Thread: Throne Room/Assassination Movies - Why were they deleted

Default Throne Room/Assassination Movies - Why were they deleted

I have recently started to play Shogun. Two good features there are the Throne Room and the well made Assassination Movies.

So I wonder, why weren´t they used in the following games MTW, Rome or Empire?

Default Re: Throne Room/Assassination Movies - Why were they deleted

The throne room was also disabled by default in the MI expansion. You have to enable it yourself.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this. Games developers often make strange decisions - and the rest of us can but guess at the motivations.

I would guess that Shogun was a labour of love for at least one of the developers at Creative Assembly. In particular you have a couple of texts packaged with the game "The Way of the Daimyo" and also the Bushido.

Also, of course, the game is a fair bit simpler than Medieval and the later games, because the different factions are nearly identical, which reduces the work that needs to be done on balancing the units and tweaking the AI for the different factions. The added complexity in medieval (which I do appreciate) reduces developer time for other gubbins.

Finally, I would also say that ninjas are particularly well-suited to the short assassination movies, because they are "cool". This is not so true of their medieval equivalent.

All that said, it is one of the reasons to particularly appreciate Shogun.

You could be right Misfratz, with the increased amount of factions and cultures the work would be to time consuming for the developers. In MTW you would probably need at least three different looking Throne Rooms (catholic, orthodox and muslim) and different Emissaries for all the factions.