View Poll Results: Will you be going to the funeral of MJ ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I will be their

0 0%
  • I want to, but they won't let me in.

0 0%
  • I will see it form tv

5 22.73%
  • I don't want to go and I will not see it on tV

17 77.27%

Thread: Will you be going to the funeral of MJ ? !Historical artickel!

Icon12 Will you be going to the funeral of MJ ? !Historical artickel!

Mj funeral. post vote.
    ------------------------------------
    I want to apologies for my other thread about the Dark Ages that I admit was wrong and stupid. I want to make it up to you guy's with this. I hope you have an nice read, and learned a thing or two from this article.

The Entertainment in Ancient Times

1.The Roman Theatre

The Roman Theatre its origin and ideas of what you could do of activities and watch came from:

-Greeks

1)The Greeks started making colonies in the south of Italy some time ago before Rome was created. They influenced Rome in many different ways, including the design and activities of an theatre. So Rome took most of the ideas we know of a theatre from the Greeks, it can be told that the theaters of the Romans aren't original. But they are still very well constructed with beautiful art. The theatre games where also taken over from the Greeks, even the rules of how to play the games were similar to those in Greece.

-Etruscans

2)The Etruscans where already a well growing empire when Rome was growing in power. They are well know for there insight in making architecture art, music and literature. There architectural style was completely different then the style of the Greeks. The Etruscans were stronger then the Greeks at that time in Italy and so had many battles with Rome. Because of that many Etruscan ideals made there way into Rome itself. The Etruscans brought horse racing and popular civic activities to the Roman theatre.

-Oscans

3)The Ocans brought a comedy called Atettelan Farce to the theatre. There where 4 characters: (Maccus a boastful buffoon, a fool) - (Bucco a fool and stupid guzzler) - (Pappus a foolish old man) - (Dassenus a huchback, wise fool) and finally (Mandacus a monster with big jaws) Aldo there where typically four characters, it could be that the Romans added the last character Mandacus. These stock characters where the idea for the typical Roman play's stock character.

1.1 The Design and layout of a Roman Theatre

A Roman theatre existed of a backstage area, seating places where the audience could sit on and view the games, and an orchastra. It took a long time in Roman history before they reached the stage we know of today. The first theaters that appeared existed simple of wood, the layout of the stage was the same as in later stone stages. There where 3 doors each opening to the brother, temple, and hero's house. The stage structure itself was inclosed by wings at each side and the scene house had a roof.
    The large stone theatres that appeared in the late Republic seated tens of thousands of Romans. Most plays were comedies and a few tragedies, but with tragedies there would be only one door "the temple".

1.2 The Stage

The plays were all basically the same, no stage was different then one and a other. They all contained some sort of mistaken identity, three doors, 4-5 stock characters who wear masks. The doors would lead to the brothel (stage right), temple (center stage), and the hero's (young man), house (stage left). Since the plays were done outside the characters heard only what they needed to hear. If someone was eavesdropping, they would stand near the speaking characters and the speaking character just wouldn't see them.

This Roman theatre near Antalya is the best preserved theatre of all in the world.

Other well preserved theaters also made by the Romans.

Sources: http://www.theatredatabase.com/ancient/roman_theatre_001.html / http://www.angelfire.com/ut/latiniii/history.html / http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/staff/darlenebishop/rome/RomanTheatre.html

2.The Greek theatre

As you can see the Romans actually made a copy of the original ancient Greek theatre. But the acting and spectacles are of course not the same, but many things look the same and are the same about the Roman and Greek theatre. All have a half circle and a half round stone bench. And at the back of the half circle where the circles stops there is the place where the preform the stage. For the Romans the temple, brothel, hero's house.

2.1 Foreword

Greek tragedies and comedies were always performed in open areas in the city centers or against a hill. Against those hills the audience could stand or sit while they could view the comedians that entertain them with singing about the exploits of a god or hero. This mostly remained the same but from the late 6th century BC to the 4th and 3rd centuries BC there was a huge change to the structure of a theatre. The basic layout of the theatre didn't change however.

2.2 Parts of a Greek Theatre

a)The orchestra standing for: (dancing space) that was normally circular. It was a round space where the act and plays would be done, dance, sing, and interact by the actors who were on the stage near the skene. The first orchestras that appeared in Greece were made of hard earth, but latter on in the Classical period some orchestras would have been made with other materials. Like stone for example. In the middle of an Orchestra there was often a thymele or altar.

b)The Theatron meaning: (viewing place) is where the spectators sat. The theatron was mostly build on a higher ground, a hill. And often wrapped around a large portion of the orchestra. Spectators in the fifth century BC probably sat on cushions or boards, but latter on in the 4th century they had marble seats.

c)The Skene meaning: (tent) was the building behind the stage (Orchestra). The theatre of Dionysus in Athens was probably raised only two or three steps above the level of the orchestra, and was maybe 25 feet wide and 10 feet deep. The Skene was usually decorated as a palace, temple or any other building, depending on the location and needs of the play. There was also access to the rooftop from behind the skene. It was interesting for actors who were playing Gods or any other characters, such as the watchman Agamemnon who could appear on the rooftop if it was needed in the plays.

d)The Parodos standing for (passageways) are the paths by which actors could move fast wihout any problems to parts of the stage or on the roof. Such as those representing messengers or people that are returning from abroad made their entrances and exits trough the Parodos. The audience also used them to enter and exit the theatre before and after the show-plays.

A detailed sketch of a Greek theatre like it was in ancient Greece. This is not a 100% copy but it looks very similar to what it must have been or form what we can see of the remains.

2.3 A list of people who worked or where responsible for the smooth running of the plays and the clothes of an actor.

Archon : Official of the city in charge of organizing the festival
    Hypocrit: Actor
    Kothornoi: Boots used by the actors
    Onkos: A Mask with a high head piece
    Parodos. Entrance to the Orchestra
    Prohedria: Stone seats
    Program: First day comedies, The next three days three tragedies and one satyr play

(Not complete list.)

A very detailed map of Greece showing all locations of the ancient theaters. As you can see most theaters are very close to the south in Greece.

Sources: http://academic.reed.edu/humanities/...r.html#origins / http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/LX/GreekTheater.html

3. The Odeon

3.1 The Odeon of Herodes Atticus

This well preserved Odeon in Athens is one of the best in all of Greece. Aldo mostly reconstruced. The Odeon of Herodes Atticus was built by Herodes Atticus (from there the name of the Odeon) in honour of his wife Regilla, who had died. The odeon served for concerts and plays in ancient Athens. There are 5 000 seats in the odeon. What was left from the original structure is a large stone wall behind the reconstruced stage.
    Each year there is a festival held on the stage of the Odeon. It is a great cultural event in Greece to where many people come every year. The odeon was built between 160 and 174 BC.
    The purpose of the odeon started again from 1867 and continued on this very day. The seats and stage were replaced in the 1950s.

3.2 Ancient Odeon's in Greece

3.3 Architecture of an Odeon and its origin

The Odeon other name: music room, which in its interior was full of seats and ranges of pillars, and outside had an roof made to slope and descend from one single point at the top, was constructed, we are told in imitation of the king of Persia's pavilion. This wad done by Pericles's order. When the Odeon of Pericles was excavated it turned out to have almost the same dimensions as the Hall of the Hundred Columns at Persepolis, the capital of the Achaemenid empire.

The Odeon of Pericles measured 68,50 x 62,40 meters and contained 9 x 10 columns, but this is the very strange thing. The room of the Persepolis palace had 10 x 10 columns and measured (68,50 x 68,50 meters) Almost exact the same dimensions as the Odeon of Pericles. The pavilion must have been a copy of the Hall of the Hundred Columns, and the Odeon must have been a copy of this copy. It should be told however that this Persian example was not really followed in Greek and Roman architecture. Later odeons like those of Agrippa, Domitian and Herodus Atticus were not not square halls but little theaters.

3.4 Roman Odeon's

3.5 The Roman Odeon of Kos

The Odeon found at Kos by the Romans build around the 2nd and the 3rd centuries. It was found in the arly 20th century along with the Gymnasium and the Roman baths, all in a very good condition. Altough the odeon has been restored, its first nine rings of seats are still the original marble ones. After a landing the Odeon has five other rings of seats made of granite. It currently has a total number of 18 rings of seats. (Rings=Rows)
    The floor, wings, and orchestra were also found in a good condition.

Sources: http://www.greeka.com/dodecanese/kos...oman-odeon.htm / Source 2 / http://heritage-key.com/site/odeon-herodes-atticus / http://www.livius.org/ia-in/influence/influence03.html

4.The Amphitheater

4.1 The purpose and origins of an Amphitheater

The most known Amphitheater is the Colosseum in Rome, but there where many different amphitheaters trough out the Roman Empire. The first gladiatorial fights where held in Etruscan times. Anywhere there was a flat place near a hill, would serve a excellent location for this fights. The hill was used for people to sit and watch the fights being held down on the flat area.
    But around 300 BC it changed and rich men and city governors started to build temporary wooden amphitheaters for people to sit in. They were called amphitheaters because they were built like two theaters facing each other.

4.2 The Amphitheater of Capua Vettere

It took 10 years (from 30 BC -1 AD) to construct the amphitheater of Capua. Throughout the structure there are stairways and ramps. The elevators brought the animals, gladiators and scenery up from the vaulted chambers beneath the arena. Above you can see what still remains of the once great structure.
    The remains of the amphitheater stand naked as most of the marble has vanished The amphitheater had originally four tiers. This is Italy's second largest amphitheater. It is 170 meters long and 140 meters wide. Cicero wrote that 100 000 people could seat there, but modern archaeologists claim that only 50 000 spectators could seat inside the amphitheater.

Above you can see the arena floor. Notice the curbs at the tops of the channels, timbers were placed acroos the tops of the channels to seal them off, then they were coverd with sand to create the large arena floor. Over time those timber plates where gone creating the pic above.

4.3 The Colosseum of Rome

The amphitheater of Rome (Colosseum) was already visited by tourist in the first century AD as an attraction until the present day. Up until the late first century BC gladiatorial combats were held in a forum, or the Circus Maximus, and at other sites of course. When the games were held in the forum, wooden stand were put up for a short time during the games. In 53 BC, the politician Curio (or one of his architects) had an interesting idea.
    Curio had two semi-circular wooden stands built on a pivot. The spectators in each were treated in the morning to a different theatrical presentation, but in the afternoon the two sets of stands were swiveled about so that they together formed an oval. And so the amphitheater was born, but the first stone amphitheater in Rome was built by Statilius Taurus in 29 BC.

109 years latter It was dedicated in 80 AD by the emperor Titus to build the Colosseum, the name "Colosseum" came from a colossal statue of Nero that was located in the area near the amphitheater. The Colosseum was built by the Flavian dynasty Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian.
    The amphitheater was a microcosm of Roman society. The seatings arrangements reflected the stratification of Roman society. On a large podium the emperor had a special box and senators sat on marble seating divided into fourteen sections. Next came teh members of the equestrian order, who sat in the lowest tier of the amphitheater. onsisting of twelve rows of marble seating divided into sixteen sections.

The status of a senator determined in what section he sat on the podium, as did that who was of equestrian rank. In the minds of the Romans, the amphitheater was a place of significant symbolic meaning. The victory of civilization over lawlessness, chaos, barbarism, and savagery was regularly enacted. It was also a place of Justice. Certain criminals were thrown to the beasts or were forced to fight against trained experienced gladiators. It also represented the domination of Rome above its enemies. The prisoner that the Romans took during war were either executed or forced to fight each other as gladiators. For the professional gladiator the amphitheater was a place of redemption, fame, glory, and surviving and one could overcome death by victories or by stoically accepting death.
    There where amphitheaters spread trough out the empire representing the high civilization of the Romans while in other part not in the Roman empire barbarism and chaos ruled.

Sources: http://touritaly.org/tours/capua/amp01.htm / http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/cl...r/amphthtr.htm / Source 3 / http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/...phitheater.htm

This is not the end of this article more will be edited and follow.

5.The Circus.

---------------------------------------
    en elkaar opvolgende machthebbers:

Marius

Sulla

Pompeius

Crassus

Julius Caesar

Antonius

Octavianus
    Last edited by webMaster412160; October 02, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Default Re: Will you be going to the funeral of MJ ?

Yes, I got front row seets ofcourse.
    Might watch it, none of your bussiness.

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

Lol! I maybe gone watch it ,don't know.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

No, I can't because I live a million miles away and second I won't see it because I don't really care that much even if I liked some of his songs.

Still.... R.I.P

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

I think over a week of almost non stop coverage of the man is enough, no need to watch a few hours more.

Nope, I will not, better things to do.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

The guy is irrelevant to me

so no.

(and btw: this a pretty stupid topic for a thread)
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

It's a load of bollocks.

I'm not going and I'm not watching it on TV. I share Manco's feelings on the matter, though it is always sad to hear of someone's passing....even MJ's...

Default Re: Will you be going to the funeral of MJ ? Contest!!!!!

I think it's terrible with all the bad rep he's got now, and people having contests almost celebrating that he's dead...??

Why did you post here ? This tread is dead. What you see is not real.

Lol I can never get enough of that picture, if only I could use it for everything
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!