Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Realism | Feedback + General Discussion (until incl. 3.7, defunct thread)

Default Re: Empire Realism | Feedback + General Discussion

Do you have a change log done up?

almost done, still working on it, but thinking about how to make it less huge..

btw, got an idea for ER 3.1, I plan to create comprehensive table with all factors included for unit cost and upkeep. Something similar was done for Rear Combat/ Real Recruitment Mod for M2TW i have participated few years back. Maybe i will redefine upkeep a little bit as a combination of resource cost, recruitment pool and other factors together (equipment cost, soldier salary etc)
    Last edited by JaM; September 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

i just got a very radical idea about unit upkeep - Currently if you loose army, you actually gain a lot of money as you dont have to pay your destroyed troops... Thing is, this is not exactly correct - loosing army should cost you a lot instead of providing significant money benefit... Therefore, i'm thinking about system where this would be no t an issue - instead, upkeep would represent just soldier salary, cost of ammo, food etc.. nothing else. Every other cost would be added to initial unit cost instead. This means units will cost a lot more money, but once fielded, it would be better to keep them than had to recruit them again...

For example now, Line Infantry costs about 1200 while it has upkeep of 250 which is almost 1/4 of unit cost. This means you pay the regiment cost every 2 years... Instead, i'm thinking about setting the cost let say 2-3x higher 2400-3600, while upkeep will be lower based on mentioned factors (let say 80-125). This would make building big army quite costly, but once you have it, it would not cost you as much as fielding new regiments... this would also make any battle where you loose an army almost like catastrophe..

what do you think?

don t get it, why should losing an army cost a lot ?

As I mentioned I play with unit cost x 3 always. Problem is in late game it simply doesn t matter anymore, because I have so many provinces. ...

btw. would it be complicated to integreate Ornamentum mod. And would it be compatible ? If not, why ?
    Last edited by phoen!x; September 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Integrating Ornamentum mod would mean voice bug. Units would use incorrect voices (infantry saying they are cavalry or artillery etc...) that is the only thing that holds me from using it.

adding it on top of ER, would cause that ornamentum units would have completly different stats, so they will be overpowered/underpowered in comparation to other units.

And about the losses - pricier is unit, more it costs to retrain it. Why should it cost you when you loose an army? because countries invested a lot of money into army, its training and equipment... and all that will be lost... (anyway, this is something that might get implemented in next versions, not in about to be released ER3
    Last edited by JaM; September 30, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

as promised: Empire Realism 3 (beta)

short change log:

- improved starting positions
    - combat overhaul - rate of fire, morale, hiding etc
    - technology overhaul

a lot more, detailed changelog will be provided with full release

great thank you

ok, here s the feedback:

saw a lot of cool things like invisible fire from woods and new textures. But also some things I would like to mention.

first is the fleeing system. I think it is a great idea to let soldiers soon flee away after they notice the fight is not to win. But then they must regroup again! And much too often they don t do and whole regiments just flee away. And it also seems that even the general has no influence at all. It would be perfect if armies could flee and then meet somewhere, regroup and march back to fight. Maybe even collected somewhere by general, if necasarry.

Ammo is still much too much. And no aspect in gameplay.

And late French Line Infantry. Great to see new units and skins. And, of course, the uniform is correct. But the white of the jacket front looks very artificial. Like white plasic shining in the sun. Perhaps just a bit darker at that spot at the front edges of the jacket.
    Last edited by phoen!x; October 01, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

thanks.

General adds to morale once he is in vicinity. His impact might be not enough sometimes to bring routed men back - thing is, it depends on type of rout - if unit suffered bad casualties, it wont return. anyway, if you use general together with your attacking units, his influence is a big boost to morale. Anyway, i will try to adjust upper morale penalties down a bit so it would be possible to rally them more often.

Ammo is most of the time 20-25 rounds per unit. in my test battles i run off ammo several times. historically, units carried 60 rounds of ammo, and it was possible to resuply in the middle of battle, so giving them less ammo would make it less realistic.
    Last edited by JaM; October 01, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

few more things:

light infantry got attackted from officer and fled then. I even think that one unit wanted to flee during the march to battle. I think a bit more morale (or whatever) wouldn t hurt. Not only for General rally ability. This also wouldn t effect AI. Since it doesn t use the General.

