View Poll Results: How often do you autoresolve?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Autoresolve? Me? NEVER!

4 8.16%
  • I autoresolve only if the odds favor me or the enemy overwhelmingly.

37 75.51%
  • I autoresolve most of the time; who cares about battles if economy and diplomacy are so much fun?

8 16.33%
  • Doesn't apply to me; I only play custom/multiplayer battles.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you autoresolve?

Default How often do you autoresolve?

For me, I don't use autoresolve too often; it's much more fun to actually use the troops you recruited in battles. The way I see it, however complex the campaign management is, it's only a vehicle to watch your empire crush the enemy in direct confrontation.
    But if a full stack is up against a single unit of militia, why even wait for the 3D to load? The battle is over before it even started...
    Also, tastes differ: I had a friend who complained that Shogun:TW wasn't playable because he would never win enough battles; turned out he tried to play it like Civilization and always used autoresolve

So, how's your preference?
    Do you enjoy playing the campaign part so much that you think battles are a waste of time?
    Are you a battle junkie and never skip one, never mind the odds?
    Or do you try to balance time and fun, leaving already decided fights to the AI?

Ataraxie's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How often do you autoresolve?

I do it occaisonally - more often in naval battles that can get tedious upon intercepting the 45th sloop.

Otherwise - on land, not much - I once autoresolved a half stack against One Unit of militia cavalry. Guess who won...
    < Insert ironic/scarily serious nationalist sentiment here >
    Provided Ancillaries for SH's New Map And Slower Expansion For SS6.4
    Provided one or two Unit Descriptions for Shokh's BEIC (ETW)
    Currently working on Settlement Titles & Effects Changes (SS6.4)

I autoresolve when I cant win except with time (for example half stack attacking my defenseless village with 2 citizen regiments) or when the odds are 2:1 or better, or, after the latest patch, when Im attacking fortifications and the odds are in my favor (otherwise I retreat) and nearly always in naval battles. I fight the battle myself when the odds are 1:3 to 2:1 or when I want to try some new strategy or when Im defending fortifications

I got to a point when the battles became so repetitive and tedious that I used autoresolve against my old enemies. I do it when it's a certain victory, or I fluke it sometimes when the enemy outnumbers me.
    "Love is the most pernicious drug of all. Let the romantics debate its existence. Pragmatists accept it and use it."

I only autoresolve when I greatly outnumber the enemy - it's a waste of time waiting for the load screen, getting my troops into position for the single unit of militia to instantly route.

When I am greatly outnumbered, I will generally fight it out though. Even if I have no chance (like 3 armed citizenry against a stack of natives) I know that I can still cause more casualties that way and my avenging army will be along soon enough.

I have to admit that I sometimes use autoresolve to keep the campaign moving, particularly during a seige assault...BUT if my troops lose a close one, I back up and reload the game and fight the thing 3D to make sure I win. The AI sometimes takes way too much credit in its abilities.

This seems to have been a rhetorical question

Quote Originally Posted by Fearghus The Killer View Post
    BUT if my troops lose a close one, I back up and reload the game and fight the thing 3D to make sure I win. The AI sometimes takes way too much credit in its abilities.
    Same here.

I had a full stack attacking a single horse militia, winning but with more than 50 men lost (more than the attacked cavalry even had!). Reloaded, manually fought, lost men: 0.

What also happened to me several times is after an autoresolve against raiding troops, I win but the enemy unit is not destroyed, able to continue raiding... so you'd have to chase 30 men through the province for two turns

I only autoresolve naval battles, and then only if I greatly outnumber the enemy and can afford the loss of at least half my fleet. Auto really does seem to take far more casualties.

I autoresolve when I outnumber the enemy greatly (there is no point in fighting a battle against 19 men)
    and if it is a siege assault (takes ages to reach the wall, climb the wall, crush the defenders on the wall and then you can finnaly use some better strategies) or city assault if the enemy has citizens for the biggest part. And of course indiamen vs indiamen battles or indiamen vs galleons or worse

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

I autoresolve about 3 in 4 battles. Some situations are tedious (Indians, cities, forts) as well as some naval battles where the outcome is obvious. Also, it is the only way to really take advantage of attacking with multiple stacks to overwhelm an enemy; if you play it out, you have to fight with just 20 units, and wait until some of your units are routed/destroyed/withdrawn for others to come as reinforcements.

I almost never autoresolved in Medieval 2... I suppose I liked those battles better.

I autoresolve all naval battles but not land ones, since it gets frustrating when your army cannot finish off a single unit which retreats and lives to annoy you another turn. That is more annoying than the loading and setting up, so it's the lesser of two evils, really.
    Last edited by Rave; July 06, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Absolutely Rave... while I agree with Ulan1990 that it can get tedious fighting a small amount of men, I would rather finish them than have to chase them half way across the countryside. Anyway, if there are only 1-2 units of the enemy, I tend to put the same or less into the battle just to make it interesting.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Only if I'm overwhelmingly strong like if I'm assaulting a city with next to no garrison with half a stack.

I only and i mean ONLY do it when I out number the enemy billion to one, And the STUPID auto-calc somehow still lets the enemies get away and fight any other day this is extremely fustrating when their raiding your lands with 1-2 units and you send your stack to kill them and auto-calc it because it seemly doesnt kill all of them you have to fight that same army 3 times.

I autoresolve during siege battles and when i have a full stack staving off against 1 or 2 units

I auto resolve when the enemy has 1-5 units and i have more than 10.

I auto-resolve every single battle that I can comfortably afford the reinforcement cost.

Before I attack, I will manually position my army so that the enemy will retreat to a convenient direction (ie. not toward the interior of my empire)

trueshadow21's Avatar Foederatus

I hate auto resolve because I play on VH battles and auto resolve will destroy all my forces. I don't mind the losses that much on land but in the naval battles it is ridiculous. I once had 3 Second Rate Ships of the line, 1 First Rate, and 8 Razee frigates go up against one ship that had 0 remaining guns. I lost four of the Razee frigates... I mean, seriously, what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast