Thread: Having trouble with The Fourth Age: Total War – The New Shadow (2.0b)

Default Having trouble with The Fourth Age: Total War – The New Shadow (2.0b)

I installed the mod to my Rome: Total War Gold folder, and the DOS box process went smoothly without a hitch. My RTW is patched to 1.5 and my BI is patched to 1.6 When loading FATW, after the first menu thing (which looks really cool, btw), I get the following message:

Script Error in bi\ci/data/descr_sm_factions.txt, at line 56, column 1.

"horde_min_units": This feature is not supported"

And I know it is a clean version of RTW and BI because I just reinstalled the games this morning before downloading the mod.

Like I said, I installed the mod to my Rome: Total War Gold folder. Could it be that I was supposed to install it to the BI folder? I really don't know what I could've done wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that I have the Steam version of Rome: Total War Gold. Does that mean anything? Since I have the Steam version, what is my Target line supposed to be? Right now it is the following: C:\Games\Steam.exe -applaunch 4760 -nm -show_err -mod:bi\ci

Can someone help me, please? I really want to play this mod. It looks like a lot of fun.

Default Re: Having trouble with The Fourth Age: Total War – The New Shadow (2.0b)

Redsrock,

I also have the Steam installation, and FATW works fine on mine, so it should be doable. You installed it to the correct folder, but perhaps the problem is in the launching. Do you launch it from Steam? If so, put "-show_err -nm -mod:bi/ci" in "Set launch options" for RTW Gold in Steam.

Also, I don't know if that makes ANY difference, but your target line has a back slash between bi and ci, whereas mine has a forward slash.

Default Re: Having trouble with The Fourth Age: Total War – The New Shadow (2.0b)

Nope, that didn't work. I went into the descr_sm_factions text and took out all the horde units, just to see if that did anything. It actually worked. I got all the way to the provincial campaign menu where I could pick my faction. Then I tried to select one of the factions (can't remember which) and the game immediatly crashed. So, I know it has something to do with the horde units. For some reason it's telling me that that particular unit isn't supported, and I don't know why.

You say you have the Steam version as well? I want to run the mod from its desktop shortcut. Tell me, please: What do you have exactly for the following on your desktop shortcut (the mod's shortcut):

Target Type:
    Target Location:
    Target:

Start in:

Also, is there anything I need to do in Steam to get the mod to work? I tried the slash thing you suggested but that didn't do anything at all.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

There is nothing wrong with horde units - the game is complaining because it is not installed correctly. Others have had this message iirc.

I do not have Steam (I did have it but then got rid of it due to it being slow and unreliable) so cannot help. There is a link for Steam users and FATW somewhere...

Anyone find it?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Hmm... do you think I should reinstall Rome: Total War Gold then? I just reinstalled it this morning, so...

Wow... I feel like a complete idiot. I was trying to launch the game through RTW and not BI! Silly me... it all works now that I'm running it through BI like I was supposed to. Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks everyone who tried to help.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Glad you got it working
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Yep, me too. It's awesome so far. I'm pwning with Rohan.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but what is BI and how do I launch RTW through it?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbin_Megroin View Post
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but what is BI and how do I launch RTW through it?!?!?!?!?!?

I get this error also when I try to open the game. It gets to the loading screen and then this happens:

BI is Barbarian Invasion, RTW's expansion. It is required for the mod to work.

If you don't have BI, you can use the RTW-only version of TNS. YOu can find the files, information and installation instructions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    BI is Barbarian Invasion, RTW's expansion. It is required for the mod to work.

If you don't have BI, you can use the RTW-only version of TNS. YOu can find the files, information and installation instructions here.
    Ah thank you. I will get right on that.

hi, im having same problem as first guy but, when ever i run the game from steam or short cut it says that, but when i run it from steam, it opens as the regular verison of rome, and with nothing of the mod...
    ps. im not that good with modding so many things could have happened, but im sure i installed it right,... please help

Are you trying to run TNS, or the newest form of the mod (Dominion of Men)? The latter is the version that is currently supported.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...