wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Default Re: Show your empires

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    WTF 60k corruption? daaaamn
    Yeah. And King's Purse? 3000

Under the patronage of m_1512

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah, but nevertheless profit is over 100,000 per turn so I can live with that.
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

276 for merchants pathetic

thats like 0.1% of your income.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

yeah that merchant income could be somewhere near your normal trade income. not that you really need it

I suppose he have 1-2 merchants. And he doesn't need more, if he has such a huge income form trade.

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

How about reducing trade income and buffing the income from merchants.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    It would be good, IMO, because it would force the player to do something more than just building next tier economy buildings. In clandestino's campaign it looks somewhat weird - trade income is huge without merchants (I'm sure he doesn't have many); it looks artificial. So, yes, increasing merchants influence would make economical developement more interesting - and event of acquiring the resource would have the meaning...
    Also, king's purse looks silly, but it's a minor issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    Ok, i might sound like a bit of a thickie, but I'm playing as the Ghorids and my slave barracks seems to be top tier. I can get plenty of cav but not these home boys. I may be missing something. What city are you recruiting them from?
    I first got them in Ghazni after the citadel and slave barracks upgrade. I just got them now in Kabul after I got the large city and slave barracks upgrades.

Oh and ***** slap the Ghaznivids, they disapprove of your 22inch rim catapults

Quote Originally Posted by clandestino View Post
    Here's my joy and pride, Ghaznavid empire at it's peak
    Holy damn, you get +rep for sheer perseverance Where to from now? Anatolia?

Please not... merchants are one of the most annoying parts of the game. The whole special unit system is just so broken, but when my Priests lose faith, Spies die etc it doesn't bug me, because I don't rely on them...
    I hate merchants, I can have a 8 star guy with only 50% acquisition chance or so for a lumpy 3-4 star. On the other hand my fresh merchants from Constantinople, starting with 3-4, are fresh meat for the AI's killer merchants, while a similar hunt for me would end up being a reload-fest.
    In theory I like it, but the way it works I often think I rather have none at all. There I am with my high skilled merchants at the spices near Damascus, and the AI putting the 1-2 star ones on the dyes... hey nice, 95% acquisition chance, cool! Gonna get some coins... oh it backfired.
    And later on I find it very tedious to look for new resources which bring lots of money because I occupy all the nearest ones. And then I still have to send them all around manually, because of that "path blocked" which you get all the time when just relying on them to find their own way towards the resource...
    Ugh. I often really think it's more annoying than anything else.

But, of course, that's just me.

I suppose he have 1-2 merchants. And he doesn't need more, if he has such a huge income form trade.
    Actually I don't have a single merchant, I kept them in the beginning but then when it came to the point that I had to fight 10 or 15 battles every turn I simply stoped to pay attention on them, it's to exhausting. As someone said, it's not that I need them.
    Holy damn, you get +rep for sheer perseverance Where to from now? Anatolia?
    Yeah, first thanks everyone for rep, second yes I'm planing to attack ERE at the nort, first I'm going to take Telavi then I'll push it to the sea to Kutaisi and Ani, and then I'll turn to south to Trebizond and Anatolia while covering my advance with diversion attacks on Van from the south and Astrakhan in far north. But all that will take ages, they have at least 20 armies in the region and fighting them one by one takes hours. I hope that my idiotic Ayyubid allies will see their chance and attack ERE as well, that could make my job easier.

As someone said, it's not that I need them.
    Yeah, it's noticeable in your balance.
    But all that will take ages, they have at least 20 armies in the region and fighting them one by one takes hours.
    Maybe bribe them, then?

well if the players uses them right they can make a pretty good income even now. especially if your in a position where a lot of enemy merchants pass trough (e.g. abbasids).i explained how most of it works in a post in the KoJ strategy thread here. if you choose to use trade forts you can easily push your merchant income up to the levels of your normal trade income with just pumping out merchants and sending them to the forts. no other attention required.

so if you increase the value of merchants those who know about and choose to use trade forts will get a significant boost while others will probably just notice a big dent in their income.

but either way since the BC map is somewhat bigger than the vanilla map you may want to tweak the distance requirements for the WorldlyMerchant and ServesSelfMerchant traitlines.

Hi there, new to the forums
    Just downloaded the mod a couple of days ago but there are so many glitches
    Anyway, I noticed lot's of players are playing as either the KoJ or Ghaznavids....but atleast i can justify playing as the Ghaznavids since i was born only a couple of miles away from Ghazni

So here we go, (a little early so i'll update in the future):

