View Poll Results: How often do you autoresolve?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Autoresolve? Me? NEVER!

4 8.16%
  • I autoresolve only if the odds favor me or the enemy overwhelmingly.

37 75.51%
  • I autoresolve most of the time; who cares about battles if economy and diplomacy are so much fun?

8 16.33%
  • Doesn't apply to me; I only play custom/multiplayer battles.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you autoresolve?

trueshadow21's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: How often do you autoresolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Xazax View Post
    I only and i mean ONLY do it when I out number the enemy billion to one, And the STUPID auto-calc somehow still lets the enemies get away and fight any other day this is extremely fustrating when their raiding your lands with 1-2 units and you send your stack to kill them and auto-calc it because it seemly doesnt kill all of them you have to fight that same army 3 times.
    I think they mean to be realistic because of the fact that often the loosing side of a battle (at least in the Napoleonic Wars) would loose like 10-20% of their army and the rest would just run away. What they don't factor in is that the armies ran away and didn't come back six months later. Many of the troops deserted and after loosing often more men were killed of starvation and weather because of lost supply lines etc... They also don't factor in wounds in the game.

What ever the reason it is really frustrating.

Icon8 Re: How often do you autoresolve?

I usually use autoresolve when something stupid happens right in the beginning of combat. Reinforcements into behind enemy lines is the one.

(I just hate when this happens. Going to hate/abandon this game for a while and then try again. You cannot even flee with those troops.)

Quote Originally Posted by Deneidez View Post
    I usually use autoresolve when something stupid happens right in the beginning of combat. Reinforcements into behind enemy lines is the one.
    Well, in the case you have in your screenshot, that's just a lost unit because they are very near to the enemy;
    but there also are cases where reinforcements from behind are quite useful.

I had one battle where a single unit of militia came from a similar (but uphill) position; because of them, the enemy had to split his force and was taken out easily.
    My unit suffered heavy losses, but two of the opponents' even more (one routed and the other was exhausted afterwards).

More than 50%. I tend to fight land battles only if they are particularly interesting/epic, or I want to make sure the remnants of an army don't exist (especially for rebels). Land battles are fun but there are just too many of them in a long campaign to play out each one. For naval battles I play more of them, probably over 75% because I love the look of them and the autoroll carries a greater chance of losing a ship against the AI's stack-o-crap.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

having had 2/3 of an army destroyed by an army with 0 men it I'd recommend (at the very least) always saving before you autoresolve.

but then take the decision if it looks reasonable - ie if you lose and the AI army / navy was stronger or you're stronger and you win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12