done in daylight....

I had taken longer than I thought, but it was a marvellous sight.... And I thought our Battalion looked fearsome and massive on the march, but this was like nothing I had ever seen before. The whole Division was just forming up as the last of the supplies were hitting the shore, it looked so splendid all the Infantry in tight formations with the Cavalry and Artillery likewise.

It seems that the “Americans” had rallied out of Williamsburg at the first sight of our fleet and their army was matching to intercept us just a few miles from the beach. It seemed like a desperate move seeing as they were too late to catch us landing, our vastly superior numbers and better trained and supplied troops gave us a decisive advantage I thought as orders came to form into Battalion groups, we were planning to take the fight to the enemy.
    Sir Kilpatrick had decided to divide us up into Attacking Brigades to try to pincer the oncoming American army. 3rd Scots Brigade was deployed in the centre.

We of the 2nd Brigade were deployed on the left and were to be the main moving point of the manoeuvre.

And the 1st Brigade was deployed on the right on the outskirts of a small town which would serve as a pivoting point and securing that flank.

I at last caught sight of the Americans coming over the far ridge and marching closer.

“Sergeant O’Hagan, how are your men?” Captain Hunt asked as he walked over.
    “Fine and steady Sir, it’s not us you should be worried about Sir, but the green Brigades over there” I pointed towards the rest of the Division and beaming with pride at his “your men” remark.
    “Yes well I don’t doubt the Scots but the 1st Brigade is made up of majority city boys don’t know how tough they are”
    “Hey Sir I’m from London, but if there from the bad part of the city they’ll do alright also” I replied with mocking anger.
    “Well just to let you know Sergeant, we are to march out to the left some more and try to encircle the enemy, out on our own that is” Captain Hunt informed.
    “Doesn’t bother me Sir, we are the best Brigade in the army, we can do it”

I saw a Major riding over from the General.

“I wonder what he wants” The Captain said turning to go find out.

“Well men damn horrible day for a fight isn’t it” I called out to my Platoon as the heavens opened up with a down pour, luckily I had suspected this would happen and had got the whole Battalion to wrap their locks in rags.
    “For those of you who are new, and this is your first battle, don’t worry just stick with the older men and listen to me and you’ll be fine” I continued to try in still confidence.

The Captain walked over again....... It seems like the Americans were going to attack us.... Suicide I thought.

MEN QUICK NOW FALL INTO LINE ON THE DOUBLE” Captain Hunt commanded as we saw that the Americans were almost catching us in Colum.

I hurried my men, we had to spread out an awful lot and cover some ground to show a solid line to the Americans..... BOOM!!!!
    The cannons opened up directly to my left, their shots reaching out to the enemy hopefully buying us sometime.

It had worked; the Americans had stalled under the battery of the three Artillery Battalions, allowing the rest of the Division to get into battle line. It was awesome to see from our vantage point on a slight hill and sitting ajar to the rest of the line, it stretched out for over a mile, the 1st far away next to the town, the rowdy 3rd in the centre and us forming the left.

As the enemy marched closer I laughed.... It was either their inadequate leadership or their lack of formal training but I laughed at their field manoeuvres. They seemed disjointed and not very organised.

“Looks like the Americans aren’t so stupid” Captain Hunt said walking up to me.
    “Sir?” I asked.
    “I have word that they have a Battalion way out on our right flank that looks to be going to flank our line through that town” He said pointing off towards the town that we could only just make out.
    “Danger sir?”
    “No no they haven’t sent enough to force us to redeploy, just send off this lot Sergeant and we’ll be fine” He mentioned towards the approaching Americans who seemed to be getting into formation finally.

It wasn’t up to us at the moment, it seems like the green Scots were to get their first taste of action today as I looked over to them just as they let off a tremendous volley into the now in range Americans.

It was nice to be a mere spectator at this point, something I have never witnessed before watching the Scottish line roll out the endless volleys from this perspective.
    The Americans recoiling from the punishment the Scots were handing out had just committed suicide I thought as they stupidly stopped their assault on the middle and began marching across the line towards our position, while still in range of the muskets of 3rd Brigade.
    I felt almost saddened by the sight as numerous Americans fell as the 3rd Brigade raked through their now perpendicular line with muskets and canister... So many men lost from poor leadership.
    I readied myself as they would soon come in range.

It was so stupid I thinking to myself as more Americans died; they were English men after all. I heard the distinctive sound of the Cavalry trumpet from far off.... Must be dealing with that American flanking force I wondered.

