Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Population Growth

Default Population Growth

How as Rome do I slow this down. Playing H campaign, medium battles. Huge units as well. Population growth is through the roof even though I don't build population growth improvements until military and economic buildings are up.

Default Re: Population Growth

Ive got the same problem with Parthia on H/H - every town goes berserk with squalor-based unrest despite being exterminated when conquored and no pop-upgrade buildings either .. the population rises and im constantly having to pay for 20 unit garrisons etc .. so yeah whats with this ? did 1.5 have a higher growth than Vanilla?

I think RS has a higher growth in general, maybe according to the city mod.
    My suggestions:
    1) Always relocate/massacre newly conquered cities
    2) If you see population going up to fast in unhappy/far away cities, build suburbs/villages etc. They slow down pop growth at least a bit and generate extra money - I did so in my Roman campaign and it worked well.
    3) Check for pop growth buildings when conquering cities. Many cities have them already built, so you have to destroy them.
    4) Build great markets (great agora/whatever), so that you can build grain import facilites. They improve public health and happiness essentially and are not too expensive to build.

chaney's Avatar Decanus

High taxes especially for the Roman homeland dont put taxes on very high or youll get corruption , High is just right
    this will slow it down a bit
    RIP Calvin

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble
    . - Augustus Caeser

“It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.” - Genghis Khan

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Other tips:
    1) Put a spy and an assassin in your border cities. Enemy spies can easily cause a 20-25% decrease in city happiness.
    2) You can play around with the placement of your capital. If a certain region has a lot of unrest, make it your capital for a while.
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Unless you're Rome, in which case you should never move your Capital on principle.
    (Yeah, they DID move the capital eventually, but that was after our timeframe, so it doesn't count - besides, the empire was going down the pan then anyways. )
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

PurPul's Avatar Tiro

Suburbs and cities can kill population growth. In the late game, thats a good thing.
    And exteriminate all cities!

Quote Originally Posted by thebull0425 View Post
    ..... I don't build population growth improvements until military and economic buildings are up.
    Unless your city is literally running out of people, don't build the population growth buildings at all, and always demolish them once your population has stabalized. They have a nasty habbit of causing unrest and squalor in your towns, and there wont be much you will be able to do about it.

However, after demolishing the population growth buildings the first few turns it will actually be worse - as the population buildings add happiness as well, though the growth almost immediately drops down to a negative value and your city will stabalize over time and reach an appropriate growth level in accordance with the level of the town. (city, large city etc.)

In larger cities, use the negative population growth buildings, they will help.
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

I made a mistake, I was playing with Large units, so I changed it to Huge units, and my cities are all getting huge. By the time I get it to the level were I can reduce population growth, I they are big already. Doesn't sound like I can do much about it, so it's all good, I'll deal.

if a city is getting to many people in it just let it rebel take it back and massacre the place always works for me

Atheist
    Quantum physics
    Paleonthology
    RSII Betatester
    Ultimate irony Quote by total relism:
    -this is the number one tactic of evolutionist hand waving they close there ears and eyes to any evidence they do not want to here.

Medieval American's Avatar Decanus

Bring in the plague carriers to kill the population. Go to some North African cesspool take a general that is expendable and bring him back to a province that needs to have the population slightly reduced for a short period of time.

use spies they r fast & more expendable plague carriers i use them all the time

is there no way of the modders of allowing us to kill the population before the rebels take over im sure they wouldnt wait in real life, they would kill the leaders and many rebels before they lost the city surely.

so is there no way of implementing this in RSII?

Nope, because of the way the RTW engine works, there's no way to implement a "crackdown".
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

just build more troops, that uses the population and then send them on suicice missions if you cant afford the upkeep.
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    Unless you're Rome, in which case you should never move your Capital on principle.
    (Yeah, they DID move the capital eventually, but that was after our timeframe, so it doesn't count - besides, the empire was going down the pan then anyways. )
    Well, if my empire was going down the drain, I won't mind moving the capital to Byzantium.

Gez's Avatar Tiro

You can always build the de-population buildings. They do work, it's just that there are other reasons for your increase in population. It's worth a try.
    -RS2 Trait & Ancilliary Dev/Beta Tester-

one thing to remember, as i have just found myself, is that if you are playing rome and enjoying taking captives when you sack a city, that soon starts to add up and you suddenly notice that your population has started to grow quite rapidly without you noticing it. and its all well and good when you have a great govenor but when he dies and he will die, exactly when you dont wont him too, you know when you dont have a glut of family members just sitting around in Rome, then you will find that it becomes a huge problem. a good move is to check building requirements for each city upgrade and make sure you have them, as this hepls to reduce unrest.
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Just recruit bucketloads of troops and disband them in some foreign country, easy as that.

Medieval American's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    Just recruit bucketloads of troops and disband them in some foreign country, easy as that.

Does that actually work???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast