Thread: History Coursework suggestions

Default History Coursework suggestions

Hello people!

I was given my a AS history coursework the other day and I was told it can be any piece of world history from 768AD up until now.

Well, any suggestions? I'm at a bit of a loss. The question you can make up yourself apparently (nothing too stupid please!). It can focus on military aspects not just only political ones.

Cheers
    Last edited by {H0sPiTalLeR}; June 16, 2005 at 01:01 PM.

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

how about some of the topics being discussed in the fingerprints forum.
    The role christianity played in the fall of the wetsern roman empire and the survival of the eastern roman empire is a good start maybe.
    You might also be able to discuss the role of the phalanx, when it really died out and why
    Another one that i find interesting is the German army in Africa during WW1. 30,000 native troops led by German officers tied up a quarter of a million British troops that could have shortened the war on the western front considerably had they been available. The germans were hailed as heros when they returned after Germany lost the war. Question: Why was the German Army in Africa during WW1 so effective and what would have happened in Africa and Europe had they been neutralised?

moved to fingerprints - you'll get a lot more help there
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Thanks a bunch marshal Qin - some excellent ideas there. The fall of the western rmn empire sounds good to me...

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

The ones iits easy to get good marks on are rarely the same as the interesting ones. The trick is to find a subject that is fairly coherant and straightforward and appeals to you. Don't do one which is easy, but doesn't interest you, because you'll never do any work on it. I learned this the hard way (twice). Your title shold always be a question, it makes it easier to write an answer that way!

Sugestions:
    What was the effect of the Black Death on the political economy of (insert country)?
    Why did the Vikings leave Scandinavia? (just fits into the time frame)
    Was the French Revolution inevitable in 1790? (or any date you like, this question works for any revolution/civil war you're interested in)
    Why was the order of (insert order of monastic knights e.g. Templar, Tuetonic) established, what were its aims and did it achieve them?
    Does (X monarch) dserve the title 'the great'(or any other title they might have)?
    What was the legacy of the Mongol conquests?
    To what extent were the European wars of religion really about religion?

The last project I did for this period was 'To what extent was the Ottoman Empire already 'the dead man of Europe' in 1750?' Which is a pretty interesting one if you like economic history and the study of political systems.

edit: Qin, notice the time frame; Phalanx and western Roman Empire are out. Also, I advise against doing 'speculative history' (what would have happened if) becasue teachers tend to hate that sort of thing since its not really history at all.
    Last edited by Bovril; June 16, 2005 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovril
    The ones iits easy to get good marks on are rarely the same as the interesting ones. The trick is to find a subject that is fairly coherant and straightforward and appeals to you. Don't do one which is easy, but doesn't interest you, because you'll never do any work on it. I learned this the hard way (twice). Your title shold always be a question, it makes it easier to write an answer that way!

Sugestions:
    What was the effect of the Black Death on the political economy of (insert country)?
    Was the French Revolution inevitable in 1790? (or any date you like, this question works for any revolution/civil war you're interested in)
    Why was the order of (insert order of monastic knights e.g. Templar, Tuetonic) established, what were its aims and did it achieve them?
    Does (X monarch) dserve the title 'the great'(or any other title they might have)?

The last project I did for this period was 'To what extent was the Ottoman Empire already 'the dead man of Europe' in 1750?' Which is a pretty interesting one if you like economic history and the study of political systems.
    Christ!! It's just like my history teacher is on the forums!!! Love the ideas - especially "Why was the order of (insert order of monastic knights e.g. Templar, Tuetonic) established, what were its aims and did it achieve them?" Might think about doing that one!! - It's the sort of thing that those geeky teachers like - aims, success, failiure etc...

Thanks Bovril!! great help!! :wink:

OOps yeah... Suppose M Qin and I were getting a little over excited abou the phalanx etc!! Times out...
    Last edited by {H0sPiTalLeR}; June 16, 2005 at 01:41 PM.