PRESENT” Captain Hunt called out startling me from my thoughts.... The American had covered the remaining ground.
    PRESENT” I repeated so that my platoon obeyed.
    WAIT UNTILL YOU CAN SEE THE WHITE IN THEIR EYES LADS, AND AIM LOW AIM LOW” The Captain bellowed.
    FIRE

The musket kicked back in the now familiar kick....

FIRE BY HALF COMPANIES” The order sang out as we started our most infamous drill.

I dropped my musket to the ground and began the drill with trained efficiency, just then the Americans let out a volley in reply. It felt as if the air moved around me.... I didn’t get hit but saw quite a few redcoats fall their uniforms going redder still.

I shook the thought from my mind and concentrated on my drill, finally bringing my musket up waiting for my platoons turn to fire, as the musket fire sweep down the line getting closer.

FIRE” I yelled.

Another powerful kick, another flash of powder on my face.... Again dropping my musket for the reload, as the men around me did the same, on and on we went. The smoke was so thick around us we couldn’t even see the enemy anymore, I noticed a few more enemy volleys pouring into our ranks but they were diminishing.

CEASE FIRE.... CEASE FIRE” I heard the order and stopped.

The smoke drifted away slowly as I peered thought it to see the Americans turn and run.

The 3rd Brigade were still firing but suddenly the whole American line fell apart and a general retreat was happening before my eyes.

I noticed a messenger from the General of Division riding up to Colonel Price our Brigade commander, it seems we might have some more work I thought as I looked around my Battalion seeing a few men urinating into their musket barrels a battlefield solution to the build up of powder fouling their muskets.

READY TO MARCH MEN, QUICK NOW” Captain Hunt called out.

We were to march out and cut off the American retreat though a pass in the country side; if we took a direct line to it we would beat the Americans who were still trying to get away from the rest of the Division.

The weather was clearing as we marched the rain stopping, we were going a double time and the slippery slopes were treacherous.

“Will we make it Sir” I asked Captain Hunt.
    “I hope so Sergeant, otherwise we’ll have to fight the fellows again and maybe next time they’ll have the cannons of Williamsburg to help them” The Captain said.

In took us all of twenty minutes to reach the pass, we had lost sight of the retreating Americans who were now on the other side of a hill.
    The Brigade Infantry Battalions spread out into line covering the pass, the Major decided to march forward into a small forest in the direction of where the Americans would come from, in the hope of further surprising the enemy.

I was stumbling through the forest as the line edged through, suddenly we broke clear of the forest and directly in front of us was a rabble of retreating American Battalions.

PRESENT.... FIRE” The order sang out across our line as we hastily brought our muskets to bear.

The volley although scattered was the end of the Americans who started laying down their muskets in droves just as the 1st Brigades Cavalry came up over the hill top, they had been herding the Americans towards us....

I sat down resting on the soaked grass, it had been a busy day and many were exhausted from the landing and following battle.... But we had definitely earned our pay this day I thought as the whole American army was routed and captured....

We were ordered to rest when we arrived at Williamsburg, since the battle at Yorktown as I had learned was the name of the small town. We had met little or no resistance on the march towards Virginia’s capital mostly just peasants swearing their loyalty to the crown, mainly to escape punishment I suspected.
    But it was nice.... my Brigade was ordered to rest up while the 1st and 3rd attacked the city as no serious battle was expected.
    We came to a halt.... I could look down on the city, watching the redcoats march in.... The end for this so called United States of America.... I wonder how the world would have been if they survived?

Chapter Three: Trouble On The Continent

Lord Angus Haven stood up with an out stretched hand.... He didn’t like the look of this man but there wasn’t much he could do about it.... The King himself appointed his representative in the 13 Colonies, so Angus just had to put up with him....

“Arh Governor Jake.... I pray your long journey across the Atlantic was uneventful?”
    “Yes it was quite boring and the like” Jake I Governor of the 13 Colonies replied shaking the Prime Ministers hand.
    “Yes they can be tedious, although I haven’t been on one in years.... so much work for me to do here you see” Angus said taking his seat behind his desk.
    “Yes quite” Governor Jake said as he took a seat as well.

The Governor looked quite tired Angus thought to himself, but that’s to be expected since he only got off the ship a few hours ago.

“So what do you have to tell me” Angus asked leaning back in his chair.
    “Well my Lord, 1st Division under Sir Kilpatrick was quite successful upon arriving in the New World.... I have his report here somewhere but I’ll leave that for you to read at your leisure” He replied quickly looking through his folder.
    “The long and the short of it is that Virginia was wrestled from the rebels and is now occupied by His Majesty’s forces”
    “Excellent... Excellent news the King will be most pleased” Angus proclaimed.

“There were minimal casualties and when I left Sir Kilpatrick was readying his division for embankment for the Pirate havens to the south of the Caribbean as per the original plans.... I would like to express thanks to you my Lord for dealing with these rebels quickly and decisively before the situation got out of hand” The Governor went on.
    “Most welcome, most welcome indeed.... So they are headed for the pirates by now.... Excellent with the pirate havens destroyed I’ll be able to recall Sir John Leakes fleet from the trade theatres for more appropriate use” Angus smiled at the prospect of another great fleet in Europe.
    “Well, I’ll leave the rebuilding of Virginia up to you Governor.... But be sure to deal with any lingering rebel sentiments, but by God don’t be rash you must know how the King has taken a soft spot for the people and wont bear any brutish actions” Angus said with a smile.

“Yes my Lord” Jake replied.

“Now what else is new in the 13 Colonies? Do the forces under your command fear well against the natives?”
    “Yes my Lord.... They attack frequently but only in small number and we are managing to keep them in check for now.... I’ve heard that Sir Kilpatrick might be visiting us once again Lord Haven” Jake replied with an investigating look.
    “That were his original orders, deal with the Pirates then land in the Gulf of Mexico and push north against the.... the err Cherokee? If that’s what they are called, eventually linking up with your forces in the north” Angus explained.
    “Sounds like a very good plan my Lord and would add greatly to the wealth of the Empire.....”

“My Lord.... The Secretary of War is here to see you on an urgent matter” Collins interrupted with Lord Clarke at his side.

“Looks like we’ll have to finish this meeting at a later time dear Governor, please excuse us if you will” Angus said turning his eyes towards the Secretary.
    “Of course Prime Minister..... Lord Clarke good to see you again” Jake said as he rose and left the room, Collins closing the door behind him.

“I’ve never like that character” Lord Clarke said sitting down.
    “I not particularly fond of him either, but what cannot be changed cannot be changed.... So what’s the meaning of all this” The Prime Minister said while picking a cigar from his box, he mentioned to Lord Clarke if he would like one.... The Secretary did a polite shake of his head.

“I have most interesting news.... I have not fully analysed all the information so I don’t know whether this is good news or bad news yet but....”
    “Come on out with it Clarke” Angus put in.
    “It seems over night that an Austria army has taken Paris my Lord”

“Paris.... thee Paris” Angus looked shocked.

“Yes Lord Haven.... The French are reeling all over France as more Austrian forces have seized a large portion of the country”

“This is of some concern.... I’m calling an emergency Cabinet meeting tomorrow morning.... Spread what information you have to the other Ministers and work through the night to give me some options tomorrow” Angus said suddenly.
    “Yes Prime Minister.... I’ll see you tomorrow then.... Good day” With that Lord Clarke left.

Bloody Austrians.... They can’t upset the balance of power on the continent in such away Angus thought to himself gazing out the window.... This will throw off all politics and will affect trade greatly.... What to do what to do....

####

“As you all know gentleman.... The Austrians have taken Paris and most of France.... And since we are at war with Austria, which is not necessarily a good thing.... Our war with Austria had been distant and nothing more than a dispute till now” Lord Angus Haven opened the meeting of his cabinet.

“Lord Clarke proceed with your findings” Angus mentioned to the Secretary of War.

“Gentleman, men of my department along with the foreign ministry worked through the night analysing the possible outcomes of Austria’s move. It’s not good; although France is our enemy they held a key role in keeping the continents balance of power stable. If they manage to consolidate their hold over France they will have a clear advantage in manpower and industry, wealth and trade that they could use to bully and persuade other nations against Britain and her interests” Lord Clarke stated rather grimly.

“If I may.... Since Britain is trade dependant and becoming even more so, Austria if their power grows could essentially hold us to ransom with their greater influence on the continent pressuring our historic trade partners” Lord Smith Chancellor of the Exchequer put in.
    “This cannot happen” he almost pleaded to his fellow ministers.

“Not to mention their ability to damage and inflict harm on other independent nations” Lord Egerton said.

“Yes yes.... I too believe that Britain cannot sit idly by this time, we must act to restore the balance of power before it is too late” Angus said looking up from his papers.
    “But war on the continent will be bloody and costly; we must consider any actions carefully” Lord Cowper Chief Justice remarked.
    “It won’t be as costly as a closing of our export industry” Lord Smith sniped back.

