Thread: Can't drag formations with right mouse button

Default Can't drag formations with right mouse button

Hi people,

I have a problem actually since a few years already. Since MTW2 Patch 1.2 maybe, but I don't know if it's related to a patch anyway.

I can't drag formations with the right mouse button. It just clicks on the point so that a unit only moves there without the desired formation. That's so annoying.

Any solution?

Default Re: Can't drag formations with right mouse button

Disregard, my mistake.
    Last edited by RMSN NIKE; July 05, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Riddle me this, riddle me that:
    Who was my first commander?
    How many of me are active right now?
    And who drank a Delacourt '27 when received the commandership of me?

Unforgivable! Just like crusades on Antioch...

Have you assigned them into a group by chance? When units are assigned in a group they will retain the formation they were in when you formed the group.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Sorry I mean only one unit. What I mean is selecting a unit with the left button and then dragging it to a desired lenght or width with the right button. I can't do that in my game. It seems that my game only recognises the first right click but not the dragging afterwards. yes and I am holding the right button thereby.
    Last edited by magma; July 05, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Sknit's Avatar Biarchus

Are you using any mods at all?
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
    - Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

mods shouldn't affect it

Atm I'm playing only Broken Crescent, but as far as I remember it occured also with Kingdoms. It tends to be more when the game lags a bit but I am not sure about that. I will test this out. Yesterday surprisingly it didn't happen at all while I was playing BC. I am wondering also that nobody else has this problem.

do you have show_battle_markers = 1 or true or similar in the .cfg?

Indefinitely Banned

Could you show a pic, all of this guy's have helped you but I would like to see pic when you do it.

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

Here's what I'd do:

Check your mouse button is working - Open MS Paint, and draw with the Right button (Note. The default 'ink' for the right button is white! Change it by Right clicking the palette at the bottom). If it doesn't work, I'd buy a new mouse, however, you may want to try the following, just in case...
    Check for and, if any, install new mouse drivers.
    If it's a USB mouse unplug everything except for the mouse, and keyboard. It's probably a good idea to do a restart, and then try TW... Still no good...
    I'm not sure which route I'd take next, not knowing your machine, you could try closing down as many background tasks as you dare, including anti-virus, firewall etc, or go for a reinstall of Total War. I'd be doing both, I just don't know which way is suitable for you.
    If that doesn't work, I'd be reinstalling Windows, drivers and TW, nothing else.
    If that doesnt work, you may well have a hardware error, probably motherboard, which will cost money... There is also the question of how old is your PC? it maybe that it is just too creaky to play Med2...

Hope something helps, and I do hope it's not hardware!

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

First of all thanks for your help.
    @miniwally: I haven't got such an entry neither in the MTW2 cfg nor in the brokencrescent cfg.
    @artist from bruges: It's not really possible to show this on a picture, but I could upload a picture to support what I mean.
    @zzzms: I tried that with paint. It works as it should. I am quite sure that itīs not a hardware malfunction. I could reinstall MTW2 again but as far as I remember I had this also with former installations. But I will reinstall the game in the next days when nothing else helps. I am playing on a laptop with Core2Duo 2.0 Ghz and Ati 3650. The game runs mostly smooth only few lags. I will ckeck if it's related only to lags.

One addition. Instead of changing unit length or width with the right button it comes only one click as I said or also often many clicks in series but not the dragging.