Thread: Mod-Foldering regions.esf and other campaign map data

Default Mod-Foldering regions.esf and other campaign map data

This is a tutorial that shows you how to make it that the regions.esf and the other campaign map data will be 'mod-foldered', ie there will be new files, and no original files will be overwritten. After this, I think only the startpos.esf will have to be mod-foldered for ETW mods to be completely mod-foldered. I understand that the regions.esf and other campaign map files are largely unused at the moment, because our knowledge about them is very limited, but I think that these files will hold the secret to adding new regions, expanding the map, and more, so I hope that it will be useful to get it mod-foldered early on.

If you're wondering what can be done with the regions.esf and the startpos.esf, check out HusserlTW's brilliant tutorial, which explains everything that can be done so far, and links to all other startpos.esf and region.esf related tutorials.

First of all, you will need the esf editor to do anything here.

The process is quite simple - you only need to do two things :

1) Go to : C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaign_maps and you will find 5 folders : episodic_one , episodic_map , episodic_map_2 , eppisodic_map_3 and global_map. episodic_one isn't used (as far as I know), episodic_map , episodic_map_2 and episodic_map_3 are use by the startposes for their relative RTI campaign, found under:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\episodic_1\startpos.esf (episode 1)
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\episodic_3\startpos.esf (episode 2)
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\episodic_5\startpos.esf
    (episode 3)

The fifth and final folder, global_map, is the one used for the Grand Campaign, and for RTI episode 4, found under

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main\startpos.esf (GC)
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main_2\startpos.esf (Episode 4)

Now create a new folder with all of the files for the map you are using, with whatever files you want changed; changed. The easiest way to do this (pretty obviously) is to simply copy and paste the global_map folder, and replace the files you want changed (most likely tobe regions.esf at the moment) with your own files. You must have all the files or it will not work! Change the name of the folder.

Your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaign_maps folder will probably look something like this now (I have called the new files 'global_map_test' for the purpose of this tutorial):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2) Open up the startpos.esf with the esf editor. Always make a backup of the file before you edit it! If you forget, and you want the vanilla startpos back, open up steam, go to the 'My Games' tab, right click ETW, go to properties, go to 'Local Files' tab, and 'Verify Game Cache!'. (Sorry about that .) The node you'll want to change is under:

main\startpos.esf\CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL\CAMPAIGN_MAP_DATA

Change the value so that is shows the location of your campaign map data folder, as in the picture:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Save, and quit. Now will only have to overwrite the startpos.esf when you are making your mod .

Enjoy!

Thanks to:
    just for the original esf editor.
    koras321 for his brillaint edition to the esf.editor
    husserlTW for his stunning startpos tutorial (and everyone credited for a starpos tutorial in his tutorial) and also for helping me test out this idea.
    demis14 for finding the first use for the regions.esf

Default Re: Mod-Foldering regions.esf and other campaign map data

Hooray! (I know I am late)

I got a question though:
    In CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO, the folder "global_map" is referenced. It propably just controls the map shown on the preselection screen, but shouldn't it be changed as well?
    Last edited by Lazy Knight; September 05, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Knight View Post
    Hooray! (I know I am late)

I got a question though:
    In CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO, the folder "global_map" is referenced. It propably just controls the map shown on the preselection screen, but shouldn't it be changed as well?
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit:

(I've posted wrong answer)

Let me check this since it is some time I've made the tests for Irmo.
    Last edited by husserlTW; September 05, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

I would change it just to be sure. Maybe it's necessary maybe it isn't but I don't think it can hurt.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.