Would Alexander beat Hanni...oops, wrong time period.

I once did a 15 pager on the effects of the Spanish Inquisition and the expulsion of Moors and Jews from Spain. Quite interesting actually.

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Default Ottoman

I strongly second the fall of the Ottoman Empire. The intermingling of European politics/diplomacy into Eastern ones and the factor religion played are fascinating. The Crimean War 1851-1854 (the peak of Euro interest in the already crumbling empire) is essential in my mind to fully understand international relations heading into WW1, and out of it with the Paris Peace Conference of 1919.

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovril

Sugestions:

edit: Qin, notice the time frame; Phalanx and western Roman Empire are out. Also, I advise against doing 'speculative history' (what would have happened if) becasue teachers tend to hate that sort of thing since its not really history at all.
    -Well, the phalanx died out after gunpoweder was invented, the swiss were pretty well feared throughout europe for their pikemen
    -The discussion would be about Chritianity and Byzantium but in order to fully understand it you would need to go into the fall of the western roman empire and what role Christianity had to play, if any, there.
    -fair enough about speculative history, but that German army sure was interesting.
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Thanks a lot for the ideas lads - really a great help. Still aint decided what to do though!!
    Keep em coming

Tell me, what period is the Lecturer/Teacher interested in? Yes he will hold you to a higher standard than your fellow students, but he will also read and appraise your work accordingly so.

Most important, don't submit plagiarised drivel, but challenge the fellow on concepts that he holds dear.And for goodness sake include a bibliography of any reference texts/websites you read. This will give your dissertation substance.

Remember this and good luck!
    Last edited by OG Grenadier; June 19, 2005 at 07:22 PM.
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."
    — Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Grenadier
    Tell me, what period is the Lecturer/Teacher interested in? Yes he will hold you to a higher standard than your fellow students, but he will also read and appraise your work accordingly so.

Most important, don't submit plagiarised drivel, but challenge the fellow on concepts that he holds dear.And for goodness sake include a bibliography of any reference texts/websites you read. This will give your dissertation substance.

Remember this and good luck!
    Thanks buddy!! Well my teacher is a pro at modern world histroy, 'Nam, WWI WWII, Russia + American cold war, unification of Germany in the 1800's (Bismark). And a whole load of other stuff I'd imagine...

Yup - we've got to include a bibliography and footnotes - thats a must.

Thanks again!

In that case why not try something like the Ideals of German Nationalism. From Charlemagne to the Berlin wall. It vould be a brief outline on the various occuastions that the German nations where swept with a Nationilistic pirde. What where the reassons? Who where the role models? What challagnes did they face. that sort of thing.
    If you chose this one I can recomanded a good but odd book to read.

I concur. That should hit him right between the eyes. Ultimately work a period that you may have a modicum of interest in. Don't be afraid to use your imagination , introduce a couple of "what ifs" (the ramifications of certain historical events, had they been/not been ,committed by/or involved by certain Countries or individuals) and follow them through to a consistent logical conclusion. I cannot emphasize this enough, make the reader THINK, and you are halfway there.

Interpretation of history is largely supposition. Yes some facts maybe irrefutable but one must be imaginative. It's the only way the study of History (or Archeology for that matter evolves.

Consider opening your essay with a quotation like "Imagination is more important than intellect", Albert Einstein. It sets the tempo wonderfully and at once informs the reader of what's in store.........

You know, citing the 9/11 Commission when they presented their findings to the American people, a Senator (whose name eludes me) mentioned Tom Clancys name 3 times. To paraphrase "had our Intelligence Agencies used even a fraction of the imagination of Tom Clancy in one of his novels, Sept 11th might have never occurred".

Imagination isn't just for the kids
    Last edited by OG Grenadier; June 21, 2005 at 08:18 PM.
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."
    — Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

What about the role of heresy in cementing the power of the Roman catholic church in the politcal structure of Western Europe