From the writings of the biographer to Sultan Bahram.
    The lord of Ghazni had an ambition. An ambition to unite the people of Afghanistan and provide a better standard of living for them, if this meant conquering and sacking far off lands then so be it. He quickly began to recruit troops from his fortress and even found quite a few willing 'cheap' mercenary warriors aswell who shared his dream. Within a year he had ammased a respectable army ready to reclaim nearby settlements from the corrupt warlords. Baniyan and Gardez were already under his influence and their citizens provided much of the funds for the army even though they were relatively poor. The Sultan's first aim was to oust the weak lord of Firuzkuh. He marched his men(totalling nearly 1000 strong)unto the city and defeated the garrison there with relatively few casualties....only losing a fith of his army.
    From there he retrained his men and moved onto the cities of Balkh and then southwards to Herat. The general putting up quite a fight there killing almost half of the invading army but he lacked variety in his army and was eventually captured and executed by the Sultan's son. The heir noticed the small garrison in Kabul and marched unto it. Even though it was under Ghorid control and attacking it would cause great strain on their relationship with the Ghorid Sultanate but he thought nothing of it and felt that they were a weak people. Kabul was taken without difficulty. Meanwhile the Shah looked to expan northwawrds and north-west wards even though the city of Kandahar was not yet under Ghaznavid control. But nethertheless he moved onto the mountain city of termez and then Samarqand. A Khwarzmian emmisary sent a letter to Bahram telling him thatr they were deeply offended that they would enter territory of ethnic Central asians even if Samarqand was not under their control. They demanded that Bahram give them Samarqand unless he wanted an invasion. Bahram immediately replied saying "We will drink the blood of your children then spit it out onto your wives". Many invasions against Balkh and Samarqand from Bukhara ensued - all failed. The Shah of Khwarezm was witling down his own army and was soon eating his words. Bahram had had enough and marched his army onto Bukhara erradicating the troops there and executing the Shah's brother. From Herat his nephew also launched and attack against the town of Tus. After much of his army was spent attacking Bukhara attempting to reclaim it he also faced invasion from the Kypchak Confederacy. The agreement between the Ghaznavids and the Kypchaks to join forces in an alliance further worsened the Shah's position. He now begged for a cease-fire but Bahram coldly declined any and all offers. Meanwhile the towns of Kandahar and Bost to the south were taken and so was Quetta. The heir was again fielding an army to march on Peshawar to take the Fortress and use it as a stepping stone to launch offensives against further Pakistani territories. But when his troops eventually reached Peshawar they were confronted by an almighty Ghorid forceamounting to almost two thousand men. He could not turn back so he retreated into further Ghorid territory but was eventually confronted by the great army. This would be a a decisive battle. If the Ghorids win, they could stop Ghaznavid expansion for a long time to come and could invade the Ghaznavid empire themselves. But if the Ghaznavids win they will have destroyed a large portion of the enemy army resulting in an easy conquering of the Pakistani lands. After a long battle both sides were tired but the Ghaznavids were victorious and soon after took Peshawar, Pindi and the rest of the Ghorid's territories including the city of Mitankot which provided much wealth. Thus removing their dynasty from the face of the earth. The heir to the throne along with some of his favourite family members moved elite armies numbering over 3000 troops and took the cities of Lahore, Jalandhar and Delhi with very little difficulty losing few casualties yet gaining vast hordes of money from sacking and enslaving the populace. Thinking that the Rajputs were weak and seeing that Kannauj had a small garrison he sent over task-force of reasonable size but was not ready for what he was to face. The great Indian elephants towered above the walls, one soldier even calling them "moving killing houses". The army consisting of mainly light infantry and ranged levies and mounted Turcomans made short work of the weak infantry garrison but when the brave infantry charged the elephants - they were ripped to pieces. The general attempted a new tactic ordering his ranged troops to set greek fire against the elephants but that did little or no damage. The Indian Mahuraja stood firm and so the general sent his light cavalry to charge from behind but they were soon routed, yet hope had arrived in the form of ballista's. Accompanied with some light spears the reinforcements were timely and the general thanked Allah for this oppurtunity. He quickly ordered the men to light the ballista and aim at the elephants. One by one they fell, the Mahurajja being the third to die but still they were not dis heartened even at the loss of their leader. and so they charged the remaining infantry who held them long enough for the heir to move intob the city centre. The general seized the chanced and eventually took control of the city. This was by far the bloodiest battle the Ghaznavids had encountered and so would do well not to under estimate the power of elephants. They now lay seige to Ajmer and Kalinjar and if succsesful they will destroy the Rajputs. From there on the heir looks to conquer Sindh and the rest of India. Sultan Bahram is also close to destroying the Shah of Khwarezm and from there will build many powerful armies to rival those of the Seljuks and after the conquest of India the heir to the throne will conquer the Immamate of Oman and take sole control of the Indian Ocean which is bound to bring endless wealth to the Ghaznavid people.

I have drawn a map of what is planned

*the bit about the blood may have been exxajerated

sorry about it being so long, not bad for v.hard difficulty on my first campaign and it is only 1202
    Last edited by blokoman; July 24, 2009 at 05:32 AM.

Nice AAR mate, good start.
    Maybe bribe them, then?
    You wouldn't believe how much they ask, one guy asked me +800,000 and that was some pathetic army made of levy spearmen. But that's extreme, they usually ask around 100k and I ain't that rich.

Quote Originally Posted by blokoman View Post
    Hi there, new to the forums.
    Hi, nice too meet you, good AAR, give us more.
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestino
    You wouldn't believe how much they ask, one guy asked me +800,000 and that was some pathetic army made of levy spearmen.
    lol, it was some lunatic..
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestino
    But that's extreme, they usually ask around 100k and I ain't that rich.
    Well, now you even talk like a rich men - they never have enough money. You have 11 with six zeros, mate, 20x100k=2 000 000.

Meh, what's the fun with that, and for every army I bribe they will muster new one in a turn, so it's pretty much pointless, just waste of monney.

Meh, what's the fun with that, and for every army I bribe they will muster new one in a turn, so it's pretty much pointless, just waste of monney.
    It was a banter. You're right - bribing=no fun (in most cases).

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Nice empire there blokoman, will be interesting to see what will happen with it in like 20 years.
    @GV - please don't make significant changes to the trade system - some factions have problems with finding good resources and have to wait for many turns to get some cash from traders, while other like the ayyubids can get tons of money right away. I think that at the moment the trade is pretty much OK - if you want merchants to boost your income at the start it's possible, but it's ok too if somebody doesn't like this aspect of the game and can still survive.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

thanks guys

i bribed their last army for only 18,000.....bargain in my opinion considering it had some elephants

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by blokoman View Post
    Just downloaded the mod a couple of days ago but there are so many glitches
    Maybe explain what you mean with this?

I can't see that many glitches after 2.02!
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan