View Poll Results: Shall Phier become a Civitate?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PASSED 07/15/09] [Civitate] Phier (Patron: Celsius)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default [PASSED 07/15/09] [Civitate] Phier (Patron: Celsius)

Client: Phier
    A discussion forum without discussion is a geocities site, bereft of value and worthy only of our contempt. Since my arrival I have done nothing but obsessively contribute to said discussion at a disturbing pace of 20 posts a day, which being I don't post quite every day, is sort of scary. And yet I do so as an outsider, a lower organism, a interloper. My dating advice alone should be worthy of citizenship, and my contributions to the D&D forum put me well above the unwashed masses looking for free ETW mods. Well maybe not the mud pit, but when you make 20 posts a day, not all of them are going to be gems.

Ok, funny language aside, this is the best debating site I've been on in my far to many years on the internet (my first trip to this land was in 1988, though it had no name), and I'd be happy to join the ranks of those who make this site what it is.

Patron: Celsius
    Phier has not been a member of TWC very long. But in his short time he has managed to debate more than members who have been here for years. He consistently posts in the Discussion & Debate threads getting points across. All of his post are well above par and rank pretty high up there. He is now one of the main posters in the D&D forums and continues to post statements that are within TWC limits, yet send a message. I believe Phier would make an excellent addition to the TWC Civitate Family

Thank you.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: [Civitate] Phier (Patron: Celsius)

Hmmm, this will take a while to look through, as he hasn't given us any actual links of his major debates and better posts. His application makes him seem a bit up himself, though....

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

My first impressions:

• Mainly a responder to other posts
    • focus is on the Mudpit (posted in 528 D&D threads in total --126 EMM threads, 240 Mudpit threads)
    • There are a handful of discussions started with followup posts
    • Mainly a discussion and philosophy based posted with very few posts contributing outside materials to the discussion
    • Pretty well within the the rules and the spirit of the rules as we have posted them in the ToS.
    Is this enough to count for a contribution? I am leaning towards a yes, but there will need to be a bit more discussed before I decide.

I will be interested in how CdeC councilors look upon this application after the discussion with deleted.
    Last edited by Viking Prince; July 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: reference to another applicant deleted
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Phier is certainly an active poster and a good debater, I've known and watched him for a while, but to be honest, nothing ever jumped out at me and waved a flag saying yes, this is amazing, this guy should be a citizen. I'm not sure on content the citizenship criteria is made out.

however, I suppose an argument can be made for contribution as well. This guy may not be the next Cicero, but he has an active and strong debator and frequently involves himself. His contributions do further the debate. While few of them jump out as being amazing, and argument can be made that he is consistently good. Not the highest quality, but not a mindless poster either. somewhere in the middle. This could go either way

Civitate

Suit yourselves. I've debated with him a LOT and I think, although we like to argue a lot and are at odds, he is certainly one of the better debaters in there at the moment. Not all his posts are long essays and links and quotes, but his rhetorical ability, devil's advocate and grasp of the issues and ability to present arguments are all excellent. His attitude is very positive too, even in hot disagreements, such as with me. He will be useful to the Curia and is definitley deserving of that civitate badge in my humble opinion. I'll definitley be voting yes.

EDIT: I've made up my mind, Phier's wit and smart posts have convinced me to vote yes (see below).
    Last edited by Astaroth; July 10, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Яome kb8 View Post
    Suit yourselves. I've debated with him a LOT and I think, although we like to argue a lot and are at odds, he is certainly one of the better debaters in there at the moment. Not all his posts are long essays and links and quotes, but his rhetorical ability, devil's advocate and grasp of the issues and ability to present arguments are all excellent. His attitude is very positive too, even in hot disagreements, such as with me. He will be useful to the Curia and is definitley deserving of that civitate badge in my humble opinion. I'll definitley be voting yes.
    He's also a hell of a lot like you.

Haven't made up my mind yet. To be honest it might just be the atmosphere of the Mudpit, but it seems like there's more arguing down of points than presenting of points, not only in Phier's posts but in general. You'd think that presenting your own stance would come primarily before debunking another stance, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Will mull on it and read more posts before making my decision.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    He's also a hell of a lot like you.
    You what!? Sir, I challenge you to a duel.

PS. Can I point out the difference between Civitate and Phalera? Civitate is for good debating overall, Phalera is for TG style essay debate.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Яome kb8 View Post
    You what!? Sir, I challenge you to a duel.
    You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

It would be good if we could see into the future for what a prospective citizen might do once he got the citizenship, especially these people who get it for a large debating contribution If we could see that they'd hang around the Prothalamos and contribute opinions and discuss motions, then I'd be quite happy to put someone like Phier through, just as he's sitting on the borderline. Sadly we can't do that...

He has a very aggressive posting style but so long as he remains on the right side of the ToS, I will vote yes. He's a good, active debater.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Poll added.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I haven't commented as I have just begun to look over his posts, but here goes. He is a very intelligent poster. He has a high amount of posts for such a short time as a member, but most posts seem to be well composed. Not too many one liners out there. Usually with someone that has been a member such a short time I would be more reserved, but his activity has me throwing that out the window. I'm still not sure will have to look more but am leaning toward a yes.
    Last edited by y2day; July 09, 2009 at 06:45 AM.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Decided to vote yes in the end. If he participates in the Curia, he will be one good addition.

Actually, I've spent more time reading through his posts and changed my mind. While he doesn't write long essays he makes many good points and refrains from flaming others. In the end, his wit convinced me. Could you please change my vote to yes, Soulghast?
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

On balance, I believe a yes vote is the appropriate vote, but this is certainly a decision reached on the balance of probability rather than beyond all reasonable doubt.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Voted Yes as well.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Astaroth's vote changed to Yes.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

I see him a lot in the D&D and I like his posts. I'll say aye.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    I haven't commented as I have just begun to look over his posts, but here goes. He is a very intelligent poster. He has a high amount of posts for such a short time as a member, but most posts seem to be well composed. Not too many one liners out there. Usually with someone that has been a member such a short time I would be more reserved, but his activity has me throwing that out the window.
    ^ This

His posts are well formulated and constructive by and large. I wasn't taken aback by extraordinary posts, but the overall consistency of the member to produce quality posts is enough to warrant citizenship. I still agree with my earlier assessment as well. A yes from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast