Thread: The Wheel of Time.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Default The Wheel of Time.

So I just got the first book, Eye of the World, in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
    Well basically I was seeing if any of you have read it, and if so, am I in for some good reading?

I'm into these books .... Sword of Shannarra/Terry Brooks, Drizzt books/Forgotten Realms/R.A. Salvatore, Dragonlance, Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr. And Bernard Cromwell's historical fictions. What should I expect in comparison?
    Last edited by raistlinmajere8; July 07, 2009 at 10:23 PM.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The Wheel of Time.

Jordan's writing style is somewhat so so, and the world is at times uninspired. (though very detailed)

However, his books just scream enthusiasm in my opinion. You feel he loves what he writes about.
    Personally I love them, it's the basic average Joe becomes world conquering Hero to defeat bad guy story. But it's one of the best ones with that storyline.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

I love the Wheel of Time but I have to say the best part of the series is by far book 1 to about 5 or 6. After that he drags things out too much and it feels like there's too many irrelevant characters and storylines being introduced. He could've wrapped the series up at about book 7 or 8 but for some reason he kept going and it sort of feels like he's writing for the sake of writing. The later books aren't necessarily bad, just a bit overdone.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Same here, first 4 or 5 are excellent and really favorites of mine back then, after that he is just losing himself in the greater plot. And he keeps on describing dresses and tea/pipesmoking party's And I think mr Jordan secretly tried to undermine woman's rights and emancipation because every single female person in the books acts and thinks like an arrogant spoiled child with no common sense at all, I honestly think that all femal chapters can seriously damage a 12 year old boys respect for female's.

Anyway I found the later books the be better again, for me it's especially around parts 6, 7 and 8 which is the hard part to crack.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

Jordan said himself that in hindsight there was a break in the action and quality, mainly because of too many former sideshow characters taking up too much pages.
    People want to know about Rand, Mat and Perrin mainly. All the other characters can at times be interesting, but it just becomes too much at times, and makes the progress towards Tarmon Gai'don too slow

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Are all the books released yet? I gave up on them a while ago becuase I had read all the released books and then didn't have time to buy the new one. Therefore I am waiting for the series to be finished before I get the next one.

Last one is still being written and will be released in 3 parts. First of those three id coming out in November.

It was going to be one book originally, but when Jordan died the new writer Sanderson wasn't really keen on doing a 2000 page volume in one book.

Its been awhile since I read those books. I made the mistake of reading the entire series at once. kind off made everything seem to blend together. But overall I enjoyed them very much.
    Sophisticated dragon

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I think the 1st comic comes out today, like all book to comics I'll probably flip through it but ultimately avoid buying it.

I agree, the books dragged in the middle, then got really good, great rising action until, Jordan dies. I so hope they finish the series in a satisfying way.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

I really like them, just started the third one a few days ago. I love all those huge fantasy worlds like Lord of the Rings etc.

I'm really hoping someone will do a total war mod for it...

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo Merrychap View Post
    I really like them, just started the third one a few days ago. I love all those huge fantasy worlds like Lord of the Rings etc.

I'm really hoping someone will do a total war mod for it...
    I believe there where some plans once for a wheel of time mod for rome but I guess they silently passed away.

could be cool though, but they shouldn't make the mistake doing the mod at the time of the book but rather let the game start just after the death of arthur hawking (or something like that). The time of war after he's death decided the looks of the nations as they are during the book as well as the emergence of the whitecloaks.

You could just choose to play with one of he's generals or nations as they try to survive the war/reunite he's empire under your banner while the whitecloaks and aes sedai could be independant like the senate in rome or the pope in M2TW, they can give you quests and if you gain enough respect from one of them you could get some advantages out of it like a free army of whitecloaks or an aes sedai advisor threat for your generals.

Could be really nice. Only I'm afraid the WoT is way to much over it's height in popularity to make that mod happen.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis