Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Was the Revolutionary War right or wrong?

Default Re: Was the Revolutionary War right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Thats the way Im leaning.... The British Government was a generally good government... And no doubt the modern ideas would have changed them for the better as time progressed... I see a world dominated by one fair government much better than what we have today...
    Speaking as someone with plenty of Irish blood, get bent.

The Brits had a jolly good time raping, pillaging, and murdering their way through most of the world, and I for one can't imagine how anyone could possibly be confused as to the rightness of the Revolution.

You need look no further than the desperation with which Ireland and Scotland, the last remaining colonial possessions of that savage people, have fought to free themselves from bloody England's tenacious hand, for proof of how "civilized" the English are.

I also can absolutely not agree on that point. If we go a little further with Ideas like that, we could say things like: "If Nazi-Germany would have won the WWII, and conquered the world, we would now live in Total-Peace"

Dangerous ideas IMHO.

Praepositus

But I do agree on the fact that we are all humans... imperfect...

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Lol i wasnt proclaiming that the British were God sent... But I think they were generally a nicer government than the majory at the time... and with time and modern ideals it would have gotten better...

Haha mainly I would love a sneak peak into the alternative future lol with America still a colony... Same as I would also love to what the world would have been like if Napoleon had succeed in Russia.

I was refering to RB's post mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon221 View Post
    You need look no further than the desperation with which Ireland and Scotland, the last remaining colonial possessions of that savage people, have fought to free themselves from bloody England's tenacious hand, for proof of how "civilized" the English are.
    Wind your neck in, the Republic got it's independance and Scotland would be crippled if it left the union.
    Last edited by Chesh; July 09, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
    'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by The Donz View Post
    I also can absolutely not agree on that point. If we go a little further with Ideas like that, we could say things like: "If Nazi-Germany would have won the WWII, and conquered the world, we would now live in Total-Peace"

Dangerous ideas IMHO.
    It's also entirely fallous to equate British Imperialism with Nazism. The British never once sought to purposely exterminate a race or religion (though some, including myself, would argue they took advantage of famines in Ireland to let "natural accidents" kill or drive off many of the Irish). The British Government was very benevolent in comparison to the regimes of its rivals, and I gave some examples earlier. But this is not about a British World Imperium, nor about such an Imperium being equal to what the Nazis had planned to build. It is about the US illegally repudiating the legitimate authority of their rightful sovereign His Majesty King George III.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Claremorris View Post
    [...] equate British Imperialism with Nazism.
    I didn't. I just made an exaggerated compairsion, to make clear that I don't like the direction this discussion was heading.

It is about the US illegally repudiating the legitimate authority of their rightful sovereign His Majesty King George III.

Absolutely. Go Ahead and discuss it then.

Praepositus

should we head this off to another thread lolol... anyway, we have gotten far in this discussion haven't we.... it seems the American Revolution is an interesting thing to talk about, isn't it...

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Yeah we should keep it civil guys lol....

it seems the American Revolution is an interesting thing to talk about, isn't it...
    Im learning heaps lol. Very interesting... Could someone give me a play by play of the battles and who won etc?

Im learning heaps lol. Very interesting... Could someone give me a play by play of the battles and who won etc?
    I think that would take an exceedingly long amount of time. But I can try detailing at least some things starting tomorrow.

In terms of general statistics, more of the battles were British-won than rebel-won, and the British took fewer casulaties overall than the rebels.

No bias intended, it's statistical information.

Praepositus

what major changes happened with how the colonies lived after the Revolution?

more freedom to the people

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    Well for one thing, the colonies could legally trade with any other nation after they achieved independence. Under Britain's mercantilist system the colonies were only allowed to provide markets for the home economy, and to supply that economy with raw materials. After the British yoke was thrown off, the Americans could produce their own finished products, and thus become more prosperous and competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    Some good, some bad.

Their government was incompetent, there was a feeling of hatred between many people in the North and South, Washington for whatever reason banned alcohol entirely, and war veterans never got their pay.

If you look at it, the only good sides to their rebellion was trade and slightly more freedom.

On an off-topic note, it's interesting if you compare the Civil War to the Revolution. The colonists claimed they wanted freedom, the South claimed they wanted freedom. The colonists however believed they deserved "special treatment" from England, and wrongly rebelled against their sovereignty. The South just wanted freedom and less harassment from the North.

The colonist rebel on false beliefs, they're considered heroes. The South rebels under reasonable beliefs, they're considered scum. In my opinion, America is the most hypocritical nation there is and has ever been.

thealmightyzorg's Avatar Tiro

OT: Speaking as a man born and raised in North Carolina, I think most of the prejudices resulting from the Civil War about the South are stemmed from lack of overall knowledge, not hypocracy. The Civil War had many causes, the one we all know about being slavery. Most Confederate states wished to keep slavery, and as such are looked upon as being bigotted and the obvious "bad guy" of the war. But when you look at the overall scope of things, the South wanted slavery because they were the ones who needed them. Now I'm not advocating slavery, but this is the reason many think of if asked about the Civil War, and it brings a terrible negative connotation to the Confederacy.

As for the remark about false beliefs, I'm afraid I don't understand. Their response of war was one of desperation after a stream of acts that they deemed unacceptable, and rightly so. The Boston Massacre, a name coined by Paul Revere, was an act of violence resulting in the deaths of five protesters. While the Bostonians were begining to turn boisterous, it was populized as an unprovoked act of violence by propogandists and helped spark the flame of rebellion. This and the famous "taxation without representation" brought the tension in New England to a breaking point, and six years after the Massacre, the war began. By the way, do you really blame them for being held as heroes? They helped establish the country we live in today, which to anyone would seem an act worthy of praise.
    IVIVIVI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXI
    The Almighty Tower of Zorg

The wonderful thing about Zorgs, is that I'm the only one!

If you looked at what happened before the Boston Massacre started, the colonists were pelting British town guards with rocks, sticks, etc.. The British had a right to shoot the colonists. They comitted an act of violence and treason against their home country, and deserved such punishment.
    Last edited by RuleBritannia; July 15, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

thealmightyzorg's Avatar Tiro

But Great Britain was not considered their home country anymore. They considered themselves British, but not subjects of His Majesty. Their opinion was that the king had no right to rule them from thousands of miles away; not without their own representation at least. Also, mistreatment of British guards was rampant and unpleasant, but to think that the five citizens "deserved it" is a gross thought. They were throwing snowballs while the Redcoats were throwing lead.
    IVIVIVI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXI
    The Almighty Tower of Zorg

The wonderful thing about Zorgs, is that I'm the only one!

Praepositus

this discussion has taken an interesting turn eh guys??