The indians in the campaign don t attack anymore. Most just stand around to wait to get killed.

It would be cool if all light units could walk invisible. And all infantry indian units. That would make the game much more interesting. Don t know much about terrain. Only that I can t differ between high, low and no grass in battle from bird persoective ...

not exactly sure what causing native passivity in battle.. sometimes they come aggressively, and sometimes they just stand and wait.. will try to increase some stats a little to see if it has any influence.

which light infantry run off? if I remember correctly, their stats are quite similar to Line infantry, except some units don't have bayonets, so they have no anticavalry bonuses. Will check the morale stats.

english/13colonies native musketmen auxillary, no bayonet ^^

yeah, those are basic skirmishers type, i'm actually considering how best portraying native indian auxiliary.. right now they are just average, with stats similar to militia, but equiped with light infantry muskets which are more accurate than standard flintlocks, but slightly slower to reload (to model the slower aimed fire). Their stats again cavalry are pretty bad, which is something all natives have similar.

well actually I would keep them this way. But it all meets at one point: how likely is it that units regroup again. Here they lost 3 soldiers and regrouped. But what would happen when they lose 50 % ? 50 % is still quite a lot ... And I ve seen whole regiments flee. I mean, for my taste, they shouldn t flee above 30 % or because of some kind of seldom shock.

What is not good, for excample is: that a unit shoots five to ten minutes, loses some soldiers, and then retreats and never comes back. This also wouldn t be realistic. If the problem is not solvable, some other morale stats should be improved.

Especially for those native troops it would be good to be invisible the most time. So the possibility of soon cavallery attacks is relatively low. You should play around with visability and the descovering range of units in cennection with light infantry units. Best would be not to see them until they are in spotting range or they attack.

edit: and perhaps shooting range for light inf should be longer than spotting range. Guess this would create some interesting effects.

Same for line infantry and cav in woods (invisible moving and standing). Perhaps even AI could be made to use this but I doubt it and it might be very time intensive ...

Besides Arty crew should run away befor or during they get overrun. (and come back) And you should have a look at french pike column formation. They are unarmed until enemy in range. And are always standing around in this formation doing nothing for a while.
    Last edited by phoen!x; October 02, 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Have you run test with units that have some experience, or those were 0 exp units? Every exp point adds to unit morale, so more experienced troops hold longer, while green troops might bail out after even light damage. that is the design intention.

I gave Light infantry less spotting range than skirmishers, but more than Line infantry, so while skirmishers can hide from everybody and they wont be spotted, lights are not as good. Only skirmisher class is able to hide anywhere, and also fire from hidden position.

Arty crew morale now differs based on gun tech - early 18.century fixed guns crews have very low morale so they will bail out immediately, while more advanced artillery crew has more training so will stand longer. Last tier Horse Guard Artillery has same level of morale as any Elite Guard unit and will fight like them.

Usually I test in costum battle and there every of my units gets two experience stripes also enemy usually. The Natives were tested in a campaign and didn t have experience. I don t base the testing on expierence. I watch the difference, that I see towards the last version. Since I leave all parameters the same. And it s a loaded game, so I can have a good compairision.

The main Problem with an experience System is that after a while the own units are level Master General or something and the other nations are still "green". So I would stop the System at three stripes or so (for excample no additional bonuses anymore). Because own units always get refilled.

Spotting range system sounds sensibel.

Had another game in the campaign with two generals apparent. Went quite well. I let one dismount and added him to the skirmish soldiers and the other one did command the line Infantry. Actually I almost ran completely out of ammo. And I think one of the generals had 3 stars or so. Does the amount of stars has an influence ? Does it hava an influence whether an officer is on horse or not, for getting shot at ?

Despite a skirmish unit resisted a melee attack of one line infantry+1 milita unit, those were allredy slightly tired. Don t know whether this is suppost to be.

Yes, dismounted general is even smaller target.command stars adds to overall unit's morale, more stars general has, bigger is the bonus.

perhaps you could also make captains? Cheaper and with simplier bodyguards ? To have several in the battle.

Thing is they will occupy more slots, so you will end with less combat units.