“I hear your concerns Chief Justice.... They are grave concerns.... But we must be in agreement that something must be done?” Angus asked Lord Cowper in a friendly manner.
    “Yes Prime Minister.... Something must be done” Lord Cowper conceded.

“Lord Clarke, Ill task you to run down all possible courses of action we can take on the matter.... but until we have a solid plan I propose we begin to prepare for the worse.... surely raising more Regiments must be in order” Angus asked around the room.
    “Aye....” Lord Egerton put in his support.
    “Yes that seems prudent” Lord Smith said.
    “Ok then.... Lord Clarke you have permission to begin raising some more regiments, in preparation for a possible war with Austria” Angus said with a commanding voice.

"To your work then gentlemen" He dismissed the assembled....
    Last edited by Stildawn; August 21, 2009 at 03:59 AM.

I like it.

Burnoutfigs's Avatar Semisalis

I liked it too, good job. For us newbies at AAR's, I think the best thing for us to do is put a AAR out there and get feedback. so good job.

Praepositus

Nice... great start... like the pictures! You use Photoshop right?

lolol... anyway it's pretty good for your first AAR. I wanted to try for an AAR myself... nervous if it doesn't turn out too well.. but your's will turn out great!!

Haha Im surprised at how much work goes into an AAR lol. I spent like 2 hours last night just to that little bit... I hope to get the second part of the Intro up tonight some time (got a poker game so I might be up late afterwards lol)

But thanks for the feed back guys lol... Im hoping to make it more of a story than a play by play of my campaign lol, so expect longer ones in future lol.

You use Photoshop right?
    That I do.. its funny I havnt really used it in ages lol and last night I was strugling to find all the features I use to know so well... I used a "sandstone" texture for the pictures hehe so Im not ripping Burnoutfigs "canvas" idea too much lol.

Do you guys like the title?
    Last edited by Stildawn; July 09, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Praepositus

lol weird... didn't know you had to put so much work into it. I'm looking forward to the next part of the intro. Your pics are really cool.... I use GIMP myself... I"m pretty sure I could find something to work with... anyway, it's off to a good start so keep it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Haha Im surprised at how much work goes into an AAR lol. I spent like 2 hours last night just to that little bit...
    I know what you mean! It's like I spent 20 minutes playing a battle then one and a half hours writing up my chapter for the AAR but hey it's worth it. All us newbies will have to stick together.
    'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

Praepositus

mind giving me some pointers on writing an AAR? I just might join the newbie train with you guys... still thinking of a faction though...

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    mind giving me some pointers on writing an AAR? I just might join the newbie train with you guys... still thinking of a faction though...
    I think it's just a case of going with what you feel comfortable with. Like me I knew I would never be graphically entwined so I have wrote it as a story about a soldier. Suppose could of picked a General or the factions leader.

It really is a case of what ever you feel best with.
    'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

Um well Im no veteran lol. But what I did was at work I did a point by point summary of my little story.. Then went home to try and enact it out on my campaign.. Took lots of screenshots (most get binned lol). In my summary I leave parts like "- Gets deployed to ____ fights ____" etc to fill in with actual events in my campaign.

Then at home once I have played the part I wanted.. I sat down and expanded my points into the full story.

Praepositus

those are some useful tips... I could really use those. My idea for a faction is one of the German states other than Prussia...

That could be a good one... a nice underdog story surrounded by big powers lol.

Praepositus

lol.... ya, so when do you think you'll get the next part up?? Can't wait to read more...

Well Ill start working on it soon ish I guess (when the work runs out...) but Im at work so will have to wait til Im home to polish it up etc with pics... But I have a poker game tonight... But if im not too drunk Ill stay up late and hopefully post tonight... Its still an intro the next part the real action wont start til maybe the 3 or 4th post... But Ill make it interesting lol.

Praepositus

good luck with that lol...

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espaņa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

god its good writing but i already sense im not going to like the AAR, theme wise

Praepositus

what do you not like about the theme?

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espaņa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

well i dont want to get too political, but being of irish decent and seeing and researching many things, i hate what the british did in ireland. and well "them heathens..." started off well, and well other things might offend people, which i am not enclined too say as this forum has the highest level of moderation i have seen, IMO a bit too much but hey, nice writing

Lol I was just trying to get into the 18th century theme... I have nothing against Irish (Im a part Irish too lol) just that was something Id imagine them saying back in the day...

Hmmm Ill try tone my "18th century" speach down a bit I